I just did a first inspection and I need help from contractors

3 Replies

This is my first house I was trying to buy. I did the inspection and have the result. It is old (1956) house and it has more then expected problems. and I want a contractor help to estimate the cost of repair by looking at the inspection sheet so that house price would be drop or present owner would fix it or overall just pass this house. Any Helpers for new buyer?

Do you work with a handyman now? If not, go to your local paint store and see if there is a wall of business cards, or ask a Realtor for a favor and some help. They might have people who can give you estimates. 

Can you share any of the issues? 

Most of the time you don't want the seller doing any repairs. It is better to get price concessions and do the repairs yourself. Whether or not that is possible depends on your market and what your agreed-upon price is right now. 

What types of problems did the inspection find? 

All inspections will uncover problems, especially in a 60 year old house.  You can't really expect someone to be able to accurately (key word) put a price to a fix without looking at it.  Every location has different building codes and requirements as well as labor costs and different pricing between different contractors.  Your best course of action (without knowing what the issues are) is to get in contact with a local contractor who can give you pricing.  They might be able to do it over the phone if you know all the details of what you want done.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here