2 Replies

Hello all! I am new here, so please bear with me. My wife and I own one rental home, and our current home, but would like to acquire more homes through "subject to" deals. I understand the basics, I take over the home, make the payments, the home is deeded to me and the loan stays in sellers name. But, I don't know what steps to take from there. If I find a home with a willing seller, who do I need to report this to? Does anyone in the city need to know? Do I get an actual deed? Like I said, I'm a newbie. any advice? I already plan on contacting a lawyer and getting a contract to be ahead of the game if I find a deal, but what do I do after the paper is signed? Any advice would be appreciated.


Originally posted by @Fernando M. :

@Paul Ostler:

I found a great post about this not to long ago something  I been looking into as well. 

123-real-estate-investing-Subject To

 The first part of that is fine, then it gets into pure garbage, never use a power of attorney, never!

Sub-to is a sale, title is transferred to the buyer. Let a title company request a payoff amount from the lender. 

Search the forums as the Sub-To is well covered, in depth, by a very few who actually know what they are talking about. Figure out the difference between a "popular" poster and an "educated" poster. :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here