Adding person to LLC

5 Replies

I have some of my properties under an LLC. I would like to add a (grown) family member to the LLC using an amendment. I can add in other amendments about ownership percentage and survivorship but my question is do I need a partnership agreement on top of that. I am all buy and hold.

RH in Missouri

Should be a simple resolution, but you might want to consult with an attorney, this is probably a simple boiler plate form for them and should not cost a lot of $$, however they might have some input on to questions that might need to be decided on what and how to add.

@Richard Heine the proper procedure is going to be very dependent on your state statutes on how to do this. In Texas, you just file 1 form and that's it. Missouri might be the same...but it may not be. We have a specific state department that handles filings and they are very friendly with answering questions. I would bet that Missouri would have a similar department that could advise you on how to properly add someone to your LLC. Give them a call first and see what they say. Hope this helps!

Andrew Postell, Lender in Texas (#392627)
817-873-0621

Yes, Missouri has an amendment form and it's probably time to update the minutes with a new meeting.  Thanks and I will get back with more info. I meet with my attorney tomorrow.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.