NEW BOOK—House Hack Your Way to Financial Freedom!

NEW BOOK—House Hack Your Way to Financial Freedom!

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes

The best real estate investing book I've ever read… The steps in this book are so practical and easy for anyone—with any income, living in any city—to follow.

—Grant Sabatier, Author of Financial Freedom & Creator of Millennial Money

If you purchase a house hack by applying this book’s principles, you have an extraordinary probability of becoming a millionaire within the next ten years. Maybe five!

—Scott Trench, CEO of BiggerPockets.com

The House Hacking Strategy is here, and we couldn’t be more excited!

When mastered, this tried-and-true strategy can save thousands of dollars in monthly expenses, build tens of thousands of dollars in equity each year, and provide the financial means to retire early. In fact, you can collect rent that completely covers your living expenses—and then some!

In this book, serial house hacker @Craig Curelop lays out the in-depth details to make your first (or next) investment a success. Discover why so many successful investors support their investment careers with house hacking—and learn from a frugality expert who has "hacked" his way towards financial freedom.

You can find the book in the BiggerPockets Bookstore. (And don’t miss the bonuses that come with the paperback and ultimate package…or the exclusive house hacking calculator that is included with every format!)

13Reply
127 views

Most Popular Reply

Craig CurelopBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

@Mindy Jensen House hacking is amazing! 

Everyone else, ask me anything and I will answer anything house hacking related. And I may or may not answer anything not house hacking related :). 

See this reply in the discussion

90 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Craig CurelopBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Mindy Jensen House hacking is amazing! 

    Everyone else, ask me anything and I will answer anything house hacking related. And I may or may not answer anything not house hacking related :). 

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2017 · 247 posts · 245 votes
    7y

    @Mindy Jensen Awesome! I did house hacking for almost a decade. Love it 

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Mindy Jensen I ordered 20 to give to clients and will be moving into my second house hack next year @Craig Curelop!

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y

    That's awesome, @Jordan Moorhead!

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    can house hacking be applied anywhere? or are some area's much better and or easier to house hack into. 

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Tyler Grant you can do it anywhere! Listen to the podcast @Craig Curelop was on that came out today. They even talk about the highest level strategy, prison hacking.

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    7y

     that's great! thank you i will be looking into that ready to start the journey!

  • Kingsland, TX · Member since 2018 · 164 posts · 86 votes
    7y

    @Craig Curelop, what a great episode today on the BiggerPockets podcast! I loved what you said about exchanging comfortability for profitability. I can't wait to get my hands on your book!

  • Craig CurelopBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Thanks Lauren! @Tyler Grant yes definitely listen to the episode today we talk about that. 

    @Jordan Moorhead - Thank you! That's awesome. I hope your clients enjoy...and you too of course :) 

  • Jeff WhiteBusiness Member
    Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 278 posts · 371 votes
    7y

    @Craig CurelopGreat episode today man!  You are a rockstar!  I'm still patiently waiting for my copy in the mail;)

    If house hacking works for everyone including people with families, why do you think there is still so much resistance against it?  

    It seems married people and people with children have the biggest objections based on my interactions of talking to my friends that fit those descriptions. They just can't get past living next to tenants, even when the numbers make sense.   

  • New to Real Estate · Cypress, TX · Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Great episode, as usual. My husband and I are planning to househack and are currently looking for our first property. Onward to financial freedom!

  • Craig CurelopBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Jeff White - Thanks Jeff! THank you for contributing as well :). 

    I think people are unwilling to change their lifestyles or sacrifice even a little bit... even if it is for such a long term gain. The best way to convince the people who "can't" do it... is to do it yourself and lead by example. 

  • Polson, MT · Member since 2017 · 115 posts · 105 votes
    7y

    @Craig Curelop

    Great job on the newest podcast, valuable info in there!

  • Oaklyn, NJ · Member since 2013 · 1 post · 1 vote
    7y

    I was house hacking from 2010 until 2017.  It was THE BEST decision I've ever made.  It enabled me to become self-employed over 4 years ago and I'm never looking back!

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    I've syndicated $40M of multifamily (about to become $50M), and I still house hack. My version is a bit more luxury than Craig's, but why pay any more for the mortgage than necessary, specifically if it doesn't require any compromise...

    Definitely a great strategy for all. Good job, Craig!

  • Roni E.Pro Member
    Specialist · Earth 2.0 · Member since 2019 · 598 posts · 271 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Craig Curelop:

    @Mindy Jensen House hacking is amazing! 

    Everyone else, ask me anything and I will answer anything house hacking related. And I may or may not answer anything not house hacking related :). 

    Congrats it is a Great feeling/nerves once you know your book is coming out. Much continued success!

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    7y

     Purchased my first rental with 20 percent down. They are building it right now. Thinking of building another, living in it for a year then renting/repeat Is that considered house hacking?

  • New to Real Estate · Hartford, CT · Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Mindy Jensen PUMPED for this book!!!

    - Listening to your first podcast the other day gave me a lot of clarification on House Hacking and I’m finishing up the most recent podcast right now!! The profitability vs comfortability aspect was key for me & I’m planning on my first house hack in 6 months. Thanks for the knowledge! @Craig Curelop

  • Craig CurelopBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Mitchel Simpson - yes that is a semi-house hack. The true power of house hacking comes in the low downpayment. But I'll consider making income from your house a house hack regardless. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Midland, TX · Member since 2019 · 46 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    @Craig Curelop when will this book be available on Audible?

  • Rental Property Investor · Midland, TX · Member since 2019 · 46 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    @Mindy Jensen when will this book be available on the Audible app ?

  • New to Real Estate · Hartford, CT · Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Sean Tippens Check out amazon for the audio, you might be able to get it sooner then later.

  • Rental Property Investor · Haledon, NJ · Member since 2019 · 26 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Craig Curelop

    I listened to parts of this episode on my way to work and it was an amazing one. I’ve been so hard pressed into looking for that perfect multi family that will cash flow in a B neighborhood. As you all know it is currently a sellers market and in New Jersey it is expensive.

    My only problem I see occurring is when I try and rent the whole house outright. Will it continue to cash flow? And is there a legal lease in place for people renting rooms out? Do you need to purchase house in a younger town? which by me is a lot of poverty driven towns in D neighborhoods. Will this work in an older town? Great schools cheaper taxes but the average age is 42 years old. These are questions I keep asking myself if anyone could point me in the right direction. Thank you

  • Rental Property Investor · Haledon, NJ · Member since 2019 · 26 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Jeremy Corporan

    Not too mention I have a wife with 2 small children any feedback on whether this strategy would suit me would be appreciated!

  • Waipahu, HI · Member since 2018 · 121 posts · 81 votes
    7y

    @Craig Curelop This book came out at the perfect time. I am moving and looking to do my first house hack. Since I have a family I will be on he easier side of the comfort continuum. The way I have been analyzing properties is first to see what it would cost for me to live in the property. I include utilities so I can see about what it would cost a month in total to live there. Then I run the numbers a second time to see what the ROI would be when we move out. Then adjust my offer to make around 10-12% ROI. After hearing you on the podcast I started thinking differently. Do you think I should be more flexible when making an offer due to the possibility to refinancing and loan pay down a year later? Thanks for the book!!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.