What can I do?

4 Replies

I found a property in my area that has a home on it and they have passed away. I talked to the woman's children about the property and they said it was left in the will it was left to the woman's son. The problem is they have not opened the estate and do not plan to. They have not paid the taxes on the house in a couple of years. Any ideas on what I can do to buy this property?

Can you look at the country records to see if you can buy the tax lien?

If the deal is good enough, open the estate for them. Tell them you will handle the details, then find a lawyer that can help you with that. (actually you may want to find the lawyer first) 

If they are willing to walk away with nothing then if you can take care of all the details and give them money they weren't expecting they may do the deal.

thanks for the replies and I will look in to both of these this week and let you know how it is going. @Ned Carey  I have done an estate before. Do you think I should do it myself?

Originally posted by @David Lee:

I have done an estate before. Do you think I should do it myself?

Not a chance I would do that. Our time is best spent making deals not venturing to areas that are not our expertise.  Besides if the deal blows up it could be perceived as a conflict of interest and you will look like the bad guy.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here