How do you send a private message without becoming a colleague?

14 Replies

I can't seem to figure out how to send someone a PM without connecting with them. Is it possible?

You can't message people that aren't your colleague.  PRO users can send 10 messages to non colleagues per month, however ANY form of solicitation or promotion via PM or colleague request is prohibited and can/will result in account restrictions or closure.

If you get a message from someone that is in violation of our TOS, please report it using the report link in the conversation.

so if you are a plus member you cannot contact or message anyone ?

This post has been removed.

@Joshua Dorkin  How do you send a message to a non-colleague if you are a PRO?  When I go to my inbox and select "Send a Message" the user's name always comes up as not being a result. Did this change or is there a different method? 

Originally posted by @Michael Sato :

@Jazmine S.

To send a message, you have to go to the member's profile and click on the Connect button. It will show you a message box on the next page. 

Hmm, interesting.  It works for your profile but not everyone's! Is it perhaps a privacy setting that you can change to prohibit incoming messages from people you are not connected with? 

@Jeff L. ,

I've had a couple experiences where I've made a connect request, but only exchanged messages.

For what it's worth ...

I'm Pro and I'm also not seeing the Message option after clicking on the Connect button.

@Jazmine S. , @Michael Sato - did you ever get to the bottom of this?  

@Brent Blum From what I've gathered you can only send a message after the user has accepted your connect request.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you