• Investor
  • New Orleans, LA
Votes |
Buyer went behind my back

Joe Gee
  • Investor
  • New Orleans, LA
Posted May 23 2017, 21:50

I had a contract with the seller.  Put it out there and found a willing buyer that I've never worked with.  We signed an assignment contract and I gave him a copy of the contract.  I always feel funny about giving a new buyer I don't know the actual contract, but they need it because it is the contract they are taking over so I guess I have no choice (unless someone can give a tip how to handle this for the future.)  

The buyer then told me that he wanted to get a conventional loan for the property.  I told him since im wholesaling it, I only deal in cash.  He tried to see if he could get the money together but was unsuccessful.  So after a couple days, me and the buyer cancelled the contract. 

Couple days later, I get a text from the seller.  He wanted to get out of the contract cause of tax purposes and plus his wife just got a promotion at work so now they are able to afford to keep it.  My inspection was about to run out and I still haven't found a back up buyer, so I thought Ok i'll cancel the contract and move on.  

Well lo and behold, a few months later I check the assessors office and find the buyers name I was dealing with as the new owner's name.   

I technically do not have any legal recourse since I cancelled the contracts, but its a down right shady move.  I've had this happen only one other time in almost 5 years of wholesaling and it was when I first started out.  

Should I start whiting out the seller's information on the contract before I give it to the end buyer?  

I guess this is what I get for being nice...

Loading replies...