Commercial loan on 4 unit?

Commercial loan on 4 unit?

Pat JacksonPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Reno, NV · Member since 2017 · 284 posts · 137 votes
Can one get a commercial loan on a 4 unit/4 plex? I don’t think you can, however I saw some 4 units on loopnet so it got me wondering. If not, can you take a hodpodge of 1-4 units, group them together, and then get a commercial loan? I know this works with a portfolio, however I’m under the impression a commercial loan will have better terms than a portfolio. Seems like it might be a neat way to BRRRR, buy distressed properties, get them performing, then lump them together on a cash out commercial loan. Impossible?
0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris MasonPro Member
Moderator
Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
8y
Originally posted by @Pat Jackson:
Can one get a commercial loan on a 4 unit/4 plex? I don’t think you can, however I saw some 4 units on loopnet so it got me wondering.

If not, can you take a hodpodge of 1-4 units, group them together, and then get a commercial loan? I know this works with a portfolio, however I’m under the impression a commercial loan will have better terms than a portfolio.

Seems like it might be a neat way to BRRRR, buy distressed properties, get them performing, then lump them together on a cash out commercial loan. Impossible?

 If you prefer a slower closing, higher rates, ARMs, higher fees, etc, then yes you can take out a commercial loan on a residential 1-4 unit rental property. 

Commercial appraisals are based more on current rents than current comps, and commercial appraisals/underwriters generally ignore all forms of projected rents in favor of current actual rents. 

The big upside of commercial v residential is that your personal finances aren't emphasized as much as they are for residential. 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Pat Jackson, why would you prefer a commercial loan? Just askin'...

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y

    We often take a group of properties, usually SFH and small multis, to community banks to refinance them as a package, but it's more for convenience. Generally speaking, residential loans are better than commercial (unless you get to really big apartments and Fannie Mae products and the like). The appraisals are a lot cheaper for example. I would just see what banks will offer for such a property and go from there.

  • Pat JacksonPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Reno, NV · Member since 2017 · 284 posts · 137 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brent Coombs:

    @Pat Jackson, why would you prefer a commercial loan? Just askin'...

    I was wondering if you could take an existing 4 unit that's underperforming, get it going correctly (raise rents, fix it up, lower net operating expenses, etc) if you could get a commercial loan and get some cash back.

    Doesn't sound likely.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Pat Jackson:
    Can one get a commercial loan on a 4 unit/4 plex? I don’t think you can, however I saw some 4 units on loopnet so it got me wondering.

    If not, can you take a hodpodge of 1-4 units, group them together, and then get a commercial loan? I know this works with a portfolio, however I’m under the impression a commercial loan will have better terms than a portfolio.

    Seems like it might be a neat way to BRRRR, buy distressed properties, get them performing, then lump them together on a cash out commercial loan. Impossible?

     If you can qualify for a residential 30 year loan that's the route you should take. The terms are much more friendly. But if that isn't in the cards you can get a commercial loan but it's tough. Most commercial lenders don't want something that small in their portfolio. However you hit hit the phones hard enough eventually you should find someone who is interested in lending on it.

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Pat Jackson:
    Can one get a commercial loan on a 4 unit/4 plex? I don’t think you can, however I saw some 4 units on loopnet so it got me wondering.

    If not, can you take a hodpodge of 1-4 units, group them together, and then get a commercial loan? I know this works with a portfolio, however I’m under the impression a commercial loan will have better terms than a portfolio.

    Seems like it might be a neat way to BRRRR, buy distressed properties, get them performing, then lump them together on a cash out commercial loan. Impossible?

     If you prefer a slower closing, higher rates, ARMs, higher fees, etc, then yes you can take out a commercial loan on a residential 1-4 unit rental property. 

    Commercial appraisals are based more on current rents than current comps, and commercial appraisals/underwriters generally ignore all forms of projected rents in favor of current actual rents. 

    The big upside of commercial v residential is that your personal finances aren't emphasized as much as they are for residential. 

