Rewire or not?

10 Replies

Anyone rewire any units in Oklahoma lately? I'm bidding on a property that is 60 years old. It's going to need a higher amperage box and since the drywall will be out anyway, I'm thinking that the old wiring should be replaced? Is this a good idea? I have never had this done so I have no idea what it costs? Pros and cons? This will be a flip not a rental.

1100 sq ft
3 bed 1 bath. B

I decided to rewire the whole house on my latest purchase. It had ungrounded outlets throughout, and many of the fixtures were wired with extension cords tacked to the ceiling/wall and plugged into an outlet. After opening up the walls in the kitchen and removing the cabinets, I found that although the fridge and dishwasher were plugged into one of the few grounded outlets in the house (there were two in the kitchen), under the cabinet the outlet was wired with an extension cord that plugged into one of those grey two-prong converters that was then plugged into an ungrounded outlet (!).

You'll really need to evaluate the specific house before deciding. This one was a no-brainer. The total rewiring, including installing new fixtures and a new breaker box in a different location, will be about $8k for an 1800 SF house.

If you are going to rewire the house now is the time. Removing drywall can make electrical repairs all that much more expensive. I'm not sure how many breakers you will need switched out. For me I had a low amp breaker with a dryer on it and it kept tripping. About $300 for that one breaker and rewiring.

I just remodeled a unit in Shawnee, ok. It required a new breaker box moved out of a new bath space outside on an exterior wall. I also had the electrician tighten up a few other issues. Material and labor was about $800.  When in doubt I always just do the electrical. Mine are holds but I have found the cost to be very reasonable and it is not fun replacing things after tenants move in. I assume an inspection will notify buyers that the wiring is still old. I have found it is a big selling point to say the electrical is updated. Tenants see it as a safety issue. 

Paul Choate JD | 405‑426‑9677

@Jason Douthitt  Yes, if you can: do it!  For that size house, probably around 5k.

Originally posted by @Jason Douthitt :

Anyone rewire any units in Oklahoma lately? I'm bidding on a property that is 60 years old. It's going to need a higher amperage box and since the drywall will be out anyway, I'm thinking that the old wiring should be replaced? Is this a good idea? I have never had this done so I have no idea what it costs? Pros and cons? This will be a flip not a rental.

1100 sq ft
3 bed 1 bath. B

I believe I would place electrical upgrade as a high priority item on my rehab list. Modern society (unlike 60 years ago) uses a LOT of electrical devices that draw a LOT of power and we demand to have plugs including GFI's at proper locations. You might not recoup 100% of the cost but it will for sure make for a quicker sale.

Is the old Ford Glass plant still in operation out there in Broken Arrow? I worked there a years ago on a furnace rebuild construction project seems like we played some bingo at the Indian reservation while we were there LOL.  Have a great day and good luck with your rehab.  

The cost of rewiring is worth knowing the unit won't experience an electrical fire.

As a follow up @Jason Douthitt  , this is what we found under the light fixture in the kitchen (after we decided to rewire the hole house). I don't want to think of what may have happened if we didn't rewire it. I'm surprised the house didn't burn down when this happened.

@Kent Verge   that might have been from an old ballast gone bad.  I have been to quite a few fires from bad ballasts.  It might pay to take a heat gun and walk through all your rentals and check their heat on the lights.  I don't know how many times we have been called to a burning smell they cannot find and its a light ballast.

I don't think I have a florescent fixture in any of the other properties (except one garage), and this one is getting replaced with cans.

Hi Jason,

For Flip I would change out the wiring if it is knob and tube for sure.  If its romex already then I would just update the panel.