Do you add washer and dryer to your flips?

8 Replies

Hi Everyone, 

I was just talking to my contractor a few days ago and I mentioned to him I'm planning on buying the dryer and washer soon.  He said most of the investors he has worked with don't normally add a washer and dryer to their flips. What do you guys think? I'm thinking worst case scenario, I can add a washer and a dryer if a buyer request them

In my local market it is standard to have a washer and dryer in a property, except for new constructions. I see some flippers skip this, and their properties inevitably end up sitting unsold.

Originally posted by Account Closed:

Hi Everyone, 

I was just talking to my contractor a few days ago and I mentioned to him I'm planning on buying the dryer and washer soon.  He said most of the investors he has worked with don't normally add a washer and dryer to their flips. What do you guys think? I'm thinking worst case scenario, I can add a washer and a dryer if a buyer request them

We've never included a washer/dryer in properties we've flipped in any market.  This includes Chicago.  The only time we've included a washer/dryer is on a multifamily flip where the washer/dryer are in a common area for the tenants.

With that said however I'd get the sold comparables for the last 6 months, along w/ the current active/pending properties you're competing against.  If you see a pattern of remarks mentioning a washer/dryer as part of the deal then you'll need to add one to compete.  If there's no pattern then you'll have to decide whether to exclude it to save some $, or include it to have a discriminator against the competition.  

Having appliances in a property when it is sold or rented is based on local practices. You will have to research your local area to figure out what is standard.

In all of the states that I have experience in (Illinois is not one of them) putting a washer and dryer in a property is a waste of money. Most people have there own washer and dryer and they wind up getting rid of the set you have in there. This can also be true for refrigerators, but only 2 states that I have done business in.

No, but it's a good "throw in" that you can use in negotiations