Anyone else hate BP app update??

70 Replies

Their search function (website and app) has always had issues. The app certainly works better overall - at least now I can type a PM without the letters disappearing), although I've not tried searching on it yet.

New app needs A LOT of work. It’s a good start.  I hate how hard it is to find the end of a post and the beginning of the reply to that post. Sucks. Also the keyword alerts don’t give you any information about what’s in the post other then the keyword itself, so you have to click though just to see if it’s really pertinent to me or not. 

I only use the app for reading thru the forums. Thats only because thats all i can on it. It needs a lot work. I Love BP though. 

Does anyone else have the issue of your post getting capitalized letters despite unshifting? Not sure if it’s a server side error with their framework or just me

I need to start by saying that I love BP, but the forum software leaves a LOT to be developed.  I am not sure of the exact structure but I am sure that a lot of the search functionality can be redone.  I find it very difficult to navigate and to search for the information I am looking for.  This site is FULL of useful data, and having a great search functionality and a little time spend on the flow of the software would be really welcomed.

The app is an embarrassment of planning and execution. I know multiple $6/hr developers who could’ve done better. I’ve had multiple grade 11-12 students who HAVE done better with zero help from me. As harsh as it is, it’s amateurs with a budget. Comparable to painting bright yellow and green in a flip after selecting the $.39 laminate and $2,000 light fixture for “bling”.

As a member of BP for more than a decade I’ve seen a steady growth towards a single thing.  To help investors. 

I bet there isn’t a person who has criticized BP who have walked in the footsteps of a web based business.  

I can say with a lot of experience that the web and technology changes so fast and dramatically that it is difficult to see the end game and solve for all of the issue which arise along the way. 

I bet josh has an easy million or two invested in BP.  I would hope we give him credit for creating a home we can go and help and learn. 

For myself I’m extremely greatful. 

Everyone has a choice.  You don’t have to use it. 

I for one appreciate BP.  

@Michael Quarles It’s (generally) excellent content, with extremely poor delivery. As suggested above, I would be one of those people you believe don’t exist. I’ve made similar mistakes, all because I was an amateur acting like a seasoned pro. Smaller scale so the consequences were less obvious to fewer people. The content is appreciated. The delivery is a hindrance to gAINING benefit from the content. Example, that capitalizing right there which was absolutely preventable with beta testing. Whoever approved the app in its current state shouldn’t be handling anything having to do with technology, regardless of how fast or slow it changes.
Originally posted by Account Closed:
@Michael Quarles

It’s (generally) excellent content, with extremely poor delivery.

As suggested above, I would be one of those people you believe don’t exist. I’ve made similar mistakes, all because I was an amateur acting like a seasoned pro. Smaller scale so the consequences were less obvious to fewer people.

The content is appreciated. The delivery is a hindrance to gAINING benefit from the content.

Example, that capitalizing right there which was absolutely preventable with beta testing. Whoever approved the app in its current state shouldn’t be handling anything having to do with technology, regardless of how fast or slow it changes.

Good to meet you. 

Just curios have you spent a million or so building something? 

I’m a firm believe in the foot step.  If you’re unwilling to walk in them don’t critique or criticize those who are. And if you have then it’s ego and arrogance that allows you too 

After all you could show your skill set and build your own.  

@Michael Quarles SINCE yOU APPEAR TO REQuIRE a MEaAURMENT, Yes sir, I have. tHE MISTAKeS MENTIoNEd AboVE woULDVE BEEN MADE WHEN I WAS BuDgETING 1% OF THAT FOR PRojECTS. To get to $1M spent here, a LOT of assumptions would need to be made. And if I spent $1M with this result ... well, I wouldn’t. Appreciate your Defense of the effort. As I’m sure you can appreciate my disappointment in it. I could throw a million at an average house and make it a piece of junk too, I’m just not going to.
@Michael Quarles I fully agree with you that what BP puts out is great content and they create a great community for investors...can’t argue that. The post wasn’t about their great content though. It’s just frustrating for end users when good functionality is removed. I understand the ever-changing tech space and being adaptable to the changing needs but the app clearly wasn’t QA’d properly before rollout.
@Shawn Underwood I am having issues with letters defaulting to caps, the app being extremely slow or not responding when I try to open a post, the app loading blank screens when I try to open a post, the app loading a blank screen and having to be completely rebooted when I reply to a post, and I haven’t even tried to search yet. Can you please get your tech guys to fix this @Joshua Dorkin .

I don't use my phone  for anything other than calling people don't understand why anyone would want to look at a tiny screen..  and don't under stand why anyone cares 90% of you who are complaining are using the service for free.. so whats the big deal..

Well I don't use the app to search and post, I do it on a desktop 90%.  What I do like about the new app is the podcast update.  It is a lot easier to find and listen to.  I gave up on the app last winter because it was difficult to find the podcast and pickup where I left off.  Recently revisited the app and definite improvement (even if this wasn't a recent improvement with the last update).  Great job BP in this area! 

In future updates I would like the podcast to automatically move to the next oldest podcast, because it is hard to scroll to say Podcast 179 while driving.  Just a safety update to us commuters who listen while driving.  Keep up the good work!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you