Dual Military Strategy: Best Way to Acquire 2 Fourplexes Using VA Loans?

Dual Military Strategy: Best Way to Acquire 2 Fourplexes Using VA Loans?

Member since 2026 · 5 posts · 3 votes

My spouse and I are both active-duty military and planning our transition into real estate investing over the next few years.

We are trying to build the smartest strategy to acquire two 4-plex properties using our separate VA loan entitlements, ideally as a long-term house-hack + buy-and-hold wealth strategy.

Current situation

  • Dual military household
  • Both eligible for separate VA loan entitlements
  • Likely relocation to San Diego
  • Strong long-term income stability from military retirement and future civilian careers
  • Goal is to use one VA loan first, then the second spouse's VA entitlement for the next 4-plex
  • Long-term objective is to 1031 exchange into larger apartment complexes / commercial multifamily

Main questions

  1. What is the best sequencing strategy for using both VA loans on multifamily (4 units max)?
  2. Is it smarter to:
    • buy the first 4-plex in San Diego and live in one unit,
    • then use spouse's VA loan for the second 4-plex after PCS / separation,
    • or target lower-cost markets first for stronger cash flow?
  3. For those who have done dual VA multifamily house hacks, what timeline worked best between purchases?
  4. Any issues with lenders when both spouses plan to use their own VA entitlement separately?
  5. At what point would you pivot from the 2nd fourplex into commercial 5+ unit acquisitions via 1031 exchange?

Would really appreciate advice from anyone who has executed a similar dual-military VA multifamily scaling strategy.

3Reply
182 views

Most Popular Reply

Dan H.Pro Member
Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
5mo
Quote from @Diego M Velasquez:

Dan,

Appreciate the insight and the breakdown — those numbers definitely got my attention. I'm still overseas with some time left on station, so I'm in research and planning mode right now. Curious how the multifamily market has been moving out there lately — are you seeing much inventory on quads?

Respectfully, Diego


 The kart 2 years the appreciation here has been flattish.   Every source I have seen has the last 2 years between 1% and 3% per year for those 2 years and one source I have seen has last year just above 0%.

Most MF in San Diego are in class b- and below, but there are exceptions.  I own some small MF in class a- areas.  I own many in class b- to c areas.   I have done well with both, but the lower class are more work.

San diego class c and below is not as rough as most other areas class c and below.   The tenant in these areas virtually always still pay their rent and Do not need to be evicted.   There is more tenant drama, they can be rougher in the units, and occasionally (real occasionally) a late payment.   The housing shortage results in paying tenants.   San Diego has near lowest eviction rate and delinquent payments in the country.

That sounds good, but it has the cost in initial cash flow. 0.7% monthly rent ratio is considered good. 1% likely is still cash negative at high LTV. There is also statewide rent control that prevents you easily taking a below market rent MF unit and raising it quickly to market rent. One way to legally get a below market tenant out is to move yourself or close family into the unit. In San Diego this "no fault eviction (terrible name as it is not an eviction but terminating the lease at lease end) has a cost of between 1 and 3 times rent. The other way is via a rehab extensive enough that tenant cannot reasonably occupy the unit through the rehab. Abatement works always, remove a wall or the textured ceiling.

I do not want to make it sound easy or passive, but it is very possible to do well in San Diego RE.  Look at my appreciation numbers from the earlier post.   I have had months with 6 digits of appreciation (not lately) in my fairly small RE portfolio.

If you want passive income, choose stocks or something else.   I have been doing my underwriting for the last couple years as no appreciation or rent growth for 5 year.  Even though I am 2 years of the 5 into this, I continue to underwrite at 0% for five years.   I say this so you know there could be some lean years.  Negative cash flow that is not improving sucks but is a possibility.   All I can say is historically San Diego is both a top appreciation and rent growth market.  I do not believe that has changed.

The higher rent growth market will virtually always have better cash flow over a long hold versus the better initial cash flow market (think Midwest as prime example).

Good luck  

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    5mo

    Thank you for you and your spouses service.

    I am an RE investor in San Diego.   If you want to purchase in San Diego, I recommend it be as soon as possible.  Here are some of my thoughts:

    - at high LTV your quad will be initially cash flow negative. The cash flow historically improves quickly, but it does take time. Ideally, the San Diego property has positive cash flow before you and/or your spouse's separation.

