How to Update "Years of Experience" On The Forums

43 Replies

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :
Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

@Jay Hinrichs

Step 1 - Hover over your face on the top right and the drop down menu will come down. Then click on "Personal Profile"

Step 2 - On your profile page click the blue button over towards the right as indicated here.

Step 3 - On the next screen that pops up, you can put in your occupation start date.

thanks Russ found it.. not exactly intuitive for me.. thanks for the help.  but now we are stuck on deals done.. which for me is more than most would believe anyway.

If I had to guess it's probably in the 8,000-10,000 range. Am I in the ballpark?

Originally posted by @James Wise:
Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :
Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

@Jay Hinrichs

Step 1 - Hover over your face on the top right and the drop down menu will come down. Then click on "Personal Profile"

Step 2 - On your profile page click the blue button over towards the right as indicated here.

Step 3 - On the next screen that pops up, you can put in your occupation start date.

thanks Russ found it.. not exactly intuitive for me.. thanks for the help.  but now we are stuck on deals done.. which for me is more than most would believe anyway.

If I had to guess it's probably in the 8,000-10,000 range. Am I in the ballpark?

Although I forgot you owned a couple brokerages with agents on your roster for a lot of those years so I suppose it could probably be up closer to the 20,000+ range.....

@Alli McGee  

Does the algorithm not go back very far or when does it start appearing?

Right now my self and at least 5 other long term, very active tax pros have nothing there for our Top Subjects. We all have no less than 1500 posts 1k votes, ect

However there's a brand accountant with 15 posts and 7 votes who has his top subject listed as taxes and accounting. 

I think the check mark is a little misleading too- on several websites a check mark is something you get when you're "verified" in some way- so a check mark next to top subjects seems like it's something you had to get approved, or prove you were an expert in. 

Originally posted by @Natalie Kolodij :

@Alli McGee  

Right now my self and at least 5 other long term, very active tax pros have nothing there for our Top Subjects. We all have no less than 1500 posts 1k votes, ect

However there's a brand accountant with 15 posts and 7 votes who has his top subject listed as taxes and accounting. 

I think the check mark is a little misleading too- on several websites a check mark is something you get when you're "verified" in some way- so a check mark next to top subjects seems like it's something you had to get approved, or prove you were an expert in. 

I agree its very misleading and unnecessary.

Haha. I’m sure they’ll sort it out. The phone app was terrible for a while, then they took feedback and updated and it hasn’t crashed once. They’ll get it corrected.

I do wish they had years a member though like they use to. I think I’m close to 10 years on BP. Plus I always trusted others who’d been on here a while a little more than the 4 month guy.

@Alli McGee  

I agree with Natalie here.

I don't have any 'Top Subjects' badges for my account.  Although my measly 500 posts is peanuts compared to some posters, I see new users that have posted 10 times that have a 'Top Subjects' badge, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...

I have a feeling the BiggerPockets Broncos fans are smiting me because of my Kansas City Chiefs fandom...😜

Originally posted by @David Robertson :
Originally posted by @Natalie Kolodij:

@Alli McGee 

I don't have any 'Top Subjects' badges for my account.  Although my measly 500 posts is peanuts compared to some posters, I see new users that have posted 10 times that have a 'Top Subjects' badge, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...

I have a feeling the BiggerPockets Broncos fans are smiting me because of my Kansas City Chiefs fandom...😜

Thanks so much for your feedback, we're taking it into consideration as we figure out the best way to optimize this algorithm.

Our goal is to help users be able to trust others in the forums. While we optimize this algorithm, keep in mind that the best way to have top subjects appear on your profile is to post quality discussions and responses in the forums.

Originally posted by @Alli McGee :
Originally posted by @David Robertson:

@Alli McGee 

Thanks so much for your feedback, we're taking it into consideration as we figure out the best way to optimize this algorithm.

Our goal is to help users be able to trust others in the forums. While we optimize this algorithm, keep in mind that the best way to have top subjects appear on your profile is to post quality discussions and responses in the forums.

Definitely- but I had more posts yesterday than a new user has in total and they have top subjects. 

It's also ignoring those who have been doing that on BP for 10 years as someone mentioned above- People who have been contributing and helping for a long while area appearing less trust worthy than brand new users 

Originally posted by @Alli McGee :
Originally posted by @David Robertson:

@Alli McGee 

Definitely- but I had more posts yesterday than a new user has in total and they have top subjects. 

It's also ignoring those who have been doing that on BP for 10 years as someone mentioned above- People who have been contributing and helping for a long while area appearing less trust worthy than brand new users 

Agreed mine says off market and something else. I rarely do anything off market. .so not sure why that is.. and many times folks post in the wrong spot or category . I know when I go to post a new thread its near impossible to figure out how to get to the right category as its completely not user friendly so I just post every thing in general real estate.. wish I could get more specific. 

