What to do when an appraisal comes back low when selling!!??

What to do when an appraisal comes back low when selling!!??

Dan BeaulieuPro Member
Lender · Knoxville, Tennessee (TN) · Member since 2016 · 422 posts · 667 votes

Hi everybody and thanks in advance for answering my question! I have 24 hours to respond to the buyers so I hope somebody will provide me with some direction. I recently listed a rehabbed property for sale at 539,000. I had multiple offers ranging from 545,000 to 550,000 in the first 24 hours! I locked up an offer for 545,000 that could close in 3 weeks, and put two offers for 550,000 in backup position. The inspection went well, but the appraisal came back at only 515,000!!! The property is really unique and is hard to put a solid value on... but we went to the appraiser and said hey, here are multiple offers for 550,000 so that's what the market says the property is worth! Well, that didn't work very well obviously. So the buyers said they will come up with a cash difference but only up to 534,000 purchase price. There is 12 days until closing now. 

Do I say no way Jose and go with the backup offers, essentially starting a 30 day closing clock over, and risk the inspection not going as well and possibly another low appraisal? Or do I just take the very small profit at 534,000 and try not to be greedy? To wait an other month for an extra 15g when I have a guaranteed pay day in 12 days... (oh, and my holding costs are astronomical at 3,600 per month!)

1Reply
191 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
9y
Originally posted by @Brian Garrett:
Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

Sounds like your agent dropped the ball here by either not knowing how to work with the appraiser or not understanding the comps. Or if you were selling it fsbo, this illustrates the most important job the listing agent has on a flip, getting the property to appraise.

Assuming ones due diligence was spot on in terms of comps and listing price, how would one do better at "getting the property to appraise" if that is out of their control? Thanks Russell.

 Its largely out of the control of an individual seller.....but not out of control of an agent.  If the appraiser that is assigned is known to be difficult, the agent should get a new appraiser assigned first off.  Then the agent should be supplying comps to the appraiser to justify the price and should be able to communicate with the appraiser the value of certain items, and understand what items add value or take away value on an appraisal as opposed to in the market. This means the agent should know that a bathroom adds $X in value in a certain neighborhood or a garage adds $Y in value in a different neighborhood. They should be able to communicate the difference in the condition scale as well as the quality of construction scale.

Those are a few thoughts off the top of my head. Working with the appraiser is a skill, but not one everyone has. If someone has sold many houses its hopefully a skill they have honed over the years, and when thats happened you wont have problem getting a house to appraise.

See this reply in the discussion

51 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mortgage Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 657 posts · 275 votes
    9y

    Hello @Dan Beaulieu

    Ahhh the good 'ol appraisal dilemma. To put it frankly I would go ahead and accept the offer of 534,000 because there are not many times that a buyer will up the cash difference knowing that the home is not "worth" that. To my knowledge as the seller there is not much you can do on the appraisal side unless the buyer talks to the lender about requesting another one. But this request would probably be denied unless there was good proof that is was done incorrectly or used bad comps.

    At this point I am not even sure contractually you are allowed to go with a backup offer as there are no grounds to not accepting the sellers offer. Unless it would be due to it not being the 545k they offered initially, but being based contingent on appraisal I don't think that applies anymore. Normally you would be the one to drop the price to the 515k so for them to still want to pay a difference they must really love the home.

    I say let 'em have it if it's a win-win on both sides. I wouldn't call it greedy for wanting what you put into it, but they say don't bite the hand that feeds you.

    Best of Luck,

    Nick

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    9y

    Sounds like your agent dropped the ball here by either not knowing how to work with the appraiser or not understanding the comps. Or if you were selling it fsbo, this illustrates the most important job the listing agent has on a flip, getting the property to appraise.

  • Investor · IN · Member since 2012 · 263 posts · 168 votes
    9y

    @Dan Beaulieu- Are any of the backup offers all cash? If so, you got your answer. Most people buy on emotion and would be willing to pay more due to that emotional attachment. I personally would take my chances with the backup offers especially of the offers came in just after listing it, 

  • Dan BeaulieuPro Member
    OP
    Lender · Knoxville, Tennessee (TN) · Member since 2016 · 422 posts · 667 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    Sounds like your agent dropped the ball here by either not knowing how to work with the appraiser or not understanding the comps. Or if you were selling it fsbo, this illustrates the most important job the listing agent has on a flip, getting the property to appraise.

