Denver Cap Rates

17 Replies

Hey Friends!

I've got a 4-plex in Denver. Cap rate is 11%. Reversionary Cap rate is 14%. Why don't I raise rents? Cause I have good tenants and they don't bother me. I know a lot of people won't understand this, but it works for me.

That being said, I'm looking at expanding into more properties. I know I won't be getting 11%, but does anyone have an estimate of expected Cap rates within 2 miles of Downtown Denver?

Cap rate = Annual Net Operating Income / Purchase Price

Thanks!

Originally posted by @Steven Tawresey :

Hey Friends!

I've got a 4-plex in Denver. Cap rate is 11%.

That being said, I'm looking at expanding into more properties. I know I won't be getting 11%, 

Cap rate = Annual Net Operating Income / Purchase Price

Thanks!

If the market cap rate on your current property is 11% why would you think you couldn't buy at the same cap rate?

He bought it during a cheap time, and now times are different. (just at a guess, but it's not an unreasonable one)  Market's been on the rise quite a lot here over the past few years.

I bought this property 7 years ago when the price was low and refinanced when rates were at the bottom. Rents are up, prices are up, inventory's low, vacancy's low.

I think a typical cap rate in and around Denver is 6-8%, assuming you aren't finding off market deals. No doubt rents are up just like prices. 

For those trying to buy now, 11% cap rates are unheard of. 6-8% is more typical in Denver. 

Originally posted by @Kelly Sennholz :

For those trying to buy now, 11% cap rates are unheard of. 6-8% is more typical in Denver. 

So then the OP is incorrect claiming his property is at an 11% cap.  

Originally posted by @Bob Bowling:
Originally posted by @Kelly Sennholz:

7 years ago vs now.

He has a deal. He should cherish it. I have properties like that, too, but now.... unicorns. 

@Kelly Sennholz   Unicorns, I love it!

Properties I bought in 2010-2012  - Unicorns. 

Prices vs rents now - Miniature Horses.

It seems even finding mini horses in Denver is rare these days.

I think the confusion comes from my use of Purchase price vs. Current Value in the equation. Using my purchase price, I'm around 11%. Using an average value of 7% for Denver Cap rates, and manipulating the equation gives a property value much higher. 

In other words, if someone were to buy my property, I'd sell it to them at a price that nets them 7%. The Cap rate on my initial investment however is different.

Typically talking cap rates for properties that are 4 units and less isn't done too much. Comparable sales is the way 1-4 units are valued. Cap rates are for 5+ unit properties. The difference being the loans that are available for 1-4 unit properties. You get all those BP house hackers driving up the prices on the 1-4 unit properties.

At any rate, I wish you well with finding another property.

Originally posted by @Brian Kraft :

7 years ago vs now.

Then that ship has sailed.  You can't invest in today's market based on 7 year old information.  The property is NOT at a 11% cap today.  

You disagree with the formula in the first post?

Originally posted by @Brian Kraft:

7 years ago vs now.

Then that ship has sailed.  You can't invest in today's market based on 7 year old information.  The property is NOT at a 11% cap today.  

The ship has sailed, but the OP is on the [email protected] an 11% cap rate. He's not looking to buy it, he already owns it.

Originally posted by @Brian Kraft :
Originally posted by @Brian Kraft:

7 years ago vs now.

The ship has sailed, but the OP is on the [email protected] an 11% cap rate. He's not looking to buy it, he already owns it.

Um, NO.  That 11% cap rate died the day similar properties sold at different market cap rates.  He ain't got 11% nothing, well except for the 7 year old memory.

Hey Steven.  Nice work on the 11%!  For current cap rates by market, check out this resource that tracks the top 50 markets in the US. Link here: http://apartmentpropertyvaluation.com/

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here