7 Replies

Anybody have experience or contacts in Costa Rica? 

No contacts but I was just there in May and there was a ton of properties for sale, seemed like almost everything was from homes to bed and breakfasts. I did see a lot of Century 21 real estate signs everywhere. I was staying in Santa Theresa so I only saw things within a 30 or 40 mile radius from there.

I studied architecture there. Hence, I have contacts in design.  Hit me up if you have q's or need references.

Pura Vida!

My good friend has some properties in Guapiles. My family has rentals in Las Pavas. Very different areas, in deed.

Vacation destinations are quite a bit of work. I would love to own something in Limon.

Sure about Limon? I don't see much buyer demand in that area. Before owners drop prices there they would grow rice and beans again ;-) Besides it's one of the areas with the highest crime rate. I would rather focus on the Central Valley and North and South Pacific areas. Good luck 😊

Can anyone provide further comment on good/bad areas, crime rates, etc? Also, I've heard that financing in CR is really expensive. Are there local/foreign banks that lend to US residents? What are some things to watch out for before considering purchasing an investment property? Where is the best place to look? TIA!

I have lived in Costa Rica for 2.5 years and I am a associate broker there. 

I can answer any questions that anyone has about Costa Rica and areas to invest or live in. 

The best place to look is Guanacaste province and is called the Gold Coast. there are local banks and foreign banks in Costa Rica. However, the local banks on provide mortgages to residents of Costa Rica. Scotia Bank is prevelant in Costa Rica and provides mortgages and loans to non-residents but don't typically lend to Americans. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you