    - CA has prop 13.  This caps prop tax increases to 2%/year.   San Diego historically has appreciated near 6% on average.   This implies in general your property taxes are lower per value the longer you hold.  by the time of your separation, you could be saving thousands per year versus buying at the time of your separation.

    - historically San Diego re appreciates at almost 6%/year. By the time you separate there is a good chance you can refinance to obtain the deposit for another quad and making available both VA loans.

    By the way, I virtually always obtain 30 year fixed rate loans (my first home loan I got A 29 year loan and every other loan has been 30 year term) but have never had a loan as long as 10 years and seldom as long as 5 years (but currently have 8 at 4.5 years).  The reason that I seldom have loans more than 5 years is because how fast they have appreciated.   My slowest appreciating San Diego property has appreciated $2600/month.  I have multiple properties that have appreciated over $10k/month.  

    There is no reason that your quad will not appreciate at least $2600/month and likely much more.

    Good luck

  • Member since 2026 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    5mo

    Dan,

    Appreciate the insight and the breakdown — those numbers definitely got my attention. I'm still overseas with some time left on station, so I'm in research and planning mode right now. Curious how the multifamily market has been moving out there lately — are you seeing much inventory on quads?

    Respectfully, Diego

    • Dan H.Pro Member
      Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Diego M Velasquez:

      Dan,

      Appreciate the insight and the breakdown — those numbers definitely got my attention. I'm still overseas with some time left on station, so I'm in research and planning mode right now. Curious how the multifamily market has been moving out there lately — are you seeing much inventory on quads?

      Respectfully, Diego


       The kart 2 years the appreciation here has been flattish.   Every source I have seen has the last 2 years between 1% and 3% per year for those 2 years and one source I have seen has last year just above 0%.

      Most MF in San Diego are in class b- and below, but there are exceptions.  I own some small MF in class a- areas.  I own many in class b- to c areas.   I have done well with both, but the lower class are more work.

      San diego class c and below is not as rough as most other areas class c and below.   The tenant in these areas virtually always still pay their rent and Do not need to be evicted.   There is more tenant drama, they can be rougher in the units, and occasionally (real occasionally) a late payment.   The housing shortage results in paying tenants.   San Diego has near lowest eviction rate and delinquent payments in the country.

      That sounds good, but it has the cost in initial cash flow. 0.7% monthly rent ratio is considered good. 1% likely is still cash negative at high LTV. There is also statewide rent control that prevents you easily taking a below market rent MF unit and raising it quickly to market rent. One way to legally get a below market tenant out is to move yourself or close family into the unit. In San Diego this "no fault eviction (terrible name as it is not an eviction but terminating the lease at lease end) has a cost of between 1 and 3 times rent. The other way is via a rehab extensive enough that tenant cannot reasonably occupy the unit through the rehab. Abatement works always, remove a wall or the textured ceiling.

      I do not want to make it sound easy or passive, but it is very possible to do well in San Diego RE.  Look at my appreciation numbers from the earlier post.   I have had months with 6 digits of appreciation (not lately) in my fairly small RE portfolio.

      If you want passive income, choose stocks or something else.   I have been doing my underwriting for the last couple years as no appreciation or rent growth for 5 year.  Even though I am 2 years of the 5 into this, I continue to underwrite at 0% for five years.   I say this so you know there could be some lean years.  Negative cash flow that is not improving sucks but is a possibility.   All I can say is historically San Diego is both a top appreciation and rent growth market.  I do not believe that has changed.

      The higher rent growth market will virtually always have better cash flow over a long hold versus the better initial cash flow market (think Midwest as prime example).

      Good luck  

    • Member since 2026 · 5 posts · 3 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Dan H.:
      Quote from @Diego M Velasquez:

      Dan,

      Appreciate the insight and the breakdown — those numbers definitely got my attention. I'm still overseas with some time left on station, so I'm in research and planning mode right now. Curious how the multifamily market has been moving out there lately — are you seeing much inventory on quads?

      Respectfully, Diego


       The kart 2 years the appreciation here has been flattish.   Every source I have seen has the last 2 years between 1% and 3% per year for those 2 years and one source I have seen has last year just above 0%.

