Be careful

9 Replies

BP is a great site w/ lots of information and resources out there.  However, no matter how great of a job everyone does here, there will always be those looking to take advantage of others.  I am not going to say if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is, but if someone is unable to answer simple questions, avoid your concerns, or is requesting money without giving you all of the information you would need- Be careful.

@Pete T.  ,

Anyone in particular we should be aware of?

Sound advice either way!

EVERYONE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR OWN DUE DILIGENCE!!

AND NOT SURPRISINGLY, DON'T RELY ON A STRANGER ON THE INTERNET TO MAKE YOUR INVESTMENT DECISIONS!! MEET AND DO YOUR OWN DUE DILIGENCE!!

and don't rely on someone in person either! I've been investing for many years and even I have fallen prey to unethical swindlers because i got busy with other projects and I "trusted" them to do what they promised. There are people who will see you are busy or looking the other way.....or that you are new in the game....and they will seize the opportunity to take advantage of the moment, without ever giving thought to the future, or the consequences. ALWAYS perform your own due diligence and check up on your projects regularly. Dont accept excuses and trust your gut.

Some have already been kicked out and others I wouldnt call out myself on this forum, but I do forward anything by anyone that I believe is shady to @Joshua Dorkin as this is his site and as someone else to confirm what I am seeing.  I have seen a few questionable people promoting themselves here however so I wanted to create this post for the protection of everyone.  Anyone that is legit should be able to field questions right here on the site IMO.

@Pete T.,

I agree you should report them, but the question do you have proof. They are shady not because they will not answer your questions in open forum, and most don't like to provide complete details in the open forum.

Joe Gore

Joe,

I wouldnt call anyone out just about not being able to answer questions.  However, as I mentioned, I would be worried about anything where someone avoids/has trouble explaining the service the can provide.  There is not anything that I do that would be difficult to explain or that I would need to hide details.  Again, I am just looking to raise awareness in general for people to do their own due dilligence before working w/ anyone.

Pete,

I agree if you can not explain what you are selling don't sell but most will hide details in a open forum but if you call them or meet them they will provide complete details. Due diligence is the most important thing.

Joe Gore

Hey guys - this is a good warning and we'll share the same warning.  If someone seems too good to be true -- be careful!  ALWAYS DO YOUR DUE DILIGENCE.

Unfortunately, BiggerPockets is like the real world -- most people probably mean well, but there are those who are here to take advantage of people.  Our moderation does our best to kick those people off the site.  But we can't do it without help from the community.

SO . . .

If you get any kind of solicitations from people you don't know by PM or COLLEAGUE REQUEST, use the links in your message to REPORT the user.  This violates our terms of use and ANYONE found soliciting or advertising via Connection requests will be removed. If you post an ad in the marketplace -- be prepared to answer questions.  If you don't answer questions, we reserve the right to pull your ad or to kick you off the site.

We work hard to put together rules that protect our membership, but we do need help.

I am the first person to urge people to be cautious with others and I absolutely want you guys to report people you think are up to no good.

Thanks again for the warning, @Pete T.  .

Didnt know this- so to pass it along as well:

NOTE, you can also

click the REPORT MESSAGE link if you ever get any other suspect messages.

Also guys if you see anything suspicious, feel free to reach out to me or @Brandon Turner  .

We'll look into the things people are saying/doing, and if need be kick people off the site. 

Just let us know!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.