How do you like the new BP format?

10 Replies

While I have not confirmed the site on my PC, my Mac or my iPhone, the format clearly appears very differently on my iPad.

Humans resist change. There are features that are attractive however several that I have not yet made peace with, too.

Many of us complained when the right side column was added in order to provide extra real estate for advertisers. So, are resulting the long sentence structures easier to read? Or, for most all posters read on their smart phones?

The photos and votes are now only revealed by clicking on the poster's name. This has the effect (for me anyway) of causing me to have to dig deeper to determine a poster's credibility if I don't recognize their name. 

How many times have they posted? Do they contribute (givers) or are they only takers? Are they experienced? Are they hyper-opinionated? Do they have a history of posting dis-information or outright BS?

Did the site propriietors solicited feedback via survey of its members or make budgetary decisions unilaterally? I guess it is their site.

What what you all like to see? New features? Old features returned? Ease of use! Restriction of access? Vetting? Accountability?

"Expiring minds" want to know your thoughts! (From old National Enquirer TV Ad). 

Personally, I don't find BP to be very user friendly on my android phone, and I heard some other BP members complain about the app /  and similar ISO platforms.

But when I'm on my laptop, it's alright. 

Using Google Chrome on an iPad, I don't like it.  No profile photos or any other stats related to the thread, post or poster, just a bunch of words on a white background.  I haven't fired up the laptop to see if it has changed there as well...

@Rick H.

Using Chrome browser on my iPhone, I still see the user's avatar and the votes a post received.  Maybe post version numbers for the hardware and software you are using, so others might be able to corroborate your experience.

I just realized that if I rotate my iPad to portrait mode, the avatars, votes etc. appear.  I much prefer to hold it in landscape but I also like to see the data on the post.

As far as hardware/software go, I am using an iPad Air with iOS 9.3.1.  Chrome browser is up to date at least for this version of iOS. Also this layout is new as of a couple days ago, when they announced that the apps have been updated.

@Steve Babiak

@Rick H. @Chris T. @Shawn Loughman @Steve Babiak

The previous format was consistently causing problems with tablets, so we switched it to use the mobile design. iOS might have a “request desktop option” that may trick it into using the desktop version.

We are working on improving the mobile experience as a whole.

Mindy Jensen, Real Estate Agent in CO (#FA100049656)

Thanks @Mindy Jensen

I agree with the others... I have been around for 3 or 4 years and usually love your site upgrades. But not seeing post counts and pics, takes away from the BP experience. Just wanted to let you know my vote.  Thanks for all you do keeping this place running! 

@Shawn Loughman

Thanks for the tip! I tried it and they all pop up! I guess I will be reading that way for a while. 

@Mindy Jensen

Thanks for the info.  I did experience periodic glitches using the previous version, but if I can find an option to switch back to the desktop version in iOS I will do so because I personally prefer the layout of the full site.  Looking forward to the continued improvements for us tablet users!

As a web programmer myself, migrating from a desktop page to an integrated mobile design is a real challenge.  The first big issue is the screen limitations force items to be placed oddly or dropped altogether.  The use of drop down menus is impossible as there's no 'mouse' to position over the menu root (called a Mouse-Over or Hover behavior).  There are some tricks used to solve the screen issues (Responsive CSS) and you can see it operate on your desktop by dragging the right-side window to  the left and the page will be redisplayed as you narrow it into oblivion.  The mobile device also responds similarly when rotated from Portrait to Landscape mode.  The pop-ups over the profiles will still work (when playing per the above) as the system still sees you as a desktop, even though Responsive CSS is active - - kind of inconsistent but so what - - it's a demo.

Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen :

@Rick H. @Chris T. @Shawn Loughman @Steve Babiak

The previous format was consistently causing problems with tablets, so we switched it to use the mobile design. iOS might have a “request desktop option” that may trick it into using the desktop version.

We are working on improving the mobile experience as a whole.

Sniff the USER-AGENT string and you can determine {desktop, phone, tablet} and drive CSS off that discovery, not the width or device-width.

Also avoid all fixed-width elements and use width:xx%

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.