Good markets for inexpensive properties with good cash flow?

Good markets for inexpensive properties with good cash flow?

Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

I was able to get three cash flow positive properties with solid CoC returns during the downturn, and part of the way up, but in the greater Seattle area it is getting harder and harder. Prices are too high relative to rents. Now that the market has recovered, it's damn near impossible to find workable deals in SFH.

So I started looking at Turnkey companies, I looked at Clearwater/Tampa/Jacksonville Florida area and it seems that the 50-75K properties with good cash flow in those areas are in the ghetto.

So given that I'm not interested in paying 20% over market value for a shoddily remodeled turnkey property, where they make money off me again for property management, and buying in the Tampa area and setting up my own team is looking like a crap shoot, where do I buy and set up my own team?

Ohio? Indiana? Nevada? Or just buy a multi family in NC paid in full, and let the PM live there for free, doing all the maintenance as well?

2Reply
129 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · New Albany, IN · Member since 2017 · 99 posts · 42 votes
8y
Check out South Central Indiana. We are right across from Louisville,KY. Just sold a duplex for $56k in New Albany,IN. Each unit brings in $900/mo. 3/1 in each unit.
See this reply in the discussion

45 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Redwood City, CA · Member since 2014 · 83 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    Here's an article that was published in HousingWire on Nov. 10th on the top 10 investment markets based on yield.

    http://www.housingwire.com/articles/35574

    Hope that's helpful.

    -S

  • Alex CraigBusiness Member
    Real Estate Professional · Memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I think the 50 to 75k home for the most part (not always), will be in those types of low income areas that is best owned by local investors.  There is no doubt money can be made in that space, but for an out of state investors, it is a tad more risky and the PM has to be specialized in this field and ready for the day to day adventures that comes in this space.

    Maybe it would be best to look at "A" class deals that tend to be more passive and set up self management.

  • Property Manager · Griffith, IN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 913 votes
    10y

    NW Indiana is a gold mine for homes in the $50-75k range with rents $800-1200. This translates into 12-15% ROI and the considers PM costs, vacancy, and maintenance. Low taxes, short commute to Chicago, and landlord friendly state- can't beat that!

  • Curt DavisBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Adrien C. Are those homes renting for $1,200 for $75k, are those duplex's where each side rents for $600?  Hard to imagine those being single family especially coming from a TK provider.  If that is the case then that's great. 

    Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
  • Property Manager · Griffith, IN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 913 votes
    10y

    They are SFHs- go to craigslist and check out hammond or merrillville Indiana and check out the rents. Those house are mostly under 100K or even less in Hammond  

  • Investor · Merrillville, IN · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    I have rentals in Merrillville Indiana and hobart Indiana I buy them for about 65 to 80k rent ready and I rent them anywhere from 1000 to 1300 depending on size 

  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    10y

    @Jack B. As important as it is to identify a good market, it is even more important to identify a really good and trust worthy on the ground team, whether that is in the form of a team you put together, or one that already comes whole, such as turnkey company.  For cash flow, I have to agree with the others who have stated Lake County Indiana as prime area, which is part of the Chicago suburbs, but with the landlord friendly and tax advantages of Indiana (over Illinois and especially Chicago).  You may not see much or any appreciation, but for buy and hold cash flow, low crime areas with low vacancies, I don't know of anything that can beat the area for out of state investors right now. 

  • Dyer, IN · Member since 2013 · 79 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    tons of houses in the south suburbs of Chicago and NWI that's under 50k and will rent for $700-$1400. 

    Single family houses in places like dolton, calumet city, Harvey that you can buy for about 30-40k and rent for $1200 

  • Mobile Home Park Investor / Licensed Indiana Real Estate Broker · Chicago Area, IL · Member since 2015 · 262 posts · 135 votes
    10y

    I have seen the numbers previously mentioned in the South Chicago and NWI areas.  They definitely exist.  However, in the interest of full disclosure, the use of the term "low crime" is definitely not applicable here.  Perhaps low relative to some war zones nearby but certainly not low in general.  There are some great truly low crime areas in NWI and South Chicago but you will not see these numbers there on a regular basis.  NWI is a great place to invest.  Just do your research and realize that there is no fantasy land here or anywhere else.  You trade appreciation for cash flow and quality of tenants here like anywhere else.

  • Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 8 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Edward Adekanbi:

    tons of houses in the south suburbs of Chicago and NWI that's under 50k and will rent for $700-$1400. 

    Single family houses in places like dolton, calumet city, Harvey that you can buy for about 30-40k and rent for $1200 

     Those #'s are amazing.  Cap rates in the 15-20% range from the sound of it.  

  • Mark AinleyBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Roselle, IL (Chicago Suburb) · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Jack B.There is opportunity in solid areas in Chicago proper but also opportunity in the surround suburbs of Cook and DuPage County. The one bad thing about burbs is taxes and most of these villages now have rental codes, licensing fees, and inspections that eat into cash flow. 

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2014 · 171 posts · 116 votes
    10y

    You cannot beat the Fort Wayne, Indiana market for low prices with relatively high rents. I recently helped show a package of 60 SFH, 90% rented, average price $25k... Even if you are shopping for them one by one $25,000 should get you a turn key opportunity with monthly rents between $450-$600. Fort Wayne also has several sizeable property management companies.

  • Professional · Glenview, IL · Member since 2015 · 114 posts · 65 votes
    10y

    Jack ... As mark mentioned chicago suburbs have great cash flow, low crime index (not the hood), appreciation potential, and reasonably priced. I sell 4 bed 2 bath 2 car garage homes fully rehabbed for $150k that get $1,900 per month in rent government guaranteed. The cities are country club hills, Hazel crest, and south holland Illinois. Cap rates are 9%. Take a look as benchmark to other markets to see what is offered.

