Showing Disaster

3 Replies

Had my home up on the market for 4 days now. That's all it took to have over $1000 worth of property stolen. In the process now of figuring out which agent's client(because I had two showings today) was the thief. But my question is, who is responsible for that? Even if I find out who the culprit is, how do I pursue them? Do I have to somehow prove that the person who took my property is responsible or is there a process of elimination that they will go by? I'm deeply disturbed by this because this is he 3rd theft I have suffered in 3 years. One per year. Which is why I'm trying to leave so bad. I do have pics taken from my monitoring system but I don't know if that's enough if it doesn't capture then confiscating the item. And what about the agent? If it was their client does that make them in anyway responsible?

Theft happens.  The cost of doing business.

Even if you have video evidence it is pretty hard to get the police to do much about $1,000. 

Hope you get them and maybe your property back?

Originally posted by @Allen Lucas :

Had my home up on the market for 4 days now. That's all it took to have over $1000 worth of property stolen. In the process now of figuring out which agent's client(because I had two showings today) was the thief. But my question is, who is responsible for that? Even if I find out who the culprit is, how do I pursue them? Do I have to somehow prove that the person who took my property is responsible or is there a process of elimination that they will go by? I'm deeply disturbed by this because this is he 3rd theft I have suffered in 3 years. One per year. Which is why I'm trying to leave so bad. I do have pics taken from my monitoring system but I don't know if that's enough if it doesn't capture then confiscating the item. And what about the agent? If it was their client does that make them in anyway responsible?

What was stolen if you don't mind sharing? Was it staging furniture / items? Did you file a police report? Did you notify the agent(s)? This is a first that I've heard of theft at a showing. If its a war zone neighborhood, you might want to be there from here out, even if an agent is involved. Sorry to hear about that.

Kudos,

Mary 

It was my second Xbox One(the first was stolen). That, like 8 games, 2 joysticks, and the kinect. It was tucked away out of plain sight in a closet inside a small suitcase. And no it's not a war zone. But it is a high crime area. I told the agent I really wasn't comfortable placing a sign on the yard. Because things like this are likely to happen and low and behold. And then to top it off its tons of evidence that the person was looking through all my drawers as well. But nothing else appears to be missing. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here