Seeking honest/competent Columbus, OH contractors

9 Replies

Hi, recently went into contract on a duplex in Columbus, OH needing moderate renovations across the entirety of the property. I'm seeking recommendations on any honest and competent general contractors that you've worked with in the past. Right now just hoping to get a few itemized quotes on the job at hand. A bonus if he/she has RE investing experience themselves and/or experience in the Franklin Park/OTE/South of Main areas. Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by @Brandon Sturgill:

@Daniel Judge Lilley Ave? 

Hi Brandon, that's the one. Would be interested to hear a pro's thoughts, if you're willing to offer them.

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Local Home Improvement Pros!
Check out our network of trusted, local contractors for all of your home improvement projects.
Find a Contractor

@Daniel Judge Have you received any contractor estimates...a quick glance says $12k-$15k per side to get rent ready...but we'd need to talk about systems...plumbing, electric, HVAC...that flex duct upstairs needs to go...all-in-all it's heavy cosmetics...just matters how much you want to spend on the finishes...little things add up quickly. Most of our strictly cosmetic renovations are between $4,000-$7,000 per unit...Lilley is a bit bigger and has some nuances due to the age...

I think the main issue is the availability of contractors...I have 2 guys we use...and they are at least a month our from being free. The best approach is to draft a scope....if you want to get accurate on costs. I can send you an example if you don't have a template you use already. This is really the most difficult part of the business...are you local? 

Originally posted by @Brandon Sturgill:

@Daniel Judge Have you received any contractor estimates...a quick glance says $12k-$15k per side to get rent ready...but we'd need to talk about systems...plumbing, electric, HVAC...that flex duct upstairs needs to go...all-in-all it's heavy cosmetics...just matters how much you want to spend on the finishes...little things add up quickly. Most of our strictly cosmetic renovations are between $4,000-$7,000 per unit...Lilley is a bit bigger and has some nuances due to the age...

I think the main issue is the availability of contractors...I have 2 guys we use...and they are at least a month our from being free. The best approach is to draft a scope....if you want to get accurate on costs. I can send you an example if you don't have a template you use already. This is really the most difficult part of the business...are you local? 

Thanks, I really appreciate you taking the time to look it over and giving some impressions. I'm very new to this as this is my first property. Haven't received any contractor quotes yet, but I could live with your numbers if they end up being accurate. I'm actually having a hard time getting a return call from any contractors thus far. If everything goes through on the purchase, I'd be looking to start work in about a month or so. I ended up paying cash, so holding costs shouldn't be bad at all, but I would still like to hit the ground running. 

That'd be awesome if you're willing to share your SOW example. Thanks in advance for that. As for finding a contractor, I saw in a different thread where you (I think it was you, at least) linked to an airtable.com list of local contractors (I am local to the Columbus area). I was thinking about continuing with some of the names listed on your list until I get some calls back. Just wondering if those were contractors that you've vetted or if it was a compiled list just based on availability?

@Daniel Judge Contractors are swamped here...sometimes months out...it's just the nature of the market...I personally run point as GC and manage trades...we've worked with many of those contractors, and our support staff was keeping records of BBB ratings, Google reviews, and ensuring all license were up-to-date.

Shoot me an email and I'll get something over to look at...

@Brandon Sturgill Thanks, I used that list and have tracked down a few GCs willing to provide a quote. But you're right, probably 50% didn't call me back and I assume they're busy. One guy was nice enough to call me today just to tell me he couldn't do it. Sending you a PM....