How Do You Find Out How Much Is Owed On The House

4 Replies

If I find a motivated saler that still has a mortgage on the house. How exactly do I find out how much is owed on the house?

Some options are

1.) research public records @ your local courthouse to find the loan originator, or who is servicing the loan

2.) have the seller provide the statements. either online or by mail

3.) have them authorize you to contact their bank. 

@Rashard Brooks

Hi Rashard. Great question you asked. When you find a motivated seller, you can always ask the seller how much is owed on the property. Of course there are other ways to obtain the information too.  In what area of real estate investing are you currently involved?  

@Rashard Brooks

Well, I always ask the seller first for an approximate loan balance. The other thing I do is take the number of years the seller has owned the house and divide that by 30. Most mortgages are 30 year notes. If someone has owned their home for more than 30 years chances are high they've payed off their note entirely.

The only time this won't help is if the seller has aggressively used their home as an ATM machine.

@Victoria Winters I am at the beginning stages of wholesaling(assigning). 

Thanks everyone for the good advice.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.