Votes
Elizabeth Nenque
  • Bellevue, WA
Votes |
Advice needed: sellers want to stay past closing

Elizabeth Nenque
  • Bellevue, WA
Posted Dec 30 2016, 01:01
My husband and I have been house hunting and are about to submit an offer on a house in Bothell.
The sellers would like to stay past closing and rent until they find a house. Our agent says this is common. BUT we received advice from another RE agent that we shouldn't allow this, because of the liability.
Our agent had suggested that the sellers need the proceeds to begin their house hunting (they want a bigger house), but a closing contingency makes them less competitive in this market. 
Tomorrow at 1 pm, (Friday Dec 30) we will meet with our agents for a strategy meeting. They say that sellers request to stay past closing is common. But that doesn't make me feel assured.
Additionally, they need to repair the roof before we close. A previous set of buyers backed out of closing when the sellers could not repair the roof on their own.  They were willing to use the proceeds of the sake to repair the roof. 
However, their agent says that now they have a roofer that will do the work and will wait to get paid on closing with the funds from the sale. So this may not be a concern.
What advice would you offer us? What should we bring up with our agent in our strategy meeting? Should we offer lesson the sale price AND charge for rent?  what would you cosnider in the contract?
Other considerations: This is a sellers market. Once the holidays are officially over more buyers may come into the market.  The area and home are desiresble, but the sellers request, I think have kept the house on the market limber than normal.  The house had been on the market for almost 1 month.
Sorry for repeat posts: the app doesn't confirm whether the her 

Loading replies...