Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2013 · 139 posts · 43 votes
Can a real estate agent represent the buyer and seller? I didn't see any previous discussions on this topic. Would they be willing to accept a slightly reduced commission for working both sides of the transaction? I am interested in this from a buyers perspective and I understand that this would put more of the due diligence on me and I would want my inspector etc. Has anyone done this? Thanks for any input!
Investor · Gilroy, CA · Member since 2016 · 255 posts · 195 votes
9y
@William R. From the standpoint of having both parties interest at heart it seems difficult. As soon as there is a conflict between buyer and seller, how can the agent be objective in moving forward for both parties. Not impossible, but seems difficult and precarious.
However, to answer your question, all things are negotiable in real estate. If the agent is representing both parties, a reduced commission should be negotiated. Seems fair, because it would also mean slightly less hassle since they would deal with themselves.
Investor · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2017 · 102 posts · 88 votes
9y
Yes they can. The seller pays the commission for the agent so a reduced commission won't help you on the price, unless the owner is willing to drop the price of the house because he is paying less commission... You can ask as you never know!! I would get my own real estate agent that way you don't have to worry about someone playing both sides of the fence.