     Thank you for responding Russell! My agent most likely dropped the ball. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    Sounds like your agent dropped the ball here by either not knowing how to work with the appraiser or not understanding the comps. Or if you were selling it fsbo, this illustrates the most important job the listing agent has on a flip, getting the property to appraise.

    Assuming ones due diligence was spot on in terms of comps and listing price, how would one do better at "getting the property to appraise" if that is out of their control? Thanks Russell.

  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Dan Beaulieu:
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    Sounds like your agent dropped the ball here by either not knowing how to work with the appraiser or not understanding the comps. Or if you were selling it fsbo, this illustrates the most important job the listing agent has on a flip, getting the property to appraise.

     Thank you for responding Russell! My agent most likely dropped the ball. 

     Let us know how it works out Daniel. Thanks and best of luck!

  • Dan BeaulieuPro Member
    OP
    Lender · Knoxville, Tennessee (TN) · Member since 2016 · 422 posts · 667 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jim C.:

    @Dan Beaulieu- Are any of the backup offers all cash? If so, you got your answer. Most people buy on emotion and would be willing to pay more due to that emotional attachment. I personally would take my chances with the backup offers especially of the offers came in just after listing it, 

     I was hoping for cash just for this very reason! The property is really tricky because it's the only mid century modern that's been renovated in a huge area, and the other properties in the neighborhood are about 3 times the size. I took a huge risk by flipping this property just because of the lack of good comps, but knew it would sell fast because it was beautiful and unique. If I go with a backup offer now at 550, I will probably just have their appraiser use the same comps and appraise it at 515 again and risk blowing up the next sale too! If I was loaded and / or doing multiple properties at once, I would 100% hold out for more money. 

    I think I'll have to just walk away from the table while I'm up. 

  • Dan BeaulieuPro Member
    OP
    Lender · Knoxville, Tennessee (TN) · Member since 2016 · 422 posts · 667 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Brian Garrett:
    Originally posted by @Dan Beaulieu:
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    Sounds like your agent dropped the ball here by either not knowing how to work with the appraiser or not understanding the comps. Or if you were selling it fsbo, this illustrates the most important job the listing agent has on a flip, getting the property to appraise.

     Thank you for responding Russell! My agent most likely dropped the ball. 

     Let us know how it works out Daniel. Thanks and best of luck!

     I think I'll just go with the 534,000 and call it a day and be happy with my profits (since I was originally thinking to list it at 529,000 anyways.) Thank you guys so much for responding! 

  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Dan Beaulieu:
    Originally posted by @Brian Garrett:
    Originally posted by @Dan Beaulieu:
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    Sounds like your agent dropped the ball here by either not knowing how to work with the appraiser or not understanding the comps. Or if you were selling it fsbo, this illustrates the most important job the listing agent has on a flip, getting the property to appraise.

     Thank you for responding Russell! My agent most likely dropped the ball. 

     Let us know how it works out Daniel. Thanks and best of luck!

     I think I'll just go with the 534,000 and call it a day and be happy with my profits (since I was originally thinking to list it at 529,000 anyways.) Thank you guys so much for responding! 

    If the numbers still work out in your favor and you're still happy with the profits at $534k then I would take it and move onto the next property. That's just my two cents! 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Brian Garrett:
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    Sounds like your agent dropped the ball here by either not knowing how to work with the appraiser or not understanding the comps. Or if you were selling it fsbo, this illustrates the most important job the listing agent has on a flip, getting the property to appraise.

    Assuming ones due diligence was spot on in terms of comps and listing price, how would one do better at "getting the property to appraise" if that is out of their control? Thanks Russell.

     Its largely out of the control of an individual seller.....but not out of control of an agent.  If the appraiser that is assigned is known to be difficult, the agent should get a new appraiser assigned first off.  Then the agent should be supplying comps to the appraiser to justify the price and should be able to communicate with the appraiser the value of certain items, and understand what items add value or take away value on an appraisal as opposed to in the market. This means the agent should know that a bathroom adds $X in value in a certain neighborhood or a garage adds $Y in value in a different neighborhood. They should be able to communicate the difference in the condition scale as well as the quality of construction scale.