      Most MF in San Diego are in class b- and below, but there are exceptions.  I own some small MF in class a- areas.  I own many in class b- to c areas.   I have done well with both, but the lower class are more work.

      San diego class c and below is not as rough as most other areas class c and below.   The tenant in these areas virtually always still pay their rent and Do not need to be evicted.   There is more tenant drama, they can be rougher in the units, and occasionally (real occasionally) a late payment.   The housing shortage results in paying tenants.   San Diego has near lowest eviction rate and delinquent payments in the country.

      That sounds good, but it has the cost in initial cash flow. 0.7% monthly rent ratio is considered good. 1% likely is still cash negative at high LTV. There is also statewide rent control that prevents you easily taking a below market rent MF unit and raising it quickly to market rent. One way to legally get a below market tenant out is to move yourself or close family into the unit. In San Diego this "no fault eviction (terrible name as it is not an eviction but terminating the lease at lease end) has a cost of between 1 and 3 times rent. The other way is via a rehab extensive enough that tenant cannot reasonably occupy the unit through the rehab. Abatement works always, remove a wall or the textured ceiling.

      I do not want to make it sound easy or passive, but it is very possible to do well in San Diego RE.  Look at my appreciation numbers from the earlier post.   I have had months with 6 digits of appreciation (not lately) in my fairly small RE portfolio.

      If you want passive income, choose stocks or something else.   I have been doing my underwriting for the last couple years as no appreciation or rent growth for 5 year.  Even though I am 2 years of the 5 into this, I continue to underwrite at 0% for five years.   I say this so you know there could be some lean years.  Negative cash flow that is not improving sucks but is a possibility.   All I can say is historically San Diego is both a top appreciation and rent growth market.  I do not believe that has changed.

      The higher rent growth market will virtually always have better cash flow over a long hold versus the better initial cash flow market (think Midwest as prime example).

      Good luck  


      Dan — really appreciate you laying this out. The rent ratio reality and AB 1482 stuff is exactly what I needed to hear. I'll be honest, I was going in thinking a 4-plex house hack in San Diego would cash flow pretty quickly but it sounds like I need to reset expectations on that. I'm retiring from the Navy to San Diego in late 2027, planning to use VA loan at 0% down. Wife is also active duty so she'd have her own VA entitlement for a second property somewhere with better cash flow — haven't locked in where yet. A couple questions if you don't mind: what areas are you seeing the best opportunity for small MF right now? And how much reserves would you recommend having set aside if I'm going in expecting negative cash flow for the first couple years? Trying to make sure I don't get caught off guard. Thanks again for the real talk.

    • Dan H.Pro Member
      Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Diego M Velasquez:
      Quote from @Dan H.:
      Quote from @Diego M Velasquez:

      Dan,

      Appreciate the insight and the breakdown — those numbers definitely got my attention. I'm still overseas with some time left on station, so I'm in research and planning mode right now. Curious how the multifamily market has been moving out there lately — are you seeing much inventory on quads?

      Respectfully, Diego


       The kart 2 years the appreciation here has been flattish.   Every source I have seen has the last 2 years between 1% and 3% per year for those 2 years and one source I have seen has last year just above 0%.

      Most MF in San Diego are in class b- and below, but there are exceptions.  I own some small MF in class a- areas.  I own many in class b- to c areas.   I have done well with both, but the lower class are more work.

      San diego class c and below is not as rough as most other areas class c and below.   The tenant in these areas virtually always still pay their rent and Do not need to be evicted.   There is more tenant drama, they can be rougher in the units, and occasionally (real occasionally) a late payment.   The housing shortage results in paying tenants.   San Diego has near lowest eviction rate and delinquent payments in the country.

      That sounds good, but it has the cost in initial cash flow. 0.7% monthly rent ratio is considered good. 1% likely is still cash negative at high LTV. There is also statewide rent control that prevents you easily taking a below market rent MF unit and raising it quickly to market rent. One way to legally get a below market tenant out is to move yourself or close family into the unit. In San Diego this "no fault eviction (terrible name as it is not an eviction but terminating the lease at lease end) has a cost of between 1 and 3 times rent. The other way is via a rehab extensive enough that tenant cannot reasonably occupy the unit through the rehab. Abatement works always, remove a wall or the textured ceiling.

