Direct Mail = Police Report

97 Replies

Man people are nuts.... Seriously. I make it stupid easy to get off my list. Send me a text or call. No big deal. 

"Hello Mr. Dossey. This is officer ***** with the ********** police Department. There's a woman up here who is very upset at 832 ********* lane who is not interested in the solicitation that you sent out to her and she is requesting that no further contact be made. I appreciate your time sir. Have any questions? You can reach me at *********** My name is officer **** my My badge number is ***. Thank you."

I can't believe people waste LEO's time over something like that.

@Ryan Dossey

Ha! You got to love it. My favorite is when people write you back a letter. They pay for the stamp and all just to tell you they aren't interested. Haven't had the police called on me yet!

Did she send the SWAT team over to Pizza Hut with a cease and desist order too?

@Jerry Puckett

I'm sure you've had this happen before right? 

@Micah Copeland  

I love the threatening letters. I just had one the other day actually.... 

He is waiting.....

@Todd Plambeck  

It's literally sad. I called the cop back and apologized on her behalf for wasting his time. I explained a simple call or text from her automatically puts her on my DNC list. Him doing it for her doesn't change that.

@Ryan Dossey

I had a person call me at 11:15pm the other night.  He was rather upset that I sent them a letter.  He thought it was ridiculous that I would send something like that and wanted me to know it.  But, he did complement me on that fact that it looked personal.  I guess that's a bonus.  

He said that way the letter looked in the envelope it was like I was personally writing them and it was from someone they hadn't seen in a long time.  I guess they were just upset that no one writes them.  

@John Hixon I think some people simply can't comprehend how the world works. It's a solicitation from someone looking to buy a home. If your home isn't for sale or you're not interested no big deal. Call me, Text me, Or even let me waste my money on postage so you can shred them. 

The people who get offended/can't understand why "you would send something like this" blow my mind. 

Originally posted by @Ryan Dossey :

@John Hixon  

The people who get offended/can't understand why "you would send something like this" blow my mind. 

There is no law or rule that says you cannot use the U.S. mail. Can you even imagine a situation where someone could sue Domino's for sending all of those damned coupons? Of course not. They are free to mail however many they wish, and if you don't like it, you throw it away. What if you called them and specifically asked to be removed? Nope, not gonna happen. Is it harassment? No.

But you, you're not mailing to "Resident" or "Current Occupant". You are mailing individuals directly as an individual. So for you, What is the difference between professional persistence and harassment? Being willing to listen to the objection and cease your effort.

If a prospect refuses to identify themselves, you have done all that you can and relieved yourself of responsibility. The prospect may perceive continued attention as harassment, but the reality is that you did indeed hear the objection and attempted to comply, only to be blocked by the prospects own actions (or inactions)

I've had the cops called, the threat of lawsuits, the threat of physical violence. In one instance my letter was posted on the recipients Facebook wall and she encouraged all of her friends to call and harass me. She even asked one if he knew any guidos who could "take care of" me :-) 

Of course when I pointed out that I hadn't done anything illegal and that she had....and I had many screenshots to prove it....she backed down. Quickly. 

I have come to the conclusion that in every single market there exists a group of people who will be angry. And it has nothing to do with what you said or how you said it.....these folks are not mad about what you said, they're mad that you said anything at all. It will happen. Thicken up your skin, take them off the list and say: "NEXT!!"

Originally posted by @John Hixon :

@Ryan Dossey

I had a person call me at 11:15pm the other night.  He was rather upset that I sent them a letter.  He thought it was ridiculous that I would send something like that and wanted me to know it.  But, he did complement me on that fact that it looked personal.  I guess that's a bonus.  

He said that way the letter looked in the envelope it was like I was personally writing them and it was from someone they hadn't seen in a long time.  I guess they were just upset that no one writes them.  

John has tapped into the psyche of the psycho homeowner!  They don't like to be tricked into thinking someone cares!

@Jerry Puckett

She even asked one if he knew any guidos who could "take care of" me :-)

I will protect you, just give me a call and I will gladly come over with my bat.

Originally posted by @Michael Quarles :

@Jerry Puckett

She even asked one if he knew any guidos who could "take care of" me :-)

I will protect you, just give me a call and I will gladly come over with my bat.

