Looking for an insurance quote for my 4 unit property

4 Replies

Hello,

I own a four unit property in Sheboygan WI and am looking to see what a good premium is considered or if anyone knows of anyone I should contact.

Thank you for your time/connections. 

For a four unit, a regular residential broker should be able to cover it. I'd start with the Allstates and State Farms of the world, then maybe go through a broker.

I would call no lessor of 5-10 brokers/companies.  There is just so much variation with property insurance.

Be sure to get the details: Is it a replacement cost or Actual Cash Value (ACV) policy?  Does it include loss of rents? What are the deductibles? Etc.

@Matt Heath

Your rate per $100 of value will range from $0.30 - $0.70.  So a $100,000 building value will have an annual premium of $300 to $700.

in WI, there are a few property characteristics that drive pricing. 

older than 1980  will drive premiums up

Hardwire smoke detectors and/or sprinkler system will greatly drive premiums down

Some companies will not offer quotes on buildings with Roofs older than 20 years

Lastly, if you have had any losses the last few years, that could drive up premiums.

There can be other factors, but 95% of the time the above drive the pricing.

Thanks everyone! I will call around and get some quotes. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.