I need a new roof on my latest flip, NEW GC said he wants the full $6100 down because its not my primary residence. He won't sign the invoice until its paid in full (and I live across the state). I called one reference and he seems to check out.
Stetchy?
DO NOT MAKE THAT PAYMENT!!!!!!!!!
It is illegal in MA for a contractor to require more then 1/3 of the cost of the job upfront unless there are custom materials that total more than 1/3, then they can charge the amount of the custom materials.
Check out line #6 ...
The following fourteen items must be included in any contract between a homeowner and a registered home improvement contractor for home improvement work. Homeowners and contractors with questions about required contract terms or the Home Improvement Contractor program, should contact the Office.
Hi @Drew Denham. There may be legitimate reasons for a contractor to need all funds upfront, but I've yet to hear one. Certainly, "because its not my primary residence" is not one of them. Why on earth would that matter?
Yes, contractors have hard costs for materials. I'd be willing to pay for that. But a huge chunk of that estimate is labor, and there's no way I'd pay that in advance. BTW, his invoice did breakdown labor vs materials, right?
Lastly, one reference means nothing. Find out who the active rehabbers in your area use for roofing. I'm betting it's not this guy!
offer to buy the material only. Anything more than that is unacceptable.
And when I say buy material, means you pay the store for the material, not give the contractor money.
I wouldn't make that payment. Even if he is honest, what is the incentive to finish on time? If you really want to use him. Pay for the materials directly and then for the difference when completed. Or use a credit card with a set completion date.
Did you get multiple quotes? I just had a roof done in another state. Got 3 written bids. 2 contractors found via national web based service. Low bid $10k, high bid $17k.. Best quote came from a roofing contractor not a GC. None of the contractors called for full pymt up front. Paying a contractor in full up front should not be an option.
Find another contractor. You could offer to just pay materials as well but I'd say at this point find someone else. Good luck!
Even though it's a personal home, my neighbor is going something like that right now. She is older and she had leak from the roof, she pulled money together to get it fixed. A Jack-of-All-Trades type of guy told her he could get it done and gave her the whole spiel to make her confident in him. She paid him in full and did not see or hear from him for more than 2 weeks, its not until she had her daughter and her son-in-law involved that he started bringing in equipment. The actual work did not begin until about 3 days ago. As Michael Jones said, most of the money is for the labor, the material is cheap, so why are you paying for labor that has not been done yet?
I would recommend never paying 100% upfront since you have no recourse or leverage in case things aren’t done as expected.
Although ideally you can control costs by paying materials directly, I’m not opposed to a small down payment (20-30%) for a larger job which translates to their materials and a setup usually.
That said, in my experience, most folks who are seasoned contractors don’t ask for prepaid payment in full. If they do, you bear 100% risk where it should be shared.
@Drew Denham Call my buddy Clay Powell at RPOA!
@Drew Denham That seems absurd. Here is Massachusetts I usually do half up front and half after job is done. I have also had a couple of roofers ask for all at completion of the job and nothing upfront.
I need a new roof on my latest flip, NEW GC said he wants the full $6100 down because its not my primary residence. He won't sign the invoice until its paid in full (and I live across the state). I called one reference and he seems to check out.
Stetchy?
No. No. No
Do not do it
PLENTY of selective scammers who are GREAT with the majority of customers and they use them for their rwferrances and outright steal from the other customers
I would Drop that contractor like a hot potato.
I now only buy materials upfront and no pay upfront.
I'm working on roof and siding repairs from hail back in May. The roofing guy (doing windows and doors, too) doesn't want any payment until the job is complete. Doors are done, I expect the roof this month, but the windows can't be done until spring. No payment until after the windows are done. I picked a stucco company over a slightly cheaper bid because the cheaper guy wanted a third up front and wouldn't budge. The one I went with doesn't get paid until the project is complete.
Find a different roofer.
With contractors if you pay 100% upfront, what do you use as leverage if it is not done right?
Most roofers do not last long in the business may be 7 years. I paid 1/3 upfront, 1/3 mid point and rest after completion.
I am a contractor for 37 years. If you are a flipper or another contractor and I have not done any business with you before, I have most of my money before my guys do any work. The rest as I am completing the job.
Most of my work is done with a deposit of $100 and balance upon completion. Home owners pay their bills. Flippers or contractors not so much.
DO NOT MAKE THAT PAYMENT!!!!!!!!!
It is illegal in MA for a contractor to require more then 1/3 of the cost of the job upfront unless there are custom materials that total more than 1/3, then they can charge the amount of the custom materials.
Check out line #6 ...
The following fourteen items must be included in any contract between a homeowner and a registered home improvement contractor for home improvement work. Homeowners and contractors with questions about required contract terms or the Home Improvement Contractor program, should contact the Office.
DO NOT MAKE THAT PAYMENT!!!!!!!!!
It is illegal in MA for a contractor to require more then 1/3 of the cost of the job upfront unless there are custom materials that total more than 1/3, then they can charge the amount of the custom materials.
Check out line #6 ...
The following fourteen items must be included in any contract between a homeowner and a registered home improvement contractor for home improvement work. Homeowners and contractors with questions about required contract terms or the Home Improvement Contractor program, should contact the Office.
501 Boylston Street, Suite 5100, Boston, MA 02116
OP isn’t in MA
No, but there's likely similar laws in most states.
@Drew Denham I'm with everyone else. Find someone else. I know too many people who have been taken by large upfront costs.