Investing in Jacksonville (32209, 32206)

Investing in Jacksonville (32209, 32206)

Investor · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2013 · 25 posts · 7 votes

What's up everyone. I am in the market for another rental. I have experience in investing in class D neighborhoods as I have two quads in Belle Glade since 2016 that are doing pretty well. I've been looking in Jacksonville and noticed a lot of inventory in 32209 and surrounding areas. A lot of houses are sitting well over 90 DOM so I know there is plenty of flexibility in negotiations. As a South Floridian, I don't have any first hand experience with this specific area but everything I am finding suggests that it is a very high crime area. Is there anyone here with hands on experience that can advise if there's any potential here? Is it that hard to cash flow? Thanks in advance.

4Reply
223 views

Most Popular Reply

Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2026 · 9 posts · 5 votes
4mo

Hey Rudy! 

As a Jacksonville native, I can share some local perspective. While those ZIP codes haven't traditionally been considered among the area's strongest-performing neighborhoods, Jacksonville is evolving rapidly and many submarkets are changing alongside that growth.

One factor worth paying attention to is the significant redevelopment taking place throughout Downtown Jacksonville and the surrounding urban core. As major projects continue to come online over the next several years, nearby neighborhoods could experience meaningful shifts in demand, infrastructure, and overall desirability.

Whether the timing makes sense today depends on your investment strategy, risk tolerance, and hold period. If you're taking a long-term approach, there may be opportunities worth exploring as the area continues to mature.

I'd recommend digging into neighborhood-level trends, planned developments, and rental demand before making a decision. Jacksonville is a large and highly segmented market, so local knowledge can make a big difference when evaluating specific opportunities. :)

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2026 · 9 posts · 5 votes
    4mo

    Hey Rudy! 

    As a Jacksonville native, I can share some local perspective. While those ZIP codes haven't traditionally been considered among the area's strongest-performing neighborhoods, Jacksonville is evolving rapidly and many submarkets are changing alongside that growth.

    One factor worth paying attention to is the significant redevelopment taking place throughout Downtown Jacksonville and the surrounding urban core. As major projects continue to come online over the next several years, nearby neighborhoods could experience meaningful shifts in demand, infrastructure, and overall desirability.

    Whether the timing makes sense today depends on your investment strategy, risk tolerance, and hold period. If you're taking a long-term approach, there may be opportunities worth exploring as the area continues to mature.

    I'd recommend digging into neighborhood-level trends, planned developments, and rental demand before making a decision. Jacksonville is a large and highly segmented market, so local knowledge can make a big difference when evaluating specific opportunities. :)

  • Member since 2026 · 71 posts · 30 votes
    4mo

    You put your finger on the key signal without quite naming it: the high days-on-market. In class-D ZIPs like these, DOM is the demand read — it's the market telling you how thin the renter pool is at that price. A deal in 32209/32206 can pencil beautifully and still sit, because the cash flow assumes a tenant who takes 60+ days to show up.

    So before the cash-flow math, I'd look at the absorption gap: how do 32209/32206 compare to the tracts right next to them on DOM and rental occupancy, and is renter demand there holding or sliding? If those two are materially slower than their neighbors, the slow DOM isn't noise — it's the market pricing in risk the spreadsheet doesn't show. Class-D can absolutely work, but these live or die on the vacancy/turnover line, not the rent number.

    Are you underwriting an extended-vacancy assumption for those, or closer to market average?

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 935 votes
    4mo
    Quote from @Rudy Brown:

    What's up everyone. I am in the market for another rental. I have experience in investing in class D neighborhoods as I have two quads in Belle Glade since 2016 that are doing pretty well. I've been looking in Jacksonville and noticed a lot of inventory in 32209 and surrounding areas. A lot of houses are sitting well over 90 DOM so I know there is plenty of flexibility in negotiations. As a South Floridian, I don't have any first hand experience with this specific area but everything I am finding suggests that it is a very high crime area. Is there anyone here with hands on experience that can advise if there's any potential here? Is it that hard to cash flow? Thanks in advance.