      I do not want to make it sound easy or passive, but it is very possible to do well in San Diego RE.  Look at my appreciation numbers from the earlier post.   I have had months with 6 digits of appreciation (not lately) in my fairly small RE portfolio.

      If you want passive income, choose stocks or something else.   I have been doing my underwriting for the last couple years as no appreciation or rent growth for 5 year.  Even though I am 2 years of the 5 into this, I continue to underwrite at 0% for five years.   I say this so you know there could be some lean years.  Negative cash flow that is not improving sucks but is a possibility.   All I can say is historically San Diego is both a top appreciation and rent growth market.  I do not believe that has changed.

      The higher rent growth market will virtually always have better cash flow over a long hold versus the better initial cash flow market (think Midwest as prime example).

      Good luck  


      Dan — really appreciate you laying this out. The rent ratio reality and AB 1482 stuff is exactly what I needed to hear. I'll be honest, I was going in thinking a 4-plex house hack in San Diego would cash flow pretty quickly but it sounds like I need to reset expectations on that. I'm retiring from the Navy to San Diego in late 2027, planning to use VA loan at 0% down. Wife is also active duty so she'd have her own VA entitlement for a second property somewhere with better cash flow — haven't locked in where yet. A couple questions if you don't mind: what areas are you seeing the best opportunity for small MF right now? And how much reserves would you recommend having set aside if I'm going in expecting negative cash flow for the first couple years? Trying to make sure I don't get caught off guard. Thanks again for the real talk.


      Escondido may have the best initial cash flow in San Diego, but initial cash flow is not the entire story.   I have made a fair amount of money in Escondido, but if starting again I would go higher class areas.

      Escondido I would rate as class b+ to class d+, but the best initial cash blow is class c+ to c-.   These can have tenant drama and tenants can be hard on units.

      I recommend going higher in class and giving up some initial cash flow.   No lower than b-.

      By the way few places have historically had the cash flow of San Diego over a long hold (>10 years).   

      Initial cash flow is a terrible indicator of long term cash flow and this is by market dynamics.  Which areas have best initial cash flow?  Areas with challenging tenants, various risks, poor appreciation outlook, and poor rent growth outlook.   Seeing rent growth is the key variable on long term cash flow, the best initial cash flow markets are rare to have the best appreciation over a long hold (Indianapolis is a recent exception).

      What if I told you my two of my properties have over 4% monthly rent to purchase (including any rehab) ratios and that they all exceed 1% and I believe most exceed 2%? Do not forget prop 13's impact on the potential cash flow. You would think that my cash flow must be outstanding but the reality is I do not care the source of my return and I achieve best ROI with high leverage. Because I have extracted value every time it makes sense, my cash flow is not high per the value of assets (but is high enough that I can live a very fine life off my current cash flow).

      I do not make this offer many times, but let me know when you reach San Diego and if you desire we can visit some of my units and discuss the financials.  Note after GFC, virtually everything made sense to purchase in San Diego.   It was about getting best value because of capital constraints.   I lost many a purchase for so little that it does not make sense now and I should have found a way to purchase more.   So those were easy decisions.   Day 1 positive cash flow in a high appreciation market.  More interesting are the purchases since 2020.


      good luck


  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5mo

    OP are you already using your two Base Allowance for Housing to invest?

    I would run the numbers and the headaches doing a SFH for say $1.2 to $1.5mm in San Diego versus a 4 MFH unit. If you're only going to be there for say 3 years the SFH will probably be the better play. 0 occupancy issues, 0 tenant issues, lower rehab costs between renters.

    Lower risk exposure.  Also access the market.  My son just moved there with the Navy.  New  apartment vacancy to compete against. 

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5mo

    OP. Think taxes also.  

    If you go the Primary residency route you can use the 2 out of 5 year tax free gains up to??? $250,000 together or per person.  You could do 3 houses in 5 years.

    if you go the MFH route you could do 1031, but I wouldn’t due to your 2 to 3 year assignments make doing a 1031 very tight.  Plus you still have to pay the taxes at some point.  

    • Member since 2026 · 5 posts · 3 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Henry Clark:

      OP. Think taxes also.  

