Buying a SFH that has been converted to Triplex with no Permits?

2 Replies

Found a triplex that cashflows on paper, has large rooms, high ceilings, and in B- area. Only issue is that it is a SFH that owner converted to 3 separate units without pulling permits.

It's a 3/1, and (2) 1/1s.  Gross cash income is $2,850 and asking $240,000.  I feel like I could get it cheaper as it doesn't have any permits pulled but wondering if it is smart.  Obviously I don't want my tenants to get shocked from a bad wiring job but I figure my inspector would go through all of these items to make sure it is up to code.

Wondering what my options are in regards to this property. Is it worth pursuing? Do I need to get the Seller to pull permits before closing? What kind of penalty would I face if I got caught using a SFH as a Multi family dwelling?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!  Thanks!

@Tim Kaminski

Read this thread Illegall duplex

There is couple replys from FL as well. 

Also if you are not buying it cash, most likely you will not to be able to get mortgage. Underwriter will want to see the use of the property the same as physical use. Meaning that you can not have 3 kitchens in a SFH.

Thanks @Yuriy Skripnichenko .  Most of those response are based on the idea that the property was a legal non conforming duplex so similar but not quite my situation.  Still gives me some idea of what it would take to convert it to a multi family. 3-5 months of a vacant property sounds troubling.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.