Originally posted by @David Robertson :

@Alli McGee  

David, your post takes me way back to the "Influence" system BP used to have back in it's wild wild west. (I've been here long enough to remember when @Jay Hinrichs got here 30,000 posts ago and no one knew who he was or if he was for real :-). Things tend to be cyclical and this system is likely not going to be perfect either, but will hopefully serve its purpose.

Here's what our fearless leader said about it:

Joshua Dorkin from Denver, CO

posted almost 7 years ago

A little over 3 years ago, we initiated a system on the site called 'influence'. This Influence System was designed to reward those users who engage and give back to BiggerPockets.

At first, the system was lauded almost universally by our members, but at a certain point in time it started to become a point of contention. Eventually we changed the system to one that we believed to be more fair and even, but unfortunately, in evaluating the system and your reaction to it, we realized that perhaps the system was doing more harm than good.

Many of our users felt that 'influence' wasn't an accurate measure of their actual influence on the site, and sadly, some of our power users were turned off and cut their participation here. -- (emphasis mine - JP)

While I'll argue that the system always did what it was designed to do -- measure those people who at any point in time were making the most impact on the site -- I'm also willing to accept that the system was never perfect by any means.

Your post gave me one of those full circle moments.

This is great feedback guys! We appreciate it. @Allison Leung and @Alli McGee and I will discuss. There are probably some really easy ways to fix this - i.e. once you get to 500 posts then you get some "top categories" based on which forums you are most active in. Then, if you have multiple, you can select which "top categories" you think are most appropriate. 

For @Jay Hinrichs we are working on a "Greatest of All Time" banner..

Originally posted by @James Wise :
Originally posted by @Scott Trench:

@Natalie Kolodij Good Question - Maybe one of these people knows:
 @Allison Leung

@Mindy Jensen

@Allie Hopper

Can you please help us understand how this change works guys? 

It'd be nice to see a refresh on the way the number of deals works. I have literally transacted 1,000's of deals over the years. I don't want to go through putting them all into my profile but I also don't think it's ideal that when Bigger Pockets members hover over my name it appears that I have only done 2 deals in my career.

James, perhaps it's just counting the number of video deals where you had to toss people's stuff on the sidewalk 🤣

Originally posted by @JD Martin :

@Allison Leung

@Mindy Jensen

@Allie Hopper

It'd be nice to see a refresh on the way the number of deals works. I have literally transacted 1,000's of deals over the years. I don't want to go through putting them all into my profile but I also don't think it's ideal that when Bigger Pockets members hover over my name it appears that I have only done 2 deals in my career.

James, perhaps it's just counting the number of video deals where you had to toss people's stuff on the sidewalk 🤣

lol well, two is far too low for that as well.

Originally posted by @Scott Trench :

This is great feedback guys! We appreciate it. @Allison Leung and @Alli McGee and I will discuss. There are probably some really easy ways to fix this - i.e. once you get to 500 posts then you get some "top categories" based on which forums you are most active in. Then, if you have multiple, you can select which "top categories" you think are most appropriate. 

I am a late comer.. that honor  should go to Bill Gully or J Scott or one of the founding members there is another gentlemen in Denver who has thousands of posts as well.. and were the early adaptors/supporters.

PS I saw 3 of your books in Amazon store at the mall in PDX yesterday.. nice work !!

Originally posted by @James Wise :
Originally posted by @JD Martin:

@Allison Leung

@Mindy Jensen

@Allie Hopper

lol well, two is far too low for that as well.

😂🤣😂

Hey all, just throwin' this out there while we are all discussing possible changes to the forums. I've been a long time proponent of replacing the colleague system with a follower / following system and bringing back total votes as a stat on the stat page. 

I found there is no way to update/save "Occupation Start Day" in member profile page.  Mine shows starting September 2019 (default to today's date?).  I tried to update but there is no save button to update. Would someone please look into it?  

I'm sure the BP Team is working on it, but just to emphasize that the 'Top Subject' algorithm doesn't make any sense, here is a post in the Construction & Remodeling Diaries forum by a first-time poster that has no votes.

This user has only posted once to the Construction & Remodeling Diaries section and has a 'Top Subject' category listed as 'Flipping', whereas I have over 500 posts, 300+ votes (mostly on the Rehabbing & Flipping Forum, & yet I don't have a 'Top Subject' on my profile 🤔...

Just saying, something's not quite right here...

Okay, that's my last gripe on this subject!  I'm sure BP will figure it out!

Thanks BP Team! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here