What Rates are you getting right now? When Should I refi?

What Rates are you getting right now? When Should I refi?

Rental Property Investor · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 218 posts · 138 votes

Hey BP! I'm sure everyone is actively watching the news and their impact on mortgage rates.

I'm personally losing sleep wondering if I can save more by waiting, or should I just lock in the rates today.

For those of us with loans that are well above market rate, the question of the day is: Will rates continue moving down from here? Or should a person refi immediately?

Second question that I think would help everyone: if you just got a quote, what was the rate, LTV and lender?

Thanks in advance!

2Reply
281 views

Most Popular Reply

John MorganPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y

@Sean McCluskey

I did a cash out refi on a SFR I own outright in June. My rate for a 15 year loan was 4.125% with 1.9 points. Took 4 weeks to get the cash. Not great, but not bad for an investment loan.

See this reply in the discussion

75 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · NY/NJ/PA · Member since 2018 · 758 posts · 935 votes
    7y

    Also anyone who is looking to refi or purchase a primary, if you have a large banking relationship (or start one) with any of the large banks, they will bend over back for you on your mortgage.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Member since 2018 · 102 posts · 103 votes
    7y

    @Tim Johnson

    Which lender is this? I would be interested in refinancing at this rate

  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    7y

    refi immediately

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Member since 2018 · 102 posts · 103 votes
    7y

    @Kevin Blanchard

    which lender provided this quote? I would be interested at this rate

  • Lender · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2018 · 703 posts · 446 votes
    7y
    I''m a broker, on the loan.  We are licensed in Michigan, Texas, Florida, Colorado.

    I can help you out if your in one of those states.

    Originally posted by @Brett Lee:

    @Tim Johnson

    Which lender is this? I would be interested in refinancing at this rate

  • Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 60 votes
    7y

    I know this is a dumb question, but are you even allowed to do a CO Refi if you would end up with a HIGHER rate than your current one?  I have roughly $300K in equity on my primary but the rate is 3.625%.  I'm assuming any CO I got would have a higher rate than that.  Thanks in advance!

  • Lender · Orlando, FL · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Not a Dumb question! Yes you are still allowed to do a CO refi because the net benefit to you would be the cash you're receiving even if the rate increases slightly.

  • Member since 2019 · 58 posts · 60 votes
    7y

    Great news!   I knew a R/T Refi would be a no-go with a higher rate, but couldn't remember on the CO.  Thanks, Arthur!

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Sean McCluskey We just closed on a duplex two days ago under our LLC. 20% down payment, 4.6% interest amortized over 25 years, 10 year balloon. Local bank that we've done business with previously. We also do not escrow taxes and insurance, so that money isn't sitting dead in the lenders account for 6 months at a time.

    Personally, I'd lock in now if I had a property under agreement. 

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Chad McLeod:

    I know this is a dumb question, but are you even allowed to do a CO Refi if you would end up with a HIGHER rate than your current one?  I have roughly $300K in equity on my primary but the rate is 3.625%.  I'm assuming any CO I got would have a higher rate than that.  Thanks in advance!

    Cash out is considered a benefit to the borrower

  • Rental Property Investor · Lowell, MA · Member since 2019 · 33 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    @Sean McCluskey about to close on a cash out refi on my owner occupied 4 family. Locked a 3.5% rate, 80% LTV, smaller local bank.

  • Lender · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Sean McCluskey

    That is right! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Cole Raiford Great color. You’re getting 30yrs on loans for investment properties?

  • Rental Property Investor · Gulfport, MS · Member since 2018 · 113 posts · 133 votes
    7y

    @Miguel Salaverria yes, 30 year fixed

  • Rental Property Investor · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 218 posts · 138 votes
    7y

    Wow @Kevin Blanchard, @Forrest L., @Taylor Shaw, @Sam Adcock, @Syed H., @Curtis Rasmussen, @Michael Cleary, @Nicholas Baughman, @Alan Grobmeier, @Tony Kim, @Manuel Fontan, these are great rates! Thanks so much for sharing, this is what makes Biggerpockets such a great community!

    It's incredible how wide the variation in quotes can be for the same borrower. I got a quote from a popular internet lender, they tried to get $10k in points (1.6 points) for a 3.99% rate on my primary residence! 80% LTV, 780+ FICO. Crazy talk.

    Then I talked to my primary banking relationship, and they said if I was able to lock today it would be 3.3%, but they need a full underwriting and can't finish it until Monday. Now I'm holding my fingers crossed.

    Going to call a mortgage broker back as well, who seemed very honest, and see what she can put together from the market.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Johnson City, TN · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @Sean McCluskey

    We are doing cash out refi with our local credit union. 4.5% 10/5 Arm 25 yr Amortization. Was super happy. Locked in a week or so before feds cut rate so now wondering what it would have been if I had waited a bit.

  • Rental Property Investor · Twin Cities, MN · Member since 2019 · 122 posts · 150 votes
    7y

    Closing on the 15th SFR 15% Down 5.375 30 year fixed. Current refi in the works at 3.375... no points ....

    - Make your money on the buy!

  • Rental Property Investor · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 218 posts · 138 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed is that a refi of the SFR that you're closing on the 15th? 3.375 with no points on an 85% LTV is great, can I ask who your lender is?

  • Rental Property Investor · Twin Cities, MN · Member since 2019 · 122 posts · 150 votes
    7y

    @Sean McCluskey 

    UHM United Wholesale Mortgage, and no the closing today was 85% 5.375 with no points - SFR.

    Refi closes in 2 weeks at 3.375 no points same lender, but personal residence. 

    Respectfully 

    Larkin L Adey

  • Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Big question is with fed expected to cut rates possibly another 2 times this year, when is the best time to refi?

  • Rental Property Investor · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 218 posts · 138 votes
    7y

    @Adam Kay I think that these rate cuts are already being priced into the forward yield curve. The real question is, will the new larger spread between the 10 year treasury and the mortgage backed securities that our individual 30-year mortgages feed into, remain in place? Or, will MBS yields chase the 10-year treasury downwards when fixed income investors start looking for yield again?

    I'm betting that the spread maintains itself longer than I want to wait, as fixed income investors currently want to lock in safety and the MBSes already traded on the market are going to be faced with substantial refi prepayments (which no new MBS buyers would want to receive right now, without a place to reinvest the proceeds).

  • Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Great point @Sean McCluskey! And thank you for the quick education in MBS!

  • South Jersey, NJ · Member since 2014 · 154 posts · 50 votes
    7y

    Yup, my 3.8% quote was for primary not investment.. I’m seriously getting so tired of the incompetency of the people in the world.  It feel it’s a constant battle trying to make sure someone else’s stupidity doesn’t interfere with my success.  True rate 4.5%... skipping the cash out, going to raise hell for standard refi since I didn’t bother shopping around when I heard 3.8.  I’m hoping for 4.25 or less for standard refi with recent drop in 10 year. 

  • Scott TitusPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Lake Ozark, MO · Member since 2017 · 102 posts · 86 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Sean McCluskey 

    UHM United Wholesale Mortgage, and no the closing today was 85% 5.375 with no points - SFR.

    Larkin Do they have a minimum loan amount and a seasoning period? Seems like a good option to refi into after BRRR'ing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.