80/20, 80/10/10 Piggyback Loans

3 Replies

I'm hearing piggyback loans (80/20 and 80/10/10) have come back from some lenders.  Does this apply to commercial as well?  Also does anyone know of lenders willing to do either for residential properties?

My husband and I got our mortgage from Wells Fargo two years ago and almost went with an 80/20 loan.  Most lenders will consider them, but the catch is that many won't do the second mortgage themselves.  SF was outsourcing the 20% loan piece through other smaller lenders rather than holding it themselves (but they were handling the underwriting altogether so we didn't have to juggle 2 loan apps). 

Might call around to some banks just to ask; sometimes even if the mortgage person at XYZ bank can't do it, s/he will know who can.  They often stay up to speed on the competition.  

I'm a lender and don't personally know of any other banks or companies that do this currently.  I have also never heard of a lender doing 100% financing on commercial or rental property loans though.  Doesn't mean it doesn't happen of course! 

Originally posted by @Aundre Oldacre :

I'm hearing piggyback loans (80/20 and 80/10/10) have come back from some lenders.  Does this apply to commercial as well?  Also does anyone know of lenders willing to do either for residential properties?

Yes, you can get them for investment properties. You need to find a small bank. Currently doing business with a small bank that gave us that option. They do not advertise it but yes, it can be done for investments.