    Those are a few thoughts off the top of my head. Working with the appraiser is a skill, but not one everyone has. If someone has sold many houses its hopefully a skill they have honed over the years, and when thats happened you wont have problem getting a house to appraise.

  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:
    Originally posted by @Brian Garrett:
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    Sounds like your agent dropped the ball here by either not knowing how to work with the appraiser or not understanding the comps. Or if you were selling it fsbo, this illustrates the most important job the listing agent has on a flip, getting the property to appraise.

    Assuming ones due diligence was spot on in terms of comps and listing price, how would one do better at "getting the property to appraise" if that is out of their control? Thanks Russell.

     Its largely out of the control of an individual seller.....but not out of control of an agent.  If the appraiser that is assigned is known to be difficult, the agent should get a new appraiser assigned first off.  Then the agent should be supplying comps to the appraiser to justify the price and should be able to communicate with the appraiser the value of certain items, and understand what items add value or take away value on an appraisal as opposed to in the market. This means the agent should know that a bathroom adds $X in value in a certain neighborhood or a garage adds $Y in value in a different neighborhood. They should be able to communicate the difference in the condition scale as well as the quality of construction scale.

    Those are a few thoughts off the top of my head. Working with the appraiser is a skill, but not one everyone has. If someone has sold many houses its hopefully a skill they have honed over the years, and when thats happened you wont have problem getting a house to appraise.

    What happens in the event where there is no listing agent involved and a person is selling the house on their own? For example maybe the seller wants to save on commissions and knows their market/neighborhood values well. They would have to convey this to the appraiser themselves?

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Brian Garrett:
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:
    Originally posted by @Brian Garrett:
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    Sounds like your agent dropped the ball here by either not knowing how to work with the appraiser or not understanding the comps. Or if you were selling it fsbo, this illustrates the most important job the listing agent has on a flip, getting the property to appraise.

    Assuming ones due diligence was spot on in terms of comps and listing price, how would one do better at "getting the property to appraise" if that is out of their control? Thanks Russell.

     Its largely out of the control of an individual seller.....but not out of control of an agent.  If the appraiser that is assigned is known to be difficult, the agent should get a new appraiser assigned first off.  Then the agent should be supplying comps to the appraiser to justify the price and should be able to communicate with the appraiser the value of certain items, and understand what items add value or take away value on an appraisal as opposed to in the market. This means the agent should know that a bathroom adds $X in value in a certain neighborhood or a garage adds $Y in value in a different neighborhood. They should be able to communicate the difference in the condition scale as well as the quality of construction scale.

    Those are a few thoughts off the top of my head. Working with the appraiser is a skill, but not one everyone has. If someone has sold many houses its hopefully a skill they have honed over the years, and when thats happened you wont have problem getting a house to appraise.

    What happens in the event where there is no listing agent involved and a person is selling the house on their own? For example maybe the seller wants to save on commissions and knows their market/neighborhood values well. They would have to convey this to the appraiser themselves?

     It is unlikely an individual seller will be able to do what the agent is able to do for several reasons. First the appraiser knows that they are going to run into the agent over and over again...so their business depends on making nice with the agent or they will keep getting the appraiser reassigned off their properties. The other is that agents have done this dozens and hundreds of times...and have likely taken appraisal classes or classes and training on how to work with the appraiser. The seller simply doesnt speak the language of the appraiser,

    This is one of the main reasons that FSBO sales fall through. So save on the commission...maybe, but that is often offset by even a larger amount in the lower appraisal price that you will be lowering the sales price to. And keep in mind that an FHA appraisal is going to attach to that house for 6 months.

    On the buy side I actually like purchasing a FSBO for a client because I know they are going to get a killer deal after the price is adjusted after the appraisal, as well as being able to negotiate absurd seller subsidies or repairs after an inspection since the seller doesnt know what is customary in the market.

  • Dan BeaulieuPro Member
    OP
    Lender · Knoxville, Tennessee (TN) · Member since 2016 · 422 posts · 667 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Nicholas Covington:

    Hello @Dan Beaulieu

    Ahhh the good 'ol appraisal dilemma. To put it frankly I would go ahead and accept the offer of 534,000 because there are not many times that a buyer will up the cash difference knowing that the home is not "worth" that. To my knowledge as the seller there is not much you can do on the appraisal side unless the buyer talks to the lender about requesting another one. But this request would probably be denied unless there was good proof that is was done incorrectly or used bad comps.

