How to Update "Years of Experience" On The Forums

43 Replies

Hi Everyone - you may have noticed that we recently added some credentials to your forum cards. If you hover over my name, for example, you will see my posts, votes, # of investments, and investing experience in years:

While certainly not perfect, we added these thinking that they will be just a couple of additional pieces of information to give you guys context about who is providing the information you are reading in these forums. 

Anyways - most people default to "zero" years of experience - in that case, the stat simply isn't shown.

If you DO have experience and want to add it, here's how to do so:

1) Navigate to your profile.

2) Click this button: 

3) Select your real estate "occupation" and enter in your "start date": 

We will be working on an easier way to let you update your years of experience, which will come soon. In the meantime, feel free to follow these instructions and show off your experience. Personally, I think it makes a difference when diving into one of the many great debates here.

This post has been removed.

Originally posted by @Scott Trench :

@Natalie Kolodij Good Question - Maybe one of these people knows:
 @Allison Leung

@Mindy Jensen

@Allie Hopper

Can you please help us understand how this change works guys? 

It'd be nice to see a refresh on the way the number of deals works. I have literally transacted 1,000's of deals over the years. I don't want to go through putting them all into my profile but I also don't think it's ideal that when Bigger Pockets members hover over my name it appears that I have only done 2 deals in my career.

Originally posted by @James Wise :
Originally posted by @Scott Trench:

@Natalie Kolodij Good Question - Maybe one of these people knows:
 @Allison Leung

@Mindy Jensen

@Allie Hopper

Can you please help us understand how this change works guys? 

It'd be nice to see a refresh on the way the number of deals works. I have literally transacted 1,000's of deals over the years. I don't want to go through putting them all into my profile but I also don't think it's ideal that when Bigger Pockets members hover over my name it appears that I have only done 2 deals in my career.

I like this  were do you go to make these additions   how do you find that on this website.. which page or whatever.?

@James Wise Agree 1000%.  I just entered a few more deals because I was annoyed that it was saying 5 deals....but Im not going to go through and singularly enter hundreds of deals.

Originally posted by @Russell Brazil :

@James Wise Agree 1000%.  I just entered a few more deals because I was annoyed that it was saying 5 deals....but Im not going to go through and singularly enter hundreds of deals.

Hopefully we'll see an adjustment that just allows you to put in a number or perhaps there will ranges available such as 

• Beginner 0-5
  • Novice 5-50
  • Expert 100+

Hi @Natalie Kolodij -- Thanks for your question. 

To explain a bit more about this new feature: Your top subjects are calculated by looking at which topics you post about frequently and the upvotes you receive on your posts. The best thing you can do to change your top subjects is to respond to questions and start discussions in the forums on topics that you want to appear on your top subjects.

So basically, the way to get top subjects on your profile is to talk about them and earn credibility!

@James Wise @Jay Hinrichs @Russell Brazil -- I completely hear you on this, and we certainly want to make it feasible for those with large amounts of experience and bigger portfolios to showcase their deals. We're thinking about how to make it possible to quickly add deals while still ensuring that deal count is accurate and that investments on profiles continue to be an honest reflection of users' experience in real estate investing.

@Jay Hinrichs You can currently add investments to your profile by navigating to your profile page, then clicking into the "Investments" module:

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have further questions!

Originally posted by @Allison Leung :

To explain a bit more about this new feature: Your top subjects are calculated by looking at which topics you post about frequently and the upvotes you receive on your posts. The best thing you can do to change your top subjects is to respond to questions and start discussions in the forums on topics that you want to appear on your top subjects.

So basically, the way to get top subjects on your profile is to talk about them and earn credibility!

@James Wise @Jay Hinrichs @Russell Brazil -- I completely hear you on this, and we certainly want to make it feasible for those with large amounts of experience and bigger portfolios to showcase their deals. We're thinking about how to make it possible to quickly add deals while still ensuring that deal count is accurate and that investments on profiles continue to be an honest reflection of users' experience in real estate investing.

