Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Pat Jackson
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
Paying off properties early....love it or hate it?

Pat Jackson
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Reno, NV
Posted

I've read a lot of the forum posts, blogs, and am on podcast 131 (working my way through them), and paying off properties early vs. paying them off over the life of the loan seems to be a fairly divisive topic.  Before I go any further, I'm talking about 30 year conventional mortgages, not hard money, portfolio loans, etc.  I'm also primarily interested in buy and hold investing.

On one side you have the folks that say don't do it.  Reason's I've retained:

1. Minimize your own cash in a deal.
  2. Use someone else's cash to buy a property (the bank) and another person's to pay off the loan (the renter).
  3. Buy more properties (simplistic example: buy one 100k property cash, or finance four 100k properties).  This is likely the case, though can be more risky.

On the other side, paying off a mortgage early:

1. Pay off a property and increase cash flow.  I understand some people claim this is a terrible idea.
  2. Less risk.  Jay Hinrichs points out in podcast 222 that one should pay off their properties sooner than later, in case something unforeseen/bad happens, you have multiple (good) exit strategies.
  3. You can leverage your properties. This is something I'm really excited about. I'm in the process of getting a HELOC with PenFed Credit Union, 80% LTV. I'll be able to borrow more cash than I have put into the place.
  4. The no good, terrible, very bad banks (joking) get less of "your" money in interest?

Right now I'm interested in either paying off a property completely, or doing delayed financing and having no cash in a deal. I'd like to buy another house and get it paid off asap, that would give me ~200k in usable HELOC cash between my primary residence HELOC and two investment properties.

That's just me.  What do others like to do, pay it off, or ride the mortgage wave?

Loading replies...