    At this point I am not even sure contractually you are allowed to go with a backup offer as there are no grounds to not accepting the sellers offer. Unless it would be due to it not being the 545k they offered initially, but being based contingent on appraisal I don't think that applies anymore. Normally you would be the one to drop the price to the 515k so for them to still want to pay a difference they must really love the home.

    I say let 'em have it if it's a win-win on both sides. I wouldn't call it greedy for wanting what you put into it, but they say don't bite the hand that feeds you.

    Best of Luck,

    Nick

     Nick, 

    That's great advice thank you so much!  You're right in that it's kinda crazy for them to be so in love with the property that they are emotional enough to overpay by that much more in cash. I'll just go with the sure thing. 

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I had similar situation, House appraised by a VA appraiser done for buyer at 434, I had contract for 448, I had option of doing and paying for my own appraisal, cancelling the sale, or trying to figure out if buyer could come up with the extra cash.. I was told I would have to disclose to any other buyer what the appraisal price came in at if I cancelled the sale if I sold FHA to any other buyer,,

    I was frustrated,, I worked with the buyer lowered the price to 438 and if I ever sell something again I will have my own appraiser come out appraise the property and get a good idea of listing price, even with comps my agent said were within the scope that we could contest the first appraisal, the time we were off market and contingent was eating up more profit and to relist I was taking chance that I had missed some of the best days of the summer putting off a closing from July to maybe Aug to Sept and that was chancing at same or higher price offer..

    That agent made 27 K from the sale and I had a hard time forking over that after all that had happened.

  • Johnson City, TN · Member since 2014 · 586 posts · 705 votes
    9y

    I thought the appraiser worked for the lender, not the realtor? I would think that a realtor that knew property values better than an appraiser, who does two a day, is a rare commodity 

  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:
    Originally posted by @Brian Garrett:
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:
    Originally posted by @Brian Garrett:
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    Sounds like your agent dropped the ball here by either not knowing how to work with the appraiser or not understanding the comps. Or if you were selling it fsbo, this illustrates the most important job the listing agent has on a flip, getting the property to appraise.

    Assuming ones due diligence was spot on in terms of comps and listing price, how would one do better at "getting the property to appraise" if that is out of their control? Thanks Russell.

     Its largely out of the control of an individual seller.....but not out of control of an agent.  If the appraiser that is assigned is known to be difficult, the agent should get a new appraiser assigned first off.  Then the agent should be supplying comps to the appraiser to justify the price and should be able to communicate with the appraiser the value of certain items, and understand what items add value or take away value on an appraisal as opposed to in the market. This means the agent should know that a bathroom adds $X in value in a certain neighborhood or a garage adds $Y in value in a different neighborhood. They should be able to communicate the difference in the condition scale as well as the quality of construction scale.

    Those are a few thoughts off the top of my head. Working with the appraiser is a skill, but not one everyone has. If someone has sold many houses its hopefully a skill they have honed over the years, and when thats happened you wont have problem getting a house to appraise.

    What happens in the event where there is no listing agent involved and a person is selling the house on their own? For example maybe the seller wants to save on commissions and knows their market/neighborhood values well. They would have to convey this to the appraiser themselves?

     It is unlikely an individual seller will be able to do what the agent is able to do for several reasons. First the appraiser knows that they are going to run into the agent over and over again...so their business depends on making nice with the agent or they will keep getting the appraiser reassigned off their properties. The other is that agents have done this dozens and hundreds of times...and have likely taken appraisal classes or classes and training on how to work with the appraiser. The seller simply doesnt speak the language of the appraiser,

    This is one of the main reasons that FSBO sales fall through. So save on the commission...maybe, but that is often offset by even a larger amount in the lower appraisal price that you will be lowering the sales price to. And keep in mind that an FHA appraisal is going to attach to that house for 6 months.

    On the buy side I actually like purchasing a FSBO for a client because I know they are going to get a killer deal after the price is adjusted after the appraisal, as well as being able to negotiate absurd seller subsidies or repairs after an inspection since the seller doesnt know what is customary in the market.

