Wire earnest money before contract is executed

3 Replies

I had an offer "accepted." It is an REO that went into multiple offers and they have accepted my offer. The listing agent asked me to sign their contract documents, which is fine. They have asked me to submit the contract with receipt of deposited earnest money at which point they will have the sellers sign and send me the executed contract?

Anyone heard of sending earnest money before receiving an executed contract?

It is common practice if earnest money is not received in a timely manner they will sell to the next bidder ,of course your money is going to an escrow company 

Originally posted by @Andrew Jacobson :

I had an offer "accepted." It is an REO that went into multiple offers and they have accepted my offer. The listing agent asked me to sign their contract documents, which is fine. They have asked me to submit the contract with receipt of deposited earnest money at which point they will have the sellers sign and send me the executed contract?

Anyone heard of sending earnest money before receiving an executed contract?

I generally give the EMD check to my realtor along with the signed contracts (yet to be signed by the seller), so yes, it doesn't sound all that unusual to me. As mentioned above, make sure it's going to a title company.

I have always just included a copy of the EM check in the offer.  Once executed, I then wire the funds within the 48 hour period.  I have never been asked to actually wire the money into escrow when giving my signed portion.  Thanks for the responses 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here