    You’re already comfortable in higher-risk, higher-yield areas, so you’re not new to the game here. The real question with pockets like 32209 is less “can it cash flow” and more “what level of management and tenant tolerance are you signing up for.” High DOM and price flexibility usually mean opportunity, but also higher turnover, maintenance, and variability in tenant quality that can eat into returns fast if your systems aren’t tight. A lot of investors at that stage start comparing those kinds of deals with Midwest markets, where you can still find off-market and under-valued small multifamily that cash flows without needing to operate at the edge of the risk curve. Sometimes the same capital performs better just by changing geography and reducing volatility, even if the headline yield looks slightly lower.
  • Robert EllisBusiness Member
    Developer · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4mo
    Quote from @Rudy Brown:

    What's up everyone. I am in the market for another rental. I have experience in investing in class D neighborhoods as I have two quads in Belle Glade since 2016 that are doing pretty well. I've been looking in Jacksonville and noticed a lot of inventory in 32209 and surrounding areas. A lot of houses are sitting well over 90 DOM so I know there is plenty of flexibility in negotiations. As a South Floridian, I don't have any first hand experience with this specific area but everything I am finding suggests that it is a very high crime area. Is there anyone here with hands on experience that can advise if there's any potential here? Is it that hard to cash flow? Thanks in advance.


    If I were in your position, I'd spend less time looking at the cash flow projection and more time studying turnover, vacancy, and tenant demand at the neighborhood level. You've already proven you're comfortable operating in higher-risk areas with your Belle Glade properties, so the question isn't whether Class D investing works. It's whether these specific Jacksonville pockets compensate you enough for the additional risk.

    What matters most here is understanding why properties are sitting 90+ days. The mistake I see investors make is assuming longer DOM automatically creates opportunity. Sometimes it does. Sometimes it's the market telling you that other investors have already underwritten the risk and decided the return isn't worth it. In neighborhoods like 32209 and 32206, vacancy, collections, turnover, crime, and management quality can have a much larger impact on returns than a few hundred dollars per month in projected cash flow. Before I bought anything, I'd want to understand occupancy trends, rent collection history, and how quickly comparable rentals are actually leasing. A spreadsheet can make a Class D deal look fantastic right up until you experience a few months of vacancy or a major turnover event.

    Given your experience in Belle Glade, I'd be comparing actual net operating performance rather than headline cap rates. If a property in Jacksonville shows a higher cap rate but requires significantly more management, turnover, and vacancy reserves, the "better" deal may not actually be better.

    Are the properties you're looking at already occupied and performing, or are you underwriting vacant properties and relying on pro forma rents to make the numbers work?

    • Investor · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2013 · 25 posts · 7 votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Robert Ellis:
      Quote from @Rudy Brown:

      What's up everyone. I am in the market for another rental. I have experience in investing in class D neighborhoods as I have two quads in Belle Glade since 2016 that are doing pretty well. I've been looking in Jacksonville and noticed a lot of inventory in 32209 and surrounding areas. A lot of houses are sitting well over 90 DOM so I know there is plenty of flexibility in negotiations. As a South Floridian, I don't have any first hand experience with this specific area but everything I am finding suggests that it is a very high crime area. Is there anyone here with hands on experience that can advise if there's any potential here? Is it that hard to cash flow? Thanks in advance.


      If I were in your position, I'd spend less time looking at the cash flow projection and more time studying turnover, vacancy, and tenant demand at the neighborhood level. You've already proven you're comfortable operating in higher-risk areas with your Belle Glade properties, so the question isn't whether Class D investing works. It's whether these specific Jacksonville pockets compensate you enough for the additional risk.

      What matters most here is understanding why properties are sitting 90+ days. The mistake I see investors make is assuming longer DOM automatically creates opportunity. Sometimes it does. Sometimes it's the market telling you that other investors have already underwritten the risk and decided the return isn't worth it. In neighborhoods like 32209 and 32206, vacancy, collections, turnover, crime, and management quality can have a much larger impact on returns than a few hundred dollars per month in projected cash flow. Before I bought anything, I'd want to understand occupancy trends, rent collection history, and how quickly comparable rentals are actually leasing. A spreadsheet can make a Class D deal look fantastic right up until you experience a few months of vacancy or a major turnover event.

      Given your experience in Belle Glade, I'd be comparing actual net operating performance rather than headline cap rates. If a property in Jacksonville shows a higher cap rate but requires significantly more management, turnover, and vacancy reserves, the "better" deal may not actually be better.