     Good information here Russell thanks for sharing. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Deanna McCormick:

    I had similar situation, House appraised by a VA appraiser done for buyer at 434, I had contract for 448, I had option of doing and paying for my own appraisal, cancelling the sale, or trying to figure out if buyer could come up with the extra cash.. I was told I would have to disclose to any other buyer what the appraisal price came in at if I cancelled the sale if I sold FHA to any other buyer,,

    I was frustrated,, I worked with the buyer lowered the price to 438 and if I ever sell something again I will have my own appraiser come out appraise the property and get a good idea of listing price, even with comps my agent said were within the scope that we could contest the first appraisal, the time we were off market and contingent was eating up more profit and to relist I was taking chance that I had missed some of the best days of the summer putting off a closing from July to maybe Aug to Sept and that was chancing at same or higher price offer..

    That agent made 27 K from the sale and I had a hard time forking over that after all that had happened.

    So in this case the agent didn't provide much value and it sounds like you could have negotiated the same deal yourself ultimately saving the $27k you paid out in commission. Correct?

  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    I thought the appraiser worked for the lender, not the realtor? I would think that a realtor that knew property values better than an appraiser, who does two a day, is a rare commodity 

     That was my understanding as well. That's where I'm a bit confused.

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Brian Garrett

    Yes my agent was over compensated in my opinion she should have had done better comp work on listing price or counseled me on having appraised first before setting a listing price.. If I had done a appraisal myself for about 350.00 I would not have had to disclose that to any buyer, the property would have been probably listed at a more correct listing rate, and I would have had multiple offers to chose from. I had only been on market for 10 days before accepting the offer I got and I felt undercut by the deal but I needed to sell and going back on market 20 days after their stupid appraiser finally submitted his numbers I wasn't in a prime position as when I had first listed to start over again and put it back on the market. 

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2015 · 252 posts · 263 votes
    9y

    @Dan Beaulieu

    1. I'd take a reduced price, but you have a couple of option

    2. You can request / offer to pay for another appraisal. You stand to loose a few hundred dollars but may gain more.

    3. Carefully look at existing appraisal. I had appraisers miss 500 finished square feet before, ignore 10s of thousands of dollars worth of updates and what not. I almost always provide them with my own comps. I think appraisals are too important to be left to chance, I always walk through the house with the appraiser, comps in hand, list of improvements / cost typed, pointing out everything.

    4. Consider sending appraiser an e-mail listing what he missed, state a reasons why you think appraisal could / should be higher

    Good luck

  • Investor/Realtor · Hoover, AL · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 459 votes
    9y

    @Dan Beaulieu..."A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"...Keep it Moving...GL

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    9y

    @Dan Beaulieu you could move on to the next offer, but what if the same appraiser is called on to the job or what if another appraiser comes to the same or lower value? 

    Keep in mind that appraisals are a backward-looking view of home values. They are comparing to what something sold for last week, last month or even last year in some cases. In a market where values are appreciating quickly, appraisals can be a challenge.

    Arguing with an appraiser is useless. They think they know it all and their job is to be conservative. Logic would tell you if three people think it is worth more, that it is, but appraisers care more about protecting themselves from liability, which means finding conservative comps.

    Take the offer and run.

  • Investor · Columbus, MT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Dan Beaulieu

    I have heard of several people in this situation that were a 15k short on the appraisal and ended up just doing an owner financed loan to the buyers.  They just asked the buyers to make monthly payments to them.  If you are going to take 534k anyways, why not at least try to set something up with them? 

    This might not work depending on the type of loan they are getting and yyou might not be able to secure the loan to the property but even if they pay half of the note, at least you are getting paid something for that hunk of money.  

    @Russell Brazil  I am curious what you think of this? 

  • Real Estate Investor · chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 231 votes
    9y

    the appraiser works for the lender (actually, he works for the appraisal company which works for the lender) so a realtor has no say in who he gets to pick in the future.

    I did a FSBO and met 2 different appraisers (went fha so they take the lower of the 2 appraisals); I BS'd with them and gave them my comps; house appraised just fine; oh and it was a new comp for the area too. :)

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Scott W.:

     so a realtor has no say in who he gets to pick in the future.

    Listing agent gets the call from the appraiser he doesnt like....listing agent calls buyers agent, buyers agent calls the loan officer, loan officer requests new appraiser. Happens all the time.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.