@Jay Hinrichs You can currently add investments to your profile by navigating to your profile page, then clicking into the "Investments" module:

I found that.. but it asks to many questions.. so for high volume folks  it just wont work.. I get it for the majority of your audience though

Maybe I just write about one project that has 30 properties in it or something like that.

thanks 

As usual for me this did not work it posted about a specific deal were do you enter the info to have years experience and number of deals like scott is showing at the top of the page its not where you told me it was.. that just created a whole new post or thread I think. 

Unfortunately, for example, right now there is an ongoing thread with someone blatantly arguing his tax fraud. We're 5 pages deep. 

Now his profile says taxes are something he specializes in because he's been arguing/posting on this topic for days. 

I think there maybe needs to be more weight on how many VOTES in a topic, not just comments in that topic. 

Originally posted by @Natalie Kolodij :
Originally posted by @Allison Leung:

Unfortunately, for example, right now there is an ongoing thread with someone blatantly arguing his tax fraud. We're 5 pages deep. 

Now his profile says taxes are something he specializes in because he's been arguing/posting on this topic for days. 

I think there maybe needs to be more weight on how many VOTES in a topic, not just comments in that topic. 

Simply calculating the number of lifetime up-votes a member has received in each topic seems like a simple and effective solution.

Glad to see you guys are looking into this. It's really not feasible for high volume folks like Jay, Russ or myself. With the current setup it would literally take a week at 10 hours a day to input all the data to accurately reflect the volume of folks like myself, Jay or Russ.

@Natalie Kolodij Well I think that means that dude knows taxes better than you.  You are going to need to up your game to compete with American Greed dude.

It's true- I'd like to recommend everyone allow him to complete their 2019 taxes. 

And then seek me out for 2020 amendments with a "you freaking idiot" upcharge. 

Glad to see you guys are looking into this. It's really not feasible for high volume folks like Jay, Russ or myself. With the current setup it would literally take a week at 10 hours a day to input all the data to accurately reflect the volume of folks like myself, Jay or Russ.

HELP !  so when I hover over Russ picture or james you guys have your years of experience.. when I hover over mine there is nothing there so where do you go to put that information in.. I think years in the industry is a huge  thing  for most to know.. when I did the investment thingee it just posted a page on one of my current projects.. glad I found that I was wondering were that was when others post about the rental they just bought..  Anyway...  not sure why I am so challenged at this stuff.

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

HELP !  so when I hover over Russ picture or james you guys have your years of experience.. when I hover over mine there is nothing there so where do you go to put that information in.. I think years in the industry is a huge  thing  for most to know.. when I did the investment thingee it just posted a page on one of my current projects.. glad I found that I was wondering were that was when others post about the rental they just bought..  Anyway...  not sure why I am so challenged at this stuff.

That's super weird- even before I entered my years in (It's on your personal profile page) it still showed the "years of experience" it just listed "0"

Yours may be a glitch. 

@Jay Hinrichs

Step 1 - Hover over your face on the top right and the drop down menu will come down. Then click on "Personal Profile"

Step 2 - On your profile page click the blue button over towards the right as indicated here.

Step 3 - On the next screen that pops up, you can put in your occupation start date.

@Jay Hinrichs

Step 1 - Hover over your face on the top right and the drop down menu will come down. Then click on "Personal Profile"

Step 2 - On your profile page click the blue button over towards the right as indicated here.

Step 3 - On the next screen that pops up, you can put in your occupation start date.

thanks Russ found it.. not exactly intuitive for me.. thanks for the help.  but now we are stuck on deals done.. which for me is more than most would believe anyway.

@Jay Hinrichs I had to laugh, your years of experience is longer than Ive been alive!

this is what keeps me going keeping up with all my 20 to 45 year old movers and shakers.. 

Originally posted by @Natalie Kolodij :

Hi @Natalie Kolodij,

I wanted to let you know that the top subjects are calculated by an algorithm based on the following: number of posts in the last few months, and number of upvotes. These components are calculated on a per-topic basis to make sure we're comparing apples to apples.

Our goal is to encourage our knowledgable users (like you) to post high quality topics and replies on those subjects.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here