FHA Questions

3 Replies

Hello all!

I am a California resident and am planning to purchase a home in Texas within the next 6 months using an FHA loan. I am aiming to purchase a fourplex, and owner-occupy one of the four units.

There is a caveat to my plan though: I will not be the one who is the owner-occupier. My partner, who will co-sign the loan, will be living in the unit permanently and will also act as the property manager. I will be living back and forth in both CA and the fourplex in TX.

To anyone who has FHA experience. Will this work? Will I qualify for the FHA loan if I'm not going to be a "permanent" resident? Or am I okay because my partner will be a permanent resident?

Also, many of the fourplexes I am finding are fully occupied. As far as an FHA loans goes, can I still qualify for the loan if the fourplex is fully occupied at the time of purchase?

Any help would be wonderful. Thanks!

-MJ

If your partner is on the loan and is occupying the property, you're covered on the owner occupant requirement.  I don't believe you would be able to legitimately qualify, if the property is fully rented so that neither you nor your partner can occupy.

Where in Texas are you looking?

Thank you for the response Hattie! We are looking in the Fort Worth area.  Is there any time frame wiggle room?  Let's say one of the tenant's lease is expiring in the near future and we intend on occupying their unit upon the ending of the lease - Could that possibly work?

From HUD themselves...

4155.1 4.B.2.b

FHA

Requirement

for Establishing

Owner

Occupancy

At least one borrower must occupy the property and sign the security

instrument and the mortgage note in order for the property to be considered

owner-occupied.

FHA security instruments require a borrower to establish bona fide occupancy

in a home as the borrower’s principal residence within 60 days of signing the

security instrument, with continued occupancy for at least one year.

The entire text of the HUD requirements can be found here...

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=4155-1_4_secB.pdf

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here