Thanks man!! I knew you cared. 

I hear @Michael Quarles has a really nice GET-AWAY CAR if you need to make a run for your life!

Its a shame we never have any fun around here

@Dev Horn I just saw the license plate. I wish I could vote it twice

Originally posted by @John Hixon :

@Ryan Dossey

I actually LOVE this, and cannot believe I never thought of it before!

If I am being sent a personal communication, I can certainly respond with a personal communication!

My next few "I wanna pretend to buy your house" letters are going to be answered with personal phone calls after I finish my nightly workout, around midnight.

I just want to point out how great this is. All you can do is laugh. There are people who are mad for the sake of being mad and these tend to be their avenues of getting it out. Oh well! and the guido part of this forum... priceless. Made my day!

here in Portland we lead the nation, or maybe tied with S.F. , for "the professionally offended" their motivation is simple, it gives them the attention they crave combined with a phoney sense of righteousness - Small people with small lives. The best way to deal with the P.O. is to casually mock and ignore them. Under no circumstances should you apologize , that's enabling behavior which facilitates their continued disfunction.

This is very silly!  I have just started direct mailing and I've never heard of anyone mailing back or calling the cops!  Haha.

People are awesome lol.

@Delles Simon

Man just wait. It gets fun. We call them "telephone tough guys". 

I would say 2nd favorite goes out to the people who won't give you any infromation when they call. No name. No address. No info. Just what's your offer? Well you mailed me you should know. What do you wanna pay? 

Feel free to reach out to me for tips as you run into some of these "yahoos".

@Delles Simon

Man just wait. It gets fun. We call them "telephone tough guys". 

I would say 2nd favorite goes out to the people who won't give you any infromation when they call. No name. No address. No info. Just what's your offer? Well you mailed me you should know. What do you wanna pay? 

Feel free to reach out to me for tips as you run into some of these "yahoos".

What's your offer?  LMAO, they haven't even talked you through the details of their home yet, that's so dry haha! ....  Well you mailed me.

Lol.... I look forward to the yahoos!  They seem to bring interesting stories to BP :)

What about the five BILLION credit card solicitations mailed annually? Here is what I do: rip.all their propaganda in half and mail it back to them in their prepaid postage envelope:) Guess prospects can send back your "we buy houses" solicitations as well. Maybe write "deceased return to  sender" on them as well. 

This post has been removed.

Originally posted by @Ryan D.:

I can't believe people waste LEO's time over something like that.

I can't believe LEO wastes their time responding to something like that. Sending "junk mail" isn't a crime. However, you should bump your mailing lists up against the DO NOT Mail list which is available through the DMA.

Its a shame we never have any fun around here

@Dev Horn I just saw the license plate. I wish I could vote it twice

It's surprising the number of times I've wished I could vote for one of Dev's posts more than once. Spot on!!

Ryan, looks like this thread has inspired a few new "telephone tough guys". Gotta love it when the haters come out. Just can't resist the urge to be snarky I guess. Oh wait....that's what this thread is about isn't it?

Hah, I see your police report, and raise you one visit from the district attorney. 

A couple of months ago we had a phone call and visit from the district attorneys investigator because of our direct mail campaign. Standard mail campaign, just a letter, nothing fancy or out of the ordinary. At a community meeting for seniors an attendee brought up our letter and asked the law enforcement representative if this was some sort of scam to take advantage of the elderly. 

Department policy is that they have to follow up on anything like this that is brought to their attention. So we received a visit from the DA's investigators (two of them!) where we were asked to explain what we do, show business licenses and corporate documents to prove that we're a legitimate business AND a completed contract to demonstrate that we actually  do what we say  we do. 

@Ryan Dossey

well in the 60's when my dad did direct mail  ( they were actually door hangers) and you filled out the card if you wanted more info and poped It back in the mail and it was a prepaid mail card... when someone did like our door hanger they would wrap it in a brick and send it.. back since we had to pay by weight.. but our post office was cool my dad had the same box for 30 years and send out literally probably a million of those things and got back multi thousands of leads... but as  a Kid I thought it was funny.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here