Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 157 votes
I just found out the AC unit needs to be replaced. The unit is 30 years old prior to the tenant being evicted it seem to work good. I got a quote from the ONE HOUR ac contractor and he said it'll cost 6k-8k to replace the Air handler, heat pump and entire wiring. This Cap EX is completely wiping out 1 yr of CF. What can I do ? Any suggestions \.
An AC system is made up of parts - outside compressor, interior air handler/blower, etc. I would find out what "part" broke and see if you can't limit the replacement to that part of the system (for now).
New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 125 posts · 48 votes
9y
Feel free to get some more quotes, but that doesn't sound too unreasonable. I recently got two quotes (one at $8k and one at $8.6k) to replace my air handler, condenser unit, and all the ductwork on my central AC system in my home.
It's just something you have to factor into your expenses. Like how you may set aside $X amount every month for CapEx, some months you may not have any costs at all, other months you may run into a big one. The good news is the new unit should last you a couple of decades.
An AC system is made up of parts - outside compressor, interior air handler/blower, etc. I would find out what "part" broke and see if you can't limit the replacement to that part of the system (for now).
Rental Property Investor · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2015 · 143 posts · 187 votes
9y
If the unit is 30 years old its doubtful you'd want to try to get it repaired unless its something really simple. 6-8k sounds about right, but get a couple more bids and try to get closer to 6k.
Feel free to get some more quotes, but that doesn't sound too unreasonable. I recently got two quotes (one at $8k and one at $8.6k) to replace my air handler, condenser unit, and all the ductwork on my central AC system in my home.
It's just something you have to factor into your expenses. Like how you may set aside $X amount every month for CapEx, some months you may not have any costs at all, other months you may run into a big one. The good news is the new unit should last you a couple of decades.
Absolutely. Should I get a brand new unit or should I get something used. It is a rental. I'm thinking brand new because of the warranties etc
Feel free to get some more quotes, but that doesn't sound too unreasonable. I recently got two quotes (one at $8k and one at $8.6k) to replace my air handler, condenser unit, and all the ductwork on my central AC system in my home.
It's just something you have to factor into your expenses. Like how you may set aside $X amount every month for CapEx, some months you may not have any costs at all, other months you may run into a big one. The good news is the new unit should last you a couple of decades.
Absolutely. Should I get a brand new unit or should I get something used. It is a rental. I'm thinking brand new because of the warranties etc
Hard to say without knowing some specific numbers. If you can get a used one at a huge discount, maybe even with a warranty, it would be something to consider.
However if a used is only 10% less than a new, then I'd say just go with the new. Depending on the unit, you may be eligible for tax credits rebate incentives.
Investor · New Haven, CT · Member since 2012 · 285 posts · 175 votes
9y
@Isiah Ferguson, The house is only 900sf, you can go with a couple of window units until you can get a price you like. Also you should consider a mini-split ductless system. You can order them online from www.alpinehomeair.com or acwholesalers.com. They are under $1500 and you can install 95% of it yourself if you are handy. You only need a tech to do the final pressure check, but even that is something you can do yourself.
@Isiah Ferguson, The house is only 900sf, you can go with a couple of window units until you can get a price you like. Also you should consider a mini-split ductless system. You can order them online from www.alpinehomeair.com or acwholesalers.com. They are under $1500 and you can install 95% of it yourself if you are handy. You only need a tech to do the final pressure check, but even that is something you can do yourself.
I think ductless will be the way to go. The unit is 900sq 2b/1b. If I place the Ductless in the living room, would it reach both bedrooms or do you think I should buy maybe 2 ?
Contractor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 379 posts · 740 votes
9y
One Hour Air is a franchise. They have a marketing budget, franchise fees, and generally higher expenses. You want an independent, investor friendly HVAC tech.
"Investor friendly" generally means a company that specializes in working for construction companies, remodelers, investors and such. They typically have little overhead, don't do much marketing, show up in old pickups instead of late-model vans, and the techs may have limited English. That stuff is important to homeowners paying retail, but a smart investor will only care if the work is done well.
General rule for AC is 1 ton per 500sf of living space. So you need a basic 2-ton system. I can get those installed for under $3K in my area using my regular HVAC tech. His English is a little rough - he mainly speaks redneck - but his prices are good and quality of work is excellent. Ask other investors in your local market for recommendations to someone like that.
Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
9y
@Isiah Ferguson I agree with you and the others that you should get more quotes. I'm doing work in NYC and Westchester County and I pay 6500 on the average. Thats 95% HE gas unit installed with compressor and airhandler, ductwork.
I think in NC you should be able to do better than my in NYC
Rental Property Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
9y
@Isiah Ferguson The bid feels $1,500 high, could be the duct work though. Have Concord HVAC give you a bid. They have done around 8 replacements for me and the price and quality has always been first rate. They are also very good on responding to service calls as well. Ask for Eugene.