How Do You Find Out How Much Is Owed On The House

How Do You Find Out How Much Is Owed On The House

Wholesaler · Stone Mountain, GA · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 0 votes

If I find a motivated saler that still has a mortgage on the house. How exactly do I find out how much is owed on the house?

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Jeff G.Pro Member
Investor · Wethersfield, CT · Member since 2013 · 371 posts · 191 votes
11y

@Rashard Brooks

Well, I always ask the seller first for an approximate loan balance. The other thing I do is take the number of years the seller has owned the house and divide that by 30. Most mortgages are 30 year notes. If someone has owned their home for more than 30 years chances are high they've payed off their note entirely.

The only time this won't help is if the seller has aggressively used their home as an ATM machine.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Hampton Roads, VA · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 21 votes
    11y

    Some options are

    1.) research public records @ your local courthouse to find the loan originator, or who is servicing the loan

    2.) have the seller provide the statements. either online or by mail

    3.) have them authorize you to contact their bank. 

  • Laguna Beach, CA · Member since 2014 · 263 posts · 140 votes
    11y

    @Rashard Brooks

    Hi Rashard. Great question you asked. When you find a motivated seller, you can always ask the seller how much is owed on the property. Of course there are other ways to obtain the information too.  In what area of real estate investing are you currently involved?  

  • Jeff G.Pro Member
    Investor · Wethersfield, CT · Member since 2013 · 371 posts · 191 votes
    11y

    @Rashard Brooks

    Well, I always ask the seller first for an approximate loan balance. The other thing I do is take the number of years the seller has owned the house and divide that by 30. Most mortgages are 30 year notes. If someone has owned their home for more than 30 years chances are high they've payed off their note entirely.

    The only time this won't help is if the seller has aggressively used their home as an ATM machine.

  • Wholesaler · Stone Mountain, GA · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    @Victoria Winters I am at the beginning stages of wholesaling(assigning). 

    Thanks everyone for the good advice.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.