Ep. 286 $13M in Equity from ONE Deal - Despite Being Comatose!

25 Replies

Ever have a conversation that just impacts your life so powerfully you wish you could share it with everyone? That’s exactly what our conversation on today’s episode of the BiggerPockets Podcast is! Our guest, AJ Osborne, shares an incredible story of building his real estate business — which focuses on self-storage facilities — as a way to transition his family from rich to wealthy (and yes, there is a difference!) This show is packed with insight from AJ, including:

• How a loss on his first deal directly led to millions of dollars in later profit
  • How to find underperforming real estate deals
  • How he made $13,000,000 in equity from an old Kmart building
  • And the medical emergency that put his real estate to the ultimate survival test while AJ fought for his life (this story will shock, amaze, and inspire you!)

This show is one of the most powerful episodes yet of the BiggerPockets Podcast, and we’re excited for you to dive in!

Listen here or on your favorite podcast app.

Great episode. It is interesting fact that most super successful people had rough story in their past. It must have something to do with the fact the life changing experience switches your mind faster than any other process.

I loved the analogy of a train as a business. It's so difficult to get it started but once its rolling, everything falls into place. 

Wow, that was by far the most interesting podcast I have heard. Super motivated by his story and approach to investing.

Thanks for sharing, AJ.  His perspective is a great reminder that life can be short, and we don't know what the future looks like.  The time to start controlling our own destiny is NOW.  Great inspiration. 

The last 10 episodes of Bigger Pockets podcast have been so insightful I needed to listen multiple times each. Every time I pick up something new to research. The guests do a great job at telling their story and have inspired me to start keeping track of my real estate journey so that one day I can pass it on to new investors.  I love the mindset shifts I get after listening

I just want to give a great big thank-you to AJ for taking my call and discussing his K-mart story with me. It isn’t very often you find someone “real” who will take the time to brainstorm ideas based on his/her experience to further a goal, without asking anything in return which is what AJ did for me. He is a true pay it forward guy who set aside time with me to make a difference. Thanks again AJ! You’re the best! Thanks to BP for developing the community and creating the environment.

This episode had a huge impact on my mindset, which I think is critical for any entrepreneurial venture. The concept of rich vs. wealthy is one that I've been struggling with for a while, and this gave a concrete example of why wealth is important. My belief of financial freedom always centered on things like vacations, making my own schedule, and so on, but this helped me realize that the financial security for family is provided by wealth not the rich guy treadmill.

Great episode As I am reading Cashflow Quandrant now by Robert Kiyosaki he mentions the B Quandrant quiz which says “Can you leave your business for a year or more and return to find it more profitable and running better than when you left it?”  Which reminded me of AJ’s situation 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you