One of our own in the WSJ...

14 Replies

Chris Clothier and his company Memphis Invest are mentioned several times in this WSJ article.  Congrats to you!

http://online.wsj.com/articles/new-ways-to-profit-from-renting-out-single-family-homes-1411150866

Also check out this paragraph...

"Don't go overboard. Investors should maintain a diversified portfolio that also includes stocks, bonds and cash. Single-family homes shouldn't exceed 5% of their investments, not including their primary residence, says Jeff Sica, president of Sica Wealth Management in Morristown, N.J."

Did he pull this number from his magic hat???

Can you post the entire article via copy and paste it here? 

This post has been removed.

@Pat Martin  the 5% number is a stock market investing rule of thumb (yeah, they use those too).  Some people use 4 others use 5 as their percentage of stock market money that should be invested in any one company.  Any more than that suggests you are "over weighted" and over exposed to specific stock risk.  The corrective action would be to sell the excess and redistribute to other stocks to maintain a diversified portfolio of stocks.

I don't think it's a good transfer of that rule of thumb to say that anyone should limit their REI to 5% of their total investment portfolio. That's some conventional stock market thinking that just does not fit REI. IMO.

@Joshua Dorkin  so no way to view this article unless we subscribe to WSJ?

Yes you can.  I'm not a subscriber and read on there all the time.  Just copy and paste title of article in Google and click on link and it gives you a free pass to read article.  Over and over again.

@Pat Martin

I tried this:

Just copy and paste title of article in Google and click on link and it gives you a free pass to read article. Over and over again. 

It didn't work.

Raymond

Subscribe to This Forum

Originally posted by @Pat Martin:

Yes you can.  I'm not a subscriber and read on there all the time.  Just copy and paste title of article in Google and click on link and it gives you a free pass to read article.  Over and over again.

Never knew this, but I just tried it and it works. Thanks for the tip!

Funny how negative this article can be about renting out your own SFH....

I love reading the comments below the article.... all talking about how horrible and risky it is to own a rental....   

It is.... if you have no idea what you are doing.........

Good stuff!!

Interesting article

@Pat Martin ... 

I love reading the WSJ and this is a great way to get it.

Much appreciated !!

@Pat Martin , thanks for the heads up about how to view without a subscription.  It worked like a charm!

Originally posted by @Pat Martin:

Chris Clothier and his company Memphis Invest are mentioned several times in this WSJ article.  Congrats to you!

http://online.wsj.com/articles/new-ways-to-profit-...

Thanks for the mention Pat.  That was a good interview, but you never know how the article is going to turn out.  IN the end, she pretty much wrote exactly what she said she was going to write.  I liked that she was willing to highlight alternative investments and the fact that land-lording and real estate investing can be two very different things.  We'll see if they keep writing more about this.

All the best - Chris

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here