condemned property

7 Replies

Hi BP, I have questions about buying a condemned property and need some advise. How much is too much to pay for one? The owner lives in California and didn't realize the property manager let it go. I have a team who will tear down and rebuild on the property. The property is in a fairly nice neighborhood no squatters and its only been condemned for 2 or 3 months. No liens against it. I have read that condemned properties usually sell for as low as 3k to 5k. 

as little as possible.

what does the seller want for it?

He asked me for a price and I offered 20k. Haven't heard back from him yet.

You need a mentor. Find a local REI club and attend a few meetings. Define goals and network. Good luck.

I am a member of REIN in Nashville. Got advise from someone last night about my price. Is there anything helpful you could add.

You could take out the only toilet in a house and code enforcement would then condemn the property for being unlivable. A new toilet is $ 100

So, it being condemned doesn't mean a whole lot. Look at it like any other rehab and see what needs to be done and make your offer based on that. 

Next time get the seller to throw out a number first. You need to see mentally where their head is at. 

If they are in la,la land and wanting someone to pay a crazy price then time and life circumstances has to nudge them along to reality to where they will either sell or will lose the property to foreclosure or something else.

One time a developer told me of a lady with his offer she said to (go to h%ll!). 1 year later she came back to him and he bought for 20k less in price than his original offer because construction materials and labor had gone up.

Sometimes sellers get in their own way.   

What are the chances that this is one of those turn-key properties that a buyer in California bought, thinking that they bought a great deal, with tenant and property manager?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here