Follow my journey with multifamily purchase #5.

Follow my journey with multifamily purchase #5.

Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 102 votes
Follow my journey tracking progress on multi family #5. This thread will discuss the steps I have/will take to make my most recent real estate acquisition successful. Let me get you up to speed. Here's what's happened so far: - got a call from a broker that had an off market deal in the Fort Hill section of Roxbury (Boston) which was steps to the orange line and less than three miles to down town. - existing 3-family brownstone with a large walk out basement which was partially finished. Owner asking $950k. 3,800 gross square footage. - told the broker to set up a walk through and I asked my long time general contractor to meet me there to identify any deal breakers. On my renovation projects I typically gut the entire building down to the studs so I am looking for really big items (e.g. foundation falling apart, pervasive insect damage,etc.). - the building had been sitting vacant for nearly a year. Lots of water damage, super ugly, terrible floor plan, junk from previous tenants everywhere. In other words...EXACTLY WHAT I LOOK FOR! Value! --I run Numbers with my contractor on the sidewalk. He is thinking around $525-550k in Reno costs (excluding appliances, attorney/architect fees, and building permit). - put in an offer at $875k. I would pay asking but figured I'd give it a shot. Ended up being another offer at full asking of $950, so I bumped my offer to $960. My broker had a relationship with the seller so that was enough to get it done. -- called my bank the next day and told them what I wanted to do. Four 950 square foot units; 3- beds, 2-baths. Total gut job. High end looking remodel. 600k in total projected renovations which they would finance. I am a pretty good customer of theirs with nearly >$3 million of outstandings with them and have a track record of success. Within a week I had approval for a $720k loan for purchase and $600k in financing for renovations, pending the appraisal. --$3000-$3300 per unit per month. 12-13k total rent per month. Total free cash flow of 4-5k per month. -- got as-built plans from the previous owner and started marking them up in Microsoft Paint to show an optimized floor plan. Called up my architect and let him know that he has another job bringing my vision to life. I'll have a separate post on how we came to the current floor plan. -- bank ordered the appraisal. Needed to come back at just under $1.8 million to get what I wanted from the bank. Researched comps and put together a excel spreadsheet to give to the appraiser which maps to that $1.8 million valuation. -- engaged a zoning attorney to help me with the variances needed to do what I want to do with the property. -- appraisal came back today...$1.8 mil. Bam! We are off to the races. Close end of September. I am pumped. Another deal closer to retirement.
7Reply
110 views

Most Popular Reply

Anthony GaydenPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
9y
Ari Goldschneider I love reading about investing in expensive markets. Putting 1.6 million into a 4 plex seems odd to me, but I imagine that in your market, that is the biggest multi family you could get with that amount of money. Anyway good luck. I imagine this as more of an appreciation play than anything?
See this reply in the discussion

53 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Newcastle, CA · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 9 votes
    9y
    That's incredible. Those are some big numbers! Nice job!!!
  • Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 102 votes
    9y

    Here are the as builts. I will share where we finally ended up on floor plan shortly but wanted to see if people's ideas are in line with mine. Again - 3 beds (with closets), 2 baths, 

    in unit washer dryer, and adequate living room. How do we fit that in 950 square feet?

  • China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    @Account Closed I must be misunderstanding something:  "$3000-$3300 per unit per month. 12-13k total rent per month."

    $3300/unit X 3 units sounds like $9,900/month.

    Are you adding a 4th unit?

  • Frisco, TX · Member since 2017 · 201 posts · 95 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Charlie MacPherson:

    @Account Closed I must be misunderstanding something:  "$3000-$3300 per unit per month. 12-13k total rent per month."

    $3300/unit X 3 units sounds like $9,900/month.

    Are you adding a 4th unit?

    @Charlie McPherson - yes he is. It's in the first post. 

  • China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    @Debra Grumbach I missed that.  Now it makes more sense.  

    I know those buildings - he must be finishing the basement, which is quite the feat!

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 102 votes
    9y

    Finalized plans with the architect. I can't think of a better way for us to maximize our floorplan. Really excited about how things ended up. Plus we added a roof deck!

    What do you think?

  • Jiva SegaranPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Easton, MA · Member since 2014 · 84 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    THAT'S IMPRESSIVE AND EXCITING!  Thanks for sharing @ari goldschneider #motivating 

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 102 votes
    9y
    Closing Wednesday 9/27. Pictures of the building as is to come. Get ready to see a transformation from beginning to end!
  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Ari Goldschneider I love reading about investing in expensive markets. Putting 1.6 million into a 4 plex seems odd to me, but I imagine that in your market, that is the biggest multi family you could get with that amount of money. Anyway good luck. I imagine this as more of an appreciation play than anything?
  • Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 102 votes
    9y
    Anthony Gayden , this is a cash flow play. With a renovated building, the unit should generate 12-13k in rent per month and 4-5k in cash flow after all expenses are paid and debt is serviced. Appreciation is always nice but not something I put into my assessment to purchase. I look for a property to generate at least a 15% cash on cash return post renovation. Cash on cash return is probably the most important metric I look at.
  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Account Closed

    Using your numbers that seems like a pretty good return on you investment. The appreciation will be icing on the cake and in a market like Boston, I imagine it will be a lot of icing.

