How to get out of fix and flip

How to get out of fix and flip

Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 0 votes

In December 2024, I purchased a condo through a fix and flip loan under my LLC. The loan is for 6 months. It's almost 6 months in June. I can't rent it because the HOA has a 2 year rental restriction and it's not selling. I can't get into a DSCR loan because I can't rent it. What can I do??! I do not want to refinance it under my name 😭 any help on guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!

0Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Quote from @Erika Montane:

In December 2024, I purchased a condo through a fix and flip loan under my LLC. The loan is for 6 months. It's almost 6 months in June. I can't rent it because the HOA has a 2 year rental restriction and it's not selling. I can't get into a DSCR loan because I can't rent it. What can I do??! I do not want to refinance it under my name 😭 any help on guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!

Ask the lender for an extension.
See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Erika Montane:

    In December 2024, I purchased a condo through a fix and flip loan under my LLC. The loan is for 6 months. It's almost 6 months in June. I can't rent it because the HOA has a 2 year rental restriction and it's not selling. I can't get into a DSCR loan because I can't rent it. What can I do??! I do not want to refinance it under my name 😭 any help on guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!

    Ask the lender for an extension.
    • Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 0 votes
      1y

      @Ken M. Thanks Ken! I plan to but the monthly payments are interest only and I'm at the point of just keeping it and waiting to rent it next December. Is there another loan option?

    • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Erika Montane:

      @Ken M. Thanks Ken! I plan to but the monthly payments are interest only and I'm at the point of just keeping it and waiting to rent it next December. Is there another loan option?

      What I do is sell on lease option. That is, I get 10% down on an option then lease it at a cash flow rate. That doesn't get you out of the underlying loan though, so it's not likely to help. 
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Erika Montane:

    In December 2024, I purchased a condo through a fix and flip loan under my LLC. The loan is for 6 months. It's almost 6 months in June. I can't rent it because the HOA has a 2 year rental restriction and it's not selling. I can't get into a DSCR loan because I can't rent it. What can I do??! I do not want to refinance it under my name 😭 any help on guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!


    Assuming you finished the rehab, can you drop the price? share the listing and we can provide added feedback

    7e investments53 Reviews
    • Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 0 votes
      1y

      @Chris Seveney I dropped it 26k leaving barely any room for profit. Is there any other loan option?

    • Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 0 votes
      1y

      @Chris Seveney https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/140-S-Cypress-Rd-Apt-128_Pompano-Beach_FL_33060_M59383-50691?cid=soc_shares_fs_ldp

    • Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 0 votes
      1y

      @Chris Seveney thank you!

    • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Erika Montane:

      @Chris Seveney https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/140-S-Cypress-Rd-Apt-128_Pompano-Beach_FL_33060_M59383-50691?cid=soc_shares_fs_ldp


       First comment off the bat is the photos stink. There is only 13 and they are not great. I would always hire a photographer. There is 3 available in your condominium and a ton available in that city. I think the DOM is going to be longer. Did you look at that going into it? How long have you been listed?

    • Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 0 votes
      1y

      @Caleb Brown it's been on since February but I'll definitely look at getting a photographer - never thought about that. Thanks!

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Can you move into and refi into a long term loan? Outside of that your only option is dropping the price and get it moving. Condos are slower sellers. Make sure it is listed well with marketing to go along with it

    • Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 0 votes
      1y

      @Caleb Brown definitely a lesson learned. I'm just wondering about getting it into a loan under the LLC that will allow me to pay off the principal as well not just interest and possibly just keeping it to rent it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami · Member since 2022 · 247 posts · 75 votes
    1y

    Erika, 

    I/O is the best payment possible only a Heloc is better thar I/O.

    There are options to  refi to long term not rent.  Contact me I give you my Lender. 

    what people from our group is doing is Rent to Own to serious buyer fix credit, income tax and they can buy next year. 

    But you are not a landlord nothing to fix or management issues. 

    Luis Maquiera MMP

  • New to Real Estate · Miami, FL · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 457 votes
    1y

    Erika, you're in a tough but common spot with fix-and-flips in HOA-restricted properties.

    Since a DSCR loan is off the table due to the rental restriction, and you don't want to refi under your personal name, your best option is likely a short-term bridge loan under your LLC. This would buy you more time to hold and sell without rushing into a bad deal or using personal credit. Some lenders offer 12–18 month interest-only bridge loans that can refinance your current fix & flip loan and give you breathing room.

  • Specialist · NJ · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 652 votes
    1y

    Lower the price to your breakeven or to whatever loss you are willing to take to get this off your plate.  Sounds like your only option.

  • Lender · Ellington, CT · Member since 2024 · 210 posts · 103 votes
    1y

    Hi Erika,

    If you aren't able to get an extension with your current lender then you may want to consider a bridge with a rate/term refi. The only issue that will come up is that when they see that it was recently listed. Going with the rate/term option though you should be able to cover the existing loan and get your rate a little lower.

    There were also a good number of comments regarding selling the property above that you should consider as well. best of luck and I hope you're able to get it sold before your maturity date hits.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Can you move in? That way you can refi into an owner occupied loan?

    Also, the photos aren't great. Higher a professional photographer. When I took a look I couldn't tell that it was remodeled. My guess is that it looks better in person.

    Unfortunately this is part of the risk with flipping condos. You mentioned you can't go any lower but at $602/month that eats profit pretty quick. You may want to sell at a loss and move on. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.