Do you add washer and dryer to your flips?

Do you add washer and dryer to your flips?

Real Estate Agent · Richardson, TX · Member since 2014 · 511 posts · 161 votes

Hi Everyone, 

I was just talking to my contractor a few days ago and I mentioned to him I'm planning on buying the dryer and washer soon.  He said most of the investors he has worked with don't normally add a washer and dryer to their flips. What do you guys think? I'm thinking worst case scenario, I can add a washer and a dryer if a buyer request them

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 386 posts · 218 votes
10y

no.  just the hook ups.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    10y

    In my local market it is standard to have a washer and dryer in a property, except for new constructions. I see some flippers skip this, and their properties inevitably end up sitting unsold.

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 465 posts · 170 votes
    10y

    depends on the market. In mine its common for no washer/dryer or a fridge. 
    For rentals in my market those get included.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 53 posts · 34 votes
    10y

    there's another thread about this in the rehab forum

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Hi Everyone, 

    I was just talking to my contractor a few days ago and I mentioned to him I'm planning on buying the dryer and washer soon.  He said most of the investors he has worked with don't normally add a washer and dryer to their flips. What do you guys think? I'm thinking worst case scenario, I can add a washer and a dryer if a buyer request them

     We've never included a washer/dryer in properties we've flipped in any market.  This includes Chicago.  The only time we've included a washer/dryer is on a multifamily flip where the washer/dryer are in a common area for the tenants.

    With that said however I'd get the sold comparables for the last 6 months, along w/ the current active/pending properties you're competing against.  If you see a pattern of remarks mentioning a washer/dryer as part of the deal then you'll need to add one to compete.  If there's no pattern then you'll have to decide whether to exclude it to save some $, or include it to have a discriminator against the competition.  

  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Having appliances in a property when it is sold or rented is based on local practices. You will have to research your local area to figure out what is standard.

    In all of the states that I have experience in (Illinois is not one of them) putting a washer and dryer in a property is a waste of money. Most people have there own washer and dryer and they wind up getting rid of the set you have in there. This can also be true for refrigerators, but only 2 states that I have done business in.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 386 posts · 218 votes
    10y

    no.  just the hook ups.

  • Flipper / Rehabber / Real Estate Investor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 392 posts · 77 votes
    10y

    No, but it's a good "throw in" that you can use in negotiations

  • Contractor · Romeoville, IL · Member since 2015 · 198 posts · 137 votes
    10y

    Typically we just make sure the grey box is install properly but I personally have not had them installed or requested to be doing bank work or flips.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.