Adding person to LLC

5 Replies

I have some of my properties under an LLC. I would like to add a (grown) family member to the LLC using an amendment. I can add in other amendments about ownership percentage and survivorship but my question is do I need a partnership agreement on top of that. I am all buy and hold.

RH in Missouri

Should be a simple resolution, but you might want to consult with an attorney, this is probably a simple boiler plate form for them and should not cost a lot of $$, however they might have some input on to questions that might need to be decided on what and how to add.

Hey, no need for a partnership agreement. You will want to have some meeting minutes about this as well as issue stock.

@Richard Heine the proper procedure is going to be very dependent on your state statutes on how to do this. In Texas, you just file 1 form and that's it. Missouri might be the same...but it may not be. We have a specific state department that handles filings and they are very friendly with answering questions. I would bet that Missouri would have a similar department that could advise you on how to properly add someone to your LLC. Give them a call first and see what they say. Hope this helps!

This is done in the Operating Agreement, usually via an Amendment to the OA Exhibit concerning current Members. 

Yes, Missouri has an amendment form and it's probably time to update the minutes with a new meeting.  Thanks and I will get back with more info. I meet with my attorney tomorrow.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here