• REALTOR®
  • Bastrop, TX
Votes |
Are Slumlords really that bad...

Patrick Connell
  • REALTOR®
  • Bastrop, TX
Posted Dec 30 2013, 06:31

I was driving into the office today and had this thought.....are slumlords really that bad? Hear me out and then you decide.

I think it's safe to assume that most of the folks on BP would consider themselves better than average landlords/REI. I mean, that's one of the main reasons we're all here, to better ourselves, share with one another, and be more successful.

We learn to screen tenants better, keep out the bad ones, only accept the good ones, stick to our criteria, cover our backsides with specific clauses, etc. But where do all the tenants that we reject or don't even process go; I mean, they have to live somewhere???

Perhaps, slumlords are not simply people that are trying to cut corners or provide horrible conditions to earn an extra buck, but maybe that's just how they make their return on renting to tenants that no one else would dream of touching? This also begs the question of whether or not those same tenants are entitled to anything other than what's provided for them in the law?

I don't present this as a support of "slum lording" (is this even a word) but perhaps as another niche for certain investors; whether or not any of us would ever touch it....

Thoughts?

Loading replies...