      Are the properties you're looking at already occupied and performing, or are you underwriting vacant properties and relying on pro forma rents to make the numbers work?


       Unfortunately no, of all the properties I have seen, most of them are vacant. However, a large percentage of them are new construction (listed within the last 3 months). A lot of them are slightly under the 1% rule from what I can see. As you stated, I am trying to understand why there are so many vacancies. In my local area, while considered a class D area, I have no problems filling my vacancies within a month. It doesn't seem to be the same in Jacksonville. 

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    4mo
    Quote from @Rudy Brown:

    What's up everyone. I am in the market for another rental. I have experience in investing in class D neighborhoods as I have two quads in Belle Glade since 2016 that are doing pretty well. I've been looking in Jacksonville and noticed a lot of inventory in 32209 and surrounding areas. A lot of houses are sitting well over 90 DOM so I know there is plenty of flexibility in negotiations. As a South Floridian, I don't have any first hand experience with this specific area but everything I am finding suggests that it is a very high crime area. Is there anyone here with hands on experience that can advise if there's any potential here? Is it that hard to cash flow? Thanks in advance.


    So, you say you're comfortable with Class D rentals?

    Then you should understand the info below (our opinion):

    Class D Properties:
    Tenant Pool: Majority of FICO scores under 560, little to no good tradelines, lots of collections & chargeoffs, but should have no convictions/evictions in last 12 months. Verifying last 2-years of rental history and income/employment extremely important to find the “best of the worst”.
    Tenant Default: 20-30% probability of eviction or early lease termination.
    Section 8: Class D rents meet program requirements, often challenges to pass Section 8 inspection.
    Vacancies: 20%+, depending on market conditions and tenant screening.
    Cashflow vs Appreciation: Typically, all cashflow with little, maybe even negative, relative rent & value appreciation.

    Where did we get our FICO credit score information from?

    Check out this chart:

    FICO Score

    Pct of Population

    Default Probability

    800 or more

    13.00%

    1.00%

    750-799

    27.00%

    1.00%

    700-749

    18.00%

    4.40%

    650-699

    15.00%

    8.90%

    600-649

    12.00%

    15.80%

    550-599

    8.00%

    22.50%

    500-549

    5.00%

    28.40%

    Less than 499

    2.00%

    41.00%

    Source: Fair Isaac Company

    Make sure you understand the Class of properties you are looking at and the corresponding results to expect.

    For example, Metro Detroit has 132 cities and the City of Detroit 183 Neighborhoods, which we’re analyzing and classifying to make better investing decisions.

  • Investor · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2013 · 25 posts · 7 votes
    4mo

    You guys are incredible. Thank you so much for the insight! As many of you stated, there are a ton of risks with class D neighborhoods. Having hands on experience in my local area makes me feel a bit more comfortable than the average investor however, the key factor is that I am unfamiliar with Jacksonville territory. I am a hands on investor and there is peace of mind knowing that I can simply go check on my properties. I won't have that luxury in Jacksonville. As I continue my research, I've also noticed a ton of new construction homes going up in the aforementioned zip codes. My initial thoughts are that target gentrification is taking place in this specific area. I may benefit long term by holding a couple of these properties as the value of the area appreciates as a result. I would greatly appreciate insight from anyone that is investing in this area as well!! 

  • Member since 2026 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3mo

    Hey Rudy!

    Im a local wholesaler here in Jacksonville. Im moving around 25 to 30 properties a month. A large bulk of those are in that 32209 area. I would love to send you my deal flow so you can get a feel for the market. Always down to talk real estate as well :)

    Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. 

    don't let the area code fool you lol. I'm from Naples and cant bring myself to change it.

  • Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3mo

    Hi Rudy 

    i'm a jacksonville native, investor and contractor. I'm in these zip codes every day and I can tell you that they are brutal. High vacancy, extremely high turnover cost/repairs. I work for multiple property managers and I can tell you that the average turnover cost for single family homes especially in 32209 and 32206 (non-Springfield areas) is in excess of 5k..EASILY.. And they don't stay that long, maybe a year or 2 at best, if your lucky. The key for these zip codes is quantity... If you only have one or two, you're just gonna lose a ton of money.. But if you have a bunch, you can do pretty good. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.