BiggerPockets Podcast Episode 227 with Joe Fairless!!!

BiggerPockets Podcast Episode 227 with Joe Fairless!!!

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes

Today's episode features Joe Fairless, and his journey from single family house investor to $130 Million in multi family properties.

Check out Episode 227 here , where Joe shares how he finds - and funds - those large apartment building deals.

8Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Great Falls, MT · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 6 votes
9y
Joe Fairless has a great podcast too. Short episodes packed with great information.
See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • James MasottiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Washington Township, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 976 votes
    9y

    A great show as always! 

  • Investor · Lake oswego, OR · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Great episode, I continue to take away alot of valuable things from this pod ! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Oakalla, TX · Member since 2015 · 67 posts · 24 votes
    9y
    It's funny because the podcasts are great and encouraging but towards the end of them I'm very negative in my head because I can't still get one property and see other investors are buying multiple properties at a time. I start to get discouraged.
  • Engineer · Santa Fe, NM · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    @Antonio Artusa I feel that. From the moment I said "This is the day I'm buying my first property" to the day it actually happened was about one year. And I still ended up purchasing a rental through a turnkey property. Baby steps!

  • Investor · Great Falls, MT · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    9y
    Joe Fairless has a great podcast too. Short episodes packed with great information.
  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 90 posts · 44 votes
    9y

    @Joe Fairless great show ... cincy!!

  • Dave Van HornPro Member
    Fund Manager · Wayne, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Just got done listening to this episode, and it's a great one! $1 billion under management by the age of 40, I'm jealous!

    Also, how have I been a guest twice on Joe's podcast but still didn't know this much about him!?

    Really admire Joe's patient, minimalist ways and keeping a purpose bigger than himself. And on a practical note, I also enjoyed hearing about how he invests out of state but does a deep dive studying the local marketplace of said area. Speaking from experience, that's definitely key and something we all need to consider more.

    P.S.

    Congrats on his upcoming nuptials @Joe Fairless!

  • Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    9y
    Super smart episode! It was great to hear his perspective on commercial multifamily. I thought he explained the numbers well. So much to learn from this show. One of my favs! 👌
  • Investor · Yonkers, NY · Member since 2014 · 84 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    @Antonio Artusa I feel you being in NY as well but you have to start thinking outside the box to get that first deal. Ask yourself these three questions daily, what am I doing?  what's working? And what's not working? These questions should give you some clearity on where you should focus more on getting your first deal.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    I love Joe's story. You can actually follow his path here on the forum through his post history, from the time he had a few homes, all the way to building to well over a hundred million. Congrats Joe!
  • Fuquay Varina, NC · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Loved the show as always. Great insight into higher level play.
  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Joe Fairless is fantastic, and shows the power of drive, anybody that doubts Joe becoming a billionaire doesn't know what they're talking about.

    @Dave Van Horn I'm jealous, I was only on Joe's Podcast once!

  • Investor and Real Estate Agent from Los Angeles · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 28 votes
    9y

    Really great show guys 
    I listened on my drive to work today and there was so much useful information I had to re-listen later to take notes, especially for the portion on analyzing markets. 

    Thanks for the great content guys!

  • Real Estate Investor and Business Coach · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 107 posts · 77 votes
    9y

    @Joe Fairless Great podcast Joe! Tons of actionable advice. 

  • Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2016 · 51 posts · 32 votes
    9y
    Great podcast! I've listened to a lot of Joe's as well and they're also great. If you listen to one of his last week, you'll find out he missed that Texas Tech baseball game, and turned the disappointment into a nice mini-vacation. Always something to learn from him - either strategy or attitude.
  • Investor · Gaithersburg, MD · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 8 votes
    9y
    Am I the only guy that wishes @Joe Fairless would rewrite a post or blog on analyzing a market? Come on Joe the people need it!!
  • Elena MoffattPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Charleston, WV · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    I've listen to bigger pockets podcast several times on how to raise funding for your deals with other investors or family members, etc. but could never figure out the dynamics.  Thanks Joe for talking about Security attorneys, PPM, Operating Agreement, Subscription  agreement, Investor Qualifier forms.  I found the information very helpful.  Will start listening to your podcasts also.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 14 votes
    9y

    @Joe Fairless I was nervous about buying property that I never see in person, but encouraged that I could still be on the right track 

    With only one SFH to my name, scale-ability was definitely an issue. This show pushed me to stick to my criteria and go for the multi-units.

    Also, really excited to use the knowledge about researching a city's economy (especially if it's dependent on one company/industry) before going into further inquiries about the properties.

    Thanks!!

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 933 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Way to go coach Joe !  

  • Investor · Aurora, CO · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 25 votes
    9y
    What happened to the rest of the show????
  • Investor · Norcross, GA · Member since 2016 · 87 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    this was a great podcast and great info. I listen to both BP and Joes podcasts frequently.both are great and informative. However I caught something early in the podcast where Brandon and Josh went back and asked him the details about how he raised the money and he started talking about doing a PPM and only getting accredited investors (folks earning $200k per or worth >$1million. I loved the podcast but that part really discouraged me because I don't know anyone that meets that criteria. I suppose I'm stuck with single families... anyone else catch that part and feel the same way?

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9y

    Very good podcast Joe!

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    9y

    Eliot there are ways to do sponsored investments without accredited investors but there is more risk and red tape to the sponsor.

    So many sponsors by choice ONLY take accredited investors.

    Get with legal counsel to make sure you set up the appropriate paperwork and structure.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    @Eliot M. most people are not born with an accredited investor rolodex.  It takes work.  Joe has one primary job...attract them and present a compelling opportunity.  He does this primarily through his thought leadership platform (BP, podcasts, books, conference, blogs, youtube videos, students/clients, etc.) and investors find him.  It's all about networking and marketing.  And having high net worth acquaintances is beneficial whether you invest in real estate or not.  Many people believe that you are the average of the five people you hang out with most.  Be intentional and good luck.

  • Bothell, WA · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    Thanks for posting this, nice reminder. I haven't listed before, but will give it a shot. I'll see if I can subscribe on Android.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.