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Pat Jackson:
    Originally posted by @Brent Coombs:

    @Pat Jackson, why would you prefer a commercial loan? Just askin'...

    I was wondering if you could take an existing 4 unit that's underperforming, get it going correctly (raise rents, fix it up, lower net operating expenses, etc) if you could get a commercial loan and get some cash back.

    Doesn't sound likely.

    What Chris Mason wrote! I believe what it boils down to is: Whether you go for a residential loan or commercial, their appraisal for a 4-plex will still be based on sold comps, rather than rent.

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Pat Jackson

    You attracted some real heavy hitters with this post.  Well done.

    The short answer to your question is yes, you can get commercial money for your 4 unit.  The ONLY reason to do that would be if you don't qualify for Fannie/Freddie money (debt ratio is high, the bank you've chosen has overlays, seasoning etc...).

    Try a local bank, try a mortgage broker and whomever else you can try to get regular residential money. Once you've exhausted those avenues, then find a small balance commercial broker that will close it. It should take less than 30 days with no income verification, no seasoning of title if you just bought it and will more than likely have either a 30 year amortization with an ARM feature or a regular 30 year fixed. Beware, rates and points will not be close to Fannie or Freddie.

    Happy investing

    Stephanie

  • Pat JacksonPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Reno, NV · Member since 2017 · 284 posts · 137 votes
    8y

    I appreciate all the responses!  From what I've read, I'm taking away.

    1. Though not easy, you can get a commercial property on a 4 plex.
    2. Unless you can't get a conventional mortgage, a commercial loan is not a good idea.  I was optimistic one could buy an under-performing 4 plex, turn it around, force appreciation, and pull out cash with a commercial refinance.  BRRCR (Buy, Rehab, Rent, Commercial Refinance, Repeat).  Doesn't sound like it's a good idea!
  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Pat Jackson:

    I appreciate all the responses!  From what I've read, I'm taking away.

    1. Though not easy, you can get a commercial property on a 4 plex.
    2. Unless you can't get a conventional mortgage, a commercial loan is not a good idea.  I was optimistic one could buy an under-performing 4 plex, turn it around, force appreciation, and pull out cash with a commercial refinance.  BRRCR (Buy, Rehab, Rent, Commercial Refinance, Repeat).  Doesn't sound like it's a good idea!

    Was this a rhetorical Thread, or, have you "accidentally" ended up with a residential instead of a commercial building? I would think that largely, the same logistics still apply for both. Either, you bought a bargain for no more than 70-75% (all-in) what it'll actually be worth, or, you didn't!...

  • Pat JacksonPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Reno, NV · Member since 2017 · 284 posts · 137 votes
    8y

    Haha, it's theoretical @Brent Coombs

    There's a 4 plex I'm interested in, and I think appreciation can be forced like a larger property.  I haven't bought it though :)

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Pat Jackson:

    Haha, it's theoretical @Brent Coombs

    There's a 4 plex I'm interested in, and I think appreciation can be forced like a larger property.  I haven't bought it though :)

    Just remember, its "appreciation can be forced" only up to the sold (ARV) comps around it, not by improving its rental return. (But of course, you still benefit from doing that). Cheers...

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 17 votes
    8y
    @pat jackson did you ever buy that fourplex? What did your debt service research reveal? I am curious because there is some varying advice in this thread. You absolutely can “treat” a fourplex as a commercial multifamily, repositioning and stabilizing, lowering expenses, increasing rents, etc, subsequently increasing NOI and value. Just know that you will run in to lenders and appraisers who will think it HAS to be treated as a residential property, but that is not the case. You can request an income approach appraisal (may cost you extra) in addition to a sales comparison approach, provide the lease agreements and P&L for the property, and see where the numbers fall. We have done it on numerous occasions. Having done both SFRs and small Multifamilies, I prefer the BRRRR method on multi’s because you have WAY more control over the aspects that drive the value. My two cents! Lets us know how the project went!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.