"I was just showing the house, and my buyer was killed!"

2 Replies

rip.. there goes the neighborhood! =(

wonder around how often this happens, and what could have possibly been the motive - beyond robbery - for specifically just barging in on a house and opening fire, i mean is leaving the front door 'open' or unlocked momentarily (by agent, seler, or buyer) while showing the culprit? it wasn't even an 'open' house or was it?

http://realtormag.realtor.org/daily-news/2015/03/0...

"A real estate agent was showing a married couple a home for-sale just outside of Fort Lauderdale, when a gunman barged in and shot and killed the husband before fleeing, police report."

any tips, i mean should we always lock the front door behind us during showings, even 'open' houses? i usually don't!

This was a tragedy, but you have to balance going on with your life with precaution.  I don't meet strangers at empty houses, but I don't barricade the door every time I show a home either.  It could be just as dangerous to be showing a home to someone you don't know well and lock yourself inside with them.

I don't want to diminish the idea of keeping ourselves safe, but if you look at how many showings there are across the country compared to the number of incidents like this I'd say you're probably more likely to be injured or killed on the drive to the showing. That's one of the bad sides of the "instant information" society we live in. Things like this get reported out of proportion to what really happens and all it does is make us timid and fearful and suspicious of every shadow around the corner. I feel badly for this man, his family and the trauma the agent was put through but I don't think it's enough to warrant taking absurd measures when you're being sufficiently cautious already. And, as Dawn mentioned...had the agent locked the door, the husband and/or wife could have been the one with nefarious motives and then the agent would have been trapped inside with them with no way of escape. 

Bottom line: Be careful but don't let this make you think this kind of thing happens every day at every showing.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here