      If you go the Primary residency route you can use the 2 out of 5 year tax free gains up to??? $250,000 together or per person.  You could do 3 houses in 5 years.

      if you go the MFH route you could do 1031, but I wouldn’t due to your 2 to 3 year assignments make doing a 1031 very tight.  Plus you still have to pay the taxes at some point.  


      Henry — appreciate the insight, especially on the 121 exclusion angle. You're right that 1031s get tight on military timelines. My situation is a bit different though — I'm retiring to San Diego permanently (Sep 2027), not rotating to another duty station. So the 4-plex play is a long hold for me, not a 2-3 year flip. Plan is house hack one unit, rent three, use VA loan at 0% down with no funding fee (100% disability). Wife keeps her VA entitlement for a second property in San Antonio. The SFH simplicity argument is solid though — I'll run the numbers side by side. What kind of vacancy rates are you seeing in San Diego multifamily right now? And good point about the new apartment supply — is that mainly hitting the downtown/luxury segment or spreading to the workforce housing market too?
  • Twana RasoulBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo

    @Diego M Velasquez

    You're getting solid advice here. If your goal is to build the most wealth, the best move is typically maximizing your VA loan by targeting 3-4 unit properties, especially in a market like San Diego.

    I've helped couples use their VA entitlements separately to acquire 7–8 total units within about 14 months of being stationed here. That strategy can significantly accelerate your portfolio growth early on.

    To save you time, I wouldn’t focus on single-family homes. The numbers usually don’t pencil as well compared to small multifamily, even though SFRs can be a bit easier to manage.

    Deals are harder to find today, but they’re still out there if you know what to look for.

    One thing most people don’t realize: if you buy a single-family home first in San Diego and then try to go back and purchase an owner-occupied multifamily, it’s extremely difficult to get approved. On the flip side, it’s much easier to start with a 4-unit property and then buy a single-family home a year later. I’ve seen a lot of people make that mistake and limit their options early.

    On a personal level, my wife and I are active investors. Our most recent multifamily purchase was about 6 months ago, and we picked up a single-family property around 3 months ago.

    We started by buying in more affordable C-class areas where we could qualify, then used 1031 exchanges to trade up into B-class or better neighborhoods. That shift has improved long-term appreciation, rental growth, and overall ease of management.

    • Member since 2026 · 5 posts · 3 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Twana Rasoul:

      @Diego M Velasquez

      You're getting solid advice here. If your goal is to build the most wealth, the best move is typically maximizing your VA loan by targeting 3-4 unit properties, especially in a market like San Diego.

      I've helped couples use their VA entitlements separately to acquire 7–8 total units within about 14 months of being stationed here. That strategy can significantly accelerate your portfolio growth early on.

      To save you time, I wouldn’t focus on single-family homes. The numbers usually don’t pencil as well compared to small multifamily, even though SFRs can be a bit easier to manage.

      Deals are harder to find today, but they’re still out there if you know what to look for.

      One thing most people don’t realize: if you buy a single-family home first in San Diego and then try to go back and purchase an owner-occupied multifamily, it’s extremely difficult to get approved. On the flip side, it’s much easier to start with a 4-unit property and then buy a single-family home a year later. I’ve seen a lot of people make that mistake and limit their options early.

      On a personal level, my wife and I are active investors. Our most recent multifamily purchase was about 6 months ago, and we picked up a single-family property around 3 months ago.

      We started by buying in more affordable C-class areas where we could qualify, then used 1031 exchanges to trade up into B-class or better neighborhoods. That shift has improved long-term appreciation, rental growth, and overall ease of management.


      Twana, appreciate the insight -- especially the sequencing point about buying the 4-plex first. That's the kind of thing you only learn from watching people make the mistake.

      Lots of great advice in this thread and I'm taking all of it in. My wife and I are active duty Navy in Japan right now, relocating to San Diego late 2027. Want to hit the ground running, not start looking after we arrive.

      I'd love to connect offline if you're open to it. Always good to learn from someone who's actively investing in the market we're heading into.

  • Member since 2026 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    5mo

    Thank you for your service!

    I recently enlisted as well, youre an inspiration considering you are on a path i hope to follow.

    If you need any creative financing or General contractor work. I have some resources!

  • Twana RasoulBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo

    sure thing, I'll send you a message.  @Diego M Velasquez

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.