removing incorrect listing from auction.com

7 Replies

I recently purchased a mixed use building (vacant) in Newton, NJ, working on remodeling the building.  Another property two doors down went on the auction.com for sale.   

Auction.com put in incorrect property address in listing.  As a result, many investors came to my property, knocked/pushed the front door open, damaged the door and the lock, helped themselves to walk around while my contractor came back from home depot.  All investors insist that my property is on sale and they have right to inspect.  The listed agent said he is incorrectly listed.  Investors are snooping around the property, try to bully the contractor to view inside.  I got confirmation eMails from auction.com that they will look into it a few days ago.  Nothing happened.  Yesterday, someone went and posted "for sale" sign by auction.com on my door.  

Auction.com customer service is pretty bad.  They tole me that it is my responsibility to convince the trustee/attorney of the listing that they made a mistake and then request them to remove listing.   She was unable to provide any info regarding if they have any validation in place to confirm the listing details.  She didn't know if there is any governance/compliance in place.  Upon asking additional questions, she hung up the phone.  Upon explicitly asking, she denied to provide her employee id or name.

Any recommendations?  

Call the police when someone goes inside uninvited or when they harass the contractor.  Charges for trespassing and burglary will not go unnoticed.  

(720) 598-0793

I agree with @Ed E. have your contractors instructed to call the police if anyone shows up to the property without your knowing about it. Let them know this is trespassing. Remove the for sale sign as well. I can't imagine someone isn't going to try and fix the issue of an incorrect address.

Agree with the others. Sounds like this is a “court house” auction of which auction.com isn’t a part of. The trustees don’t usually publish addresses, but legal descriptions instead. It will be kind of entertaining when someone buys the other building, thinking that they bought yours.

@Ed E. - Thanks, I have instructed my contractor to do it.  The challenge is - investors like you and I have no idea and they are misled by incorrect information.  

@Russell Brazil : We posted sign once and it was gone the following day.  We will post it again and see if it stays.

@Brian Pulaski : Yeah, not sure.  I think it is lack of auction.com (TenX)'s ability to monitor for incorrect or fraudulent information.  It makes me wonder that one should do a lot of due diligence of the property listed there.  There doesn't seem to be an accountability from company's standpoint.

@Wayne Brooks : I thought about someone buying the building under false assumption.  Although I would chuckle at the onset, later the new buyer may cause disturbance out of frustration as well.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

Hey @Arjav Parikh , why not find out the correct address of the property being sold and post a sign saying there was an error in the add and give the correct address.  Add another sign underneath saying due to problems trespassers are now being arrested and prosecuted.  Give them 2 options go to the right place or get arrested.

@Jerry W. : The correct address is two doors down.  We told folks who came to see our property that the correct address is two doors down, usual response we got, both properties are included in the sale :-)

Finally auction.com has deleted this listing and we don't get those folks coming to our property anymore.  Although no apologies or regret offered by auction.com for error or damage to my property, albeit minor - damaged door/lock etc.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.