  • Sterling WhitePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 554 posts · 153 votes
    10y

    @Jack B. these are things I recommend looking for in a market for investing purposes

    The following:

    1) Landlord/business friendly

    2) Job Growth

    3) Population Growth

    4) Steady appreciation in property values

    5) Affordability(personal preference)

    6) Macroeconomics

    I invest in Indy due to the above criteria. However there are other markets that fit the above as well that offer great returns in cash flow.

    @Edward Adekanbi 30-40k renting for $1200 is that the all-in price with purchase price and also renovations? Sounds like some CAP's

  • Investor · South Barrington, IL · Member since 2011 · 102 posts · 57 votes
    10y

    I personally like Cleveland,OH. In particular the "west side".

    I find great properties to rent to section 8 tenants. We manage the tenants ourselves with NO property management company thereby saving the monthly 10% gross profit margin that is otherwise lost and more importantly saving on phantom repairs.

    You can still buy rental duplexes for a good price in Cleveland, fix them up and get good rents with section 8 tenants. The key thing with section 8 tenants is to treat the tenants like human beings, take care of your property, and charge tenants for damages when they get out of line. 

    I have seen other postings about Detroit, Memphis, and Indianapolis and you may want to research those also for cashflow.

    As always, do your research. :)

  • Real Estate Consultant · Brookfield, WI · Member since 2014 · 873 posts · 350 votes
    10y

    I hear many out of State investors like Milwaukee, WI. 

  • Dyer, IN · Member since 2013 · 79 posts · 4 votes
    10y

     that's purchase, closing and renovations or turnkey. 

    @Sterling White

  • Curt DavisBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    If a person is on section 8 they are on it for a reason, expecting them to actually pay for damages is a long shot and they would more then likely move out in the middle of the night then pay for anything.  

    Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Adrien Chabot

    Sounds like Indiana is a place I should refocus. I initially avoided it due to state income taxes. I was looking at places with no state income taxes so I could eventually retire there and manage them myself (like I do where I live now). Hence why I was looking at Florida, but apparently rentals in the price range I'm looking for are in absolute ghettos.

  • Investor · Terre Haute, IN · Member since 2013 · 46 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    I am born and raised in west central Indiana. It is a great place to invest buy and hold or whatever you prefer. The right person on the ground is key. 

  • Wholesaler · Jeffersonville, IN · Member since 2012 · 40 posts · 5 votes
    10y
    Southern Indiana has homes for $50K - $75K as well. You can rent out for $800 - $1200 a month. I just got one under contract and flipping to landlord investors.
  • Investor · Terre Haute, IN · Member since 2013 · 46 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    Indiana is a great place to invest , we are in Terre Haute Indiana, born and raised here. Someone earlier said having good people on the ground is key, and I agree completely. We have 53 units that we manage ourselves . Great cash flow, we started in 2002. Would be happy to help out of state investors get started in our area. Jim 

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 43 votes
    10y

    @Sterling White What area in Indianapolis would you consider class B and class C.  I would like to flip in my market but due to high costs and limited inventory,  I am in the process of researching the Indy market for cash flow opportunities that will allow me to rapidly acquire/expand holdings.  

    I am trying to decide if I want to focus on class B turn-key with higher rental rates that are passive investment properties or look for properties with opportunity for forced equity in class b & c areas that will require more on the ground support and oversight for an out-of-state investor.  While the prices seem great I am having a difficult time getting comps so what looks good in comparison to my market may not actually be good in Indy.

    How would you classify the following areas (still researching which hundred blocks to focus on):

    Fountain Square: Laurel St, Spruce St, Woodlawn Ave, Lexington Ave, Pleasant St, Linden, Prospect, Orange, in FS but near it Reid Pl, S State St

    Bates-Hendricks: (400-600 block) Wright St, Terrace St, Cottage Ave, S East St, 1400 block S New Jersey

    Broad Ripple Village: (East 60th St to 67th) Burlington Ave, Evanston Ave, Crittenden Ave, Norwood Ave, Kingsley Dr, Ralston Ave, Primrose Ave, Rosslyn Ave, Indianola Ave, Haverford Ave

    Butler-Tarkington: Still researching

    Median-Kessler: Still researching

    I am not opposed to low income cash flow properties in certain areas in 46218 Center NE.  

    Wow that was a lot, I appreciate any recommendations you or others may have.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Jack B.  well consider living there.. many areas are not Puget sound.. and for that matter warm florida... its very cold in those places in the winter... :)

    But for rentals I have been doing some things in Hammond area.. I am not buy and hold but do business with those that do and I have seen the 75 to 90k homes that rent for 900 to 1000.. or a tad more... and they are not inner city type stuff for sure.

  • Curt DavisBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    This has been a fascination post.  Everyone who suggest a market oddly suggests their own market!!!  If you are an out of state investor and you buy homes say under $50,000 or less, you are going to have an overall bad experience.  

    Someone mentioned buying homes already TK for $25k that rent for $450, those sound absolutely awful unless your local to that market.  

    You can get homes for $55k-$60k that rent for $750 and then you can get homes for $90k that rent for $950. Though the ROI is lower on the more expensive home and the cheaper one looks better on paper, the $90k home will out perform all day long over a 5yr period. Less turnover, better area, better tenant, better home,etc.....

    Sorry my bedside manor is blunt, I just call them as I know them.

    Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.