One property already under name, want to continue to purchase more.

6 Replies

I have one property under my name. The thought of me qualifying as a first time buyer is out the window. How would I over come that hurdle to continue buying property with a low down payment in the Los Angeles County market? Any feedback would be great! Best, Jamie

I would start looking for portfolio lenders. They will be a lot more lenient. Or you just need to start getting a little more creative with your financing and consider wholesaling or flipping properties for immediate cash to use for a down payment on a buy and hold. Or there is seller financing. There is a lot of different options and there is a lot you can learn here on BP with how deals can be structured in many different ways. Just always keep learning and never stop reading.

@Colin Smith

You know a added service from realtors for their investor clients

if they were to get on the phone and talk to every lender and try to find out what their criteria is to be a portfolio lender, and then put together a business plan for buying and selling or buying and holding houses, that would serve really well for their local investor community, and help them get commissions on a regular basis from the same investor client

In certain markets prefer oil lenders don't mind funding 80% loan to value, not 80% of sales price

Go find pretty houses at 80% loan to value and write offers all day once you get the okay from the portfolio lender

Also look into self-directed IRA's from private lenders that will fund 80% loan to value

Just because you wont qualify as a first time homebuyer in the future doesn't mean you cant access low money down mortgages.

For an owner occupant, you can put as little as 5% down with a conventional mortgage. Since you already now have an owner occupant, most lenders will expect to see:

1. The next property is more expensive than the first.

2. The next property is more square feet than the first.

3. The next property is not a duplex or triplex.

If any of those conditions are not met by the next property you will have some explaining to do and some hurdles to jump before the lender will qualify you. Difficult, but not impossible!

Originally posted by @Max Tanenbaum :
Originally posted by @Rob Beland:

@Brian Gibbonsis "oil lenders" a typo or something Im not familiar with? 

prefer oil = portfolio

Thank you so much Max

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here