TO REHAB? OR TO SELL AS IS

TO REHAB? OR TO SELL AS IS

Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 6 votes

Hello I am a fresh into the real estate.  I am always fascinated with RE/  AND ALL THE POTIENTAL WAYS to make money. So this is my first project in it.  Any help and recommendation are greatly appreciated. 

I am helping my parents sell their house. Its a tiny 800sft house that needs to renov, kitchen, floors, paint. etc. On paper it is a 2/1 but since we owe the house we have put in addition room downstairs therefore the house would be 3/2.  I was wondering if it worth it to put in the work and try to update the house or if its better to just sell the house "as is". They are not in a rush to sell but would like to have it sold at by end of next year. Another question is it possible or worth to pull equity out the house to renovate the house. The house is paid off in a good neighbor. Price estimates i check with zillow and redfin are around 120s to 200s. This is in the Roanoke Virginia area. 

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THEIR INPUT

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y

Historically it has been better to rehab and then list, but with the shortage in housing, investors are buying with very low profit potential.  I would just list it as-is and let someone else take on the risk of the rehab.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    Historically it has been better to rehab and then list, but with the shortage in housing, investors are buying with very low profit potential.  I would just list it as-is and let someone else take on the risk of the rehab.

  • Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 6 votes
    4y

    Hello Patti. 

    thank you for the reply.  Would you know any realtors in that area ? 

    thanks again.

    My

  • Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    on most of my flips i clean up the house a bit and list it for a few days as-is to just test the waters. I list it at an amount that i feel comfortable with comparing to the gains i would make on a full rehab. that might be a good option for you

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @My Danh:

    Hello I am a fresh into the real estate.  I am always fascinated with RE/  AND ALL THE POTIENTAL WAYS to make money. So this is my first project in it.  Any help and recommendation are greatly appreciated. 

    I am helping my parents sell their house. Its a tiny 800sft house that needs to renov, kitchen, floors, paint. etc. On paper it is a 2/1 but since we owe the house we have put in addition room downstairs therefore the house would be 3/2.  I was wondering if it worth it to put in the work and try to update the house or if its better to just sell the house "as is". They are not in a rush to sell but would like to have it sold at by end of next year. Another question is it possible or worth to pull equity out the house to renovate the house. The house is paid off in a good neighbor. Price estimates i check with zillow and redfin are around 120s to 200s. This is in the Roanoke Virginia area. 

    THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THEIR INPUT


     Have you looked at other properties that have sold in that area? I would check out the ones that have sold at the price you are wanting and see how they compare. Is the new room in the basement? Because every state has different rules about what is considered a room. I always clean up the places I sell although I also enjoy the rehab process. 

  • Patrick DruryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @My Danh
    Have your agent send you comps of the property if it were to sell as-is vs adding the extra bed and bath. With the comps, you should have a good idea of it's ARV. You should be able to see the price difference and determine if it's worth it based on what you will get in relation to what it will cost.

  • Rental Property Investor · Roanoke, VA · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 15 votes
    4y

    Hey @My Danh!  I am a very active local investor in Roanoke.  I'd love to chat with you about the property.  Buying homes that need rehabs is my specialty, so this could be a win/win. 

  • Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 6 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Patrick Drury:

    @My Danh
    Have your agent send you comps of the property if it were to sell as-is vs adding the extra bed and bath. With the comps, you should have a good idea of it's ARV. You should be able to see the price difference and determine if it's worth it based on what you will get in relation to what it will cost.


     Thank you.  

    Appreciate the information. Didnt even think of asking for ARV.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    I would talk to a couple of local realtors to get their opinion.

  • Real Estate Agent · Florence, KY · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 17 votes
    4y

    In my area (Northern Kentucky) I would recommend if time and budget allows it to always reno/upgrade the property. Talk to your local REALTOR or do research on your own to see what comps have in your area and renovate the property to have the features that are trending in your area. Thinking like a flipper, finding out what the home will sell for in the current condition then compare similar homes with carpet vs hard wood to any other repairs, get estimates on what it would cost do to the work and see if you will make come out on top after the investment

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.