A house I passed on

5 Replies

The outside of the house had new siding which made it pop.  However the description also mentioned the kitchen was updated.  Upon further inspection I think they did a hack job of the kitchen.  Notice the cabinet on the far right.

I would rather someone just left it alone so I could do the rehab the correct way then have to clean up someones mess.

You passed on it because of that kitchen?  

Assuming the numbers made sense, I'd have no issue ripping that all out and replacing :)

Those cabinets look original anyway.  Only the laminate counter top is new....it's "updated" because an update was done.  If you're that picky about condition when you buy where's the value add? 

If that kitchen was updated, I'd hate to see what it was like before!

Heh, updated... From 1950s to 1980s. :-)

Haha.   This was outside my target area.  I was exploring to see what other areas are out there less than an hour away.

No the numbers left little room for cash flow and there were quite a few things the owner did in the other rooms which would need to be repaired.  The neighborhood wasn't the best either.  The price seemed too good to be true and now I know why.  I asked a coworker who lives in that city and he said it would be ok if you want to live near a warzone.  Pass.....

Almost all the rentals I have seen to market in my target area have updated kitchens, bathrooms with granite etc.  I like to give it a refresh if it needs it.  Yes I am picky, but I also won't be dealing with cabinets falling apart or leaky sinks if I do it right the first time.  

Besides the best part is getting to smash things with a sledgehammer. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.