Good used appliance store in Philly

4 Replies

Dear Philly investors, 

Would you know of any good used appliance store in Philly. And what kind of appliances do you usually put into your rental units, used or new ?

All the stores are pretty much the same, IMHO. I put used stoves, washers, dryers and refrigerators in my units. I negotiate a 90 day full replacement warranty when I buy used appliances, including pickup and delivery. Some will, some won't; if they won't, you move on. If the appliance makes it past 90 days you'll likely get many years of service out of them. I have them throw in cords, stainless hoses, etc. 

Also, tell them you're a landlord with multiple properties and you're looking for a place to supply all of your appliances and build a relationship. 

Lower end rentals, clean and works are all I care about. The mid-grade stuff, the kitchens are nicer and the appliances usually match in finish but you can get away with black and stainless together. Higher end rentals would be all new, all the time. 

Originally posted by @Troy S.:

All the stores are pretty much the same, IMHO. I put used stoves, washers, dryers and refrigerators in my units. I negotiate a 90 day full replacement warranty when I buy used appliances, including pickup and delivery. Some will, some won't; if they won't, you move on. If the appliance makes it past 90 days you'll likely get many years of service out of them. I have them throw in cords, stainless hoses, etc. 

Also, tell them you're a landlord with multiple properties and you're looking for a place to supply all of your appliances and build a relationship. 

Lower end rentals, clean and works are all I care about. The mid-grade stuff, the kitchens are nicer and the appliances usually match in finish but you can get away with black and stainless together. Higher end rentals would be all new, all the time. 

thank you for you response. do you put washer and dryer into the lower end rentals/section 8 tenants ?

Hi Eli,

When I was active in real estate, I bought new Home Depot appliances.  The delivery crew is professional and the service is great.  Just be sure to buy the proper connections for them to install the equipment.  Prices are also start at quite reasonable levels ($400ish for stoves, $500ish for refrigerators, etc.).  I believe the durability of a new appliance will save you headaches in the long run.

Originally posted by @Eli M. :
Originally posted by @Troy S.:

thank you for you response. do you put washer and dryer into the lower end rentals/section 8 tenants ?

I don't have any of those right now but, when I did, if they had hookups, I'd supply. Not sure I'd spend the money to run hookups for them if not existing.