Chan K.
  • Lowell, MA
Votes |
Buying - Multifamily - Rental Transfer

Chan K.
  • Lowell, MA
Posted Feb 12 2015, 19:07

Hi BPer,

I am in the process of closing a 6-Unit multifamily. 

I would like to seek your opinion on the following scenario:

The seller won't share any tenant information with me, except the name of each tenant for all 6-Unit. 

I have an attorney who is representing me. I provide the documents to collect each tenant information, such as legal full name, SSN, Job, emergency number, work, number of people living in the unit, and criminal background question. In addition, I provide rent rule for each tenant to sign. I also give a lead disclosure for each tenant to sign. Ironically, my attorney who is representing me does not know what I am trying to accomplish. I told him that my intention is the collect tenant information, provide rent rule, and lead disclosure as the seller will not share anything with me. 

Are these information reasonable to request and disclose from each tenant prior to closing?

The units have lead paint, what if I took over and the tenants start suing me of lead condition in the next day - you know what I meant. 

How can I take over the building and only know the tenant name of each unit? This is a commercial building for god sake.  

What if I have to evict someone immediately and tenant refuse to give me their information, who do I know to evict?

What if tenants refuse to sign a new rule? Then would not it better to have the current owner evicts them prior to closing.

Please provide me of your thought ...

Loading replies...