  • Realtor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 266 posts · 182 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed Very impressive and thank you for sharing! Glad to see the cashflow and return in such an expensive market is possible. Comparing my market in Macon, Ga getting my units for $20k - $30k is like night and day to your Boston market. I know the appreciation is icing on the cake, but with the Boston market being so hot and continuing to stay hot, I can only imagine what the appraisal will come in at over the next few years.

    Best of luck and continued success in your real estate endeavors!

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 102 votes
    9y
    Thanks Curtis Rouse . I'm super excited about this one!
  • Notes Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2012 · 109 posts · 51 votes
    9y

    @ Ari Goldschneider - Thanks for sharing your project. Like @ Anthony said "there will be a lot of icing on the cake" since it's Boston.

    Anyway, are you lived in San Diego? As there is a meetup group scheduled for tonight 6:00PM PST.

    Cheers,

  • Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2015 · 319 posts · 80 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed Congrats! I really like how you make gut renos on a rental property work. Can you talk a bit more about the numbers and financing? What bank do you use and where are you getting the 25% down? I'd also love to see all the numbers you used to analyze the rental once rehabbed.

    This is a perfect example of why I'm obsessed with networking with as many people as possible right now.

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 102 votes
    9y
    Hi Patrick Wheeler - I am purchasing for $960k and putting $600k into the property. My loan is for 75% of the purchase price ($720k) and 100% of the renovations. Total loan is for $1,320,000. Of note, the maximum the bank is willing to finance in total is 75% the renovated value of the building ($1,800,000). To the extent the appraisal did not come back at this high a number, I would have needed to finance a portion of the renovations with cash. This is one of the reasons why the appraisal is SO important. I can get into how you get the valuation you are looking for from the appraiser in a separate post (to the extent people are interested). I use Mike Wiseman at Norwood Bank. They have a group dedicated to commercial real estate and got me approval fast on this transaction. I got the $250-300k for the down payment and closing costs from a line of credit on one of my previous renovation projects. That property had a purchase price of $900k, renovation costs of $750k and appraised out after rehab at $2,300,000. There was ample equity to get a line of credit on this property to finance the next one. You had a question about the numbers I used to analyze the rental...what did you mean by that? How did I calculate cash on cash return?
  • Medford, NY · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    New to this and trying to understand. You essentially put no cash down, right? The 25% you needed in cash was just taken from equity in another property?

    If that's the case, how do you really calculate a Cash on Cash return?

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 102 votes
    9y
    Tom Weyer - that's correct. I have funded multifamilies 2-5 with no additional paid in capital. As such, the way I calculate cash on cash return is based on cash that I am bringing to the deal (I.e. Cash that's not funded from the bank for this transaction). For example, if I bring $260k in down payment and closing cost to the deal, that number is my denominator. Make sense?
  • Medford, NY · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Yup; and I guess it really is your cash anyway. Just tied up in another rental. Thanks!

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    But you are paying interest on that line of credit you used to pay the down payment etc, so its not quite the same thing as "cash" just sitting there.... so doesn't that interest factor into your real "cash on cash" return?

    Those are some big numbers..... that kind of stuff scares the crap out of me :)

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 102 votes
    9y
    Ned Jackson Yes - that interest is factored into the cash on cash return. The return would higher if it was straight "cash" from the bank. I don't have that type of coin just hanging around. All of my wealth is tied up in real estate. :)
  • Investor · Venice, CA · Member since 2016 · 163 posts · 49 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed Bravo! That's impressive. 

  • Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2016 · 287 posts · 270 votes
    9y
    This thread is awesome. Thanks so much for sharing! I'm really looking forward to following along for the next few months.
  • Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2015 · 319 posts · 80 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed Thanks for providing the additional info on the financing! In terms of the rental numbers, I meant for example, what do you expect PITI to be, plus vacancy (assuming 0-2%?), property management, etc? If I remember correctly, with your strategy (gut renos) you don't really factor in repairs/maintenance and capex, which makes sense. I just always like to see monthly expense numbers so I can always be practicing running the numbers myself like I did with your financing numbers!

    If you don't mind sharing those rental numbers*!

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 102 votes
    9y

    Property p&l below. I assume no vacancy (there never is) nor